Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

problems with brand new wega

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-13-02, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I finally broke down and bought a 32 inch, 16:9 compatible, high def sony wega. I had read different reviews, shopped around and found a good deal (in the end, will cost me about $1,420 when it retails for $1799). I also bought a progressive scan DVD player to go with it. While going through the set up on one of those picture/audio setup DVDs, I noticed a small greenish section in the lower right corner. I had read about "burn in" and was wondering if that's what I am seeing. The TV is brand new. Of course, I ordered it over the internet and can't really return it - not that I could fit it in my car even if I did buy locally. Its covered by Sony warranty. Do they send someone out or do I have to take it somewhere? Should I pay for an extended warranty from a third party?

The problem is very minor and hardly noticeable but since I am paying a good penny, I don't expect to see little greenish tints in the corner - especially if it is a sign of worse things to come.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-14-02, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Call Sony immediately. Wegas are very prone to problems. One of which is discolored portion of the screen and geometry problems. Call them and they'll send someone out to try and repair the set.
Old 02-14-02, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by dfbennett
Call Sony immediately. Wegas are very prone to problems. One of which is discolored portion of the screen and geometry problems. Call them and they'll send someone out to try and repair the set.
Agreed.

Also, you dont have a speaker close to the set do you? If you do, move it further away. If the normal degauss cycle does not take care of it then it needs to be serviced,
Old 02-14-02, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks!

I do have the speaker next to the set so I will try to move it. If that doesn't work - I'll call.
Old 02-14-02, 09:13 AM
Cool New Member

Also, quartz space heaters will put a serious whammy on Wega's. Nothing permanent, just move it away and it will be fine.
Old 02-14-02, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bought a 27" Trinitron several years ago, and it had a greenish spot near the top of the screen. I left it alone and it faded away after a day or two. It hasn't ever come back.

I say just give it some time.
Old 02-14-02, 09:41 AM

I bought a 27" Trinitron several years ago, and it had a greenish spot near the top of the screen. I left it alone and it faded away after a day or two. It hasn't ever come back.
I think its fair to say that television sets were built better several years ago - not knocking present day Sony at all - but electronics these days are more prone to problems than their elder kin of years ago. I don't agree with a "leave it and see if it fixes itself" attitude because 99.999999% of the time it doesn't. If anything, it will get worse and might end up costing you more than if you had initially just called in the problem at the first inkling of it.

Remeber, when you shell out over $1000.00 for a TV, you expect to get top-quality for your dollar (usually) so having someone come out and look/repair it is the best and safest route to go.

As for VEGAs being prone to problems, I had a geometry problem with my XBR400 that I was going to call into the electronics store where I bought it from (the picture seemed a little askew - news tickers a the bottom wouldn't be level with the frame of the set), but after reading through the manual I fixed it by changing the tilt of the picture via the setup menu, and now all is well - but I would've had a repairman out there as fast as I could if I couldn't fix it myself.

Last edited by goatweed; 02-14-02 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-14-02, 12:31 PM
X
Administrator

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by Goblincat
I say just give it some time.
With Sony you don't have much time. They just have 90 days of labor warranty.
Old 02-14-02, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by X
With Sony you don't have much time. They just have 90 days of labor warranty.
I meant a day or two.
Old 02-14-02, 10:43 PM

As for VEGAs being prone to problems, I had a geometry problem with my XBR400 that I was going to call into the electronics store where I bought it from (the picture seemed a little askew - news tickers a the bottom wouldn't be level with the frame of the set), but after reading through the manual I fixed it by changing the tilt of the picture via the setup menu, and now all is well - but I would've had a repairman out there as fast as I could if I couldn't fix it myself. [/B][/QUOTE]

i think almost all flat-screen tV's have that problem, i looked at hundreds on tv's at different stores and Sony, Philips and Panasonic couldn't draw straight lines, they'll be areas where the line seem to be askew..i have the cheap 27 Sony WEGA and luckily the problem is not that bad, i've seen alot worse. my friend has a Philips 32 flat and yep same problem...just run the THX optimizer test and see if the color bars are straight
Old 02-15-02, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by duy37
i think almost all flat-screen tV's have that problem, i looked at hundreds on tv's at different stores and Sony, Philips and Panasonic couldn't draw straight lines, they'll be areas where the line seem to be askew..i have the cheap 27 Sony WEGA and luckily the problem is not that bad, i've seen alot worse. my friend has a Philips 32 flat and yep same problem...just run the THX optimizer test and see if the color bars are straight
Not all of them do, two of my friends have Samsungs and they are straight when checked with a calibration disc.
Old 02-15-02, 11:04 AM
Banned

My Samsung Dynaflat TV worked fine right out of the box.