- Denon, harman/kardon or Yamaha receiver
- Energy satellite speakers and center
- Speaker stands of your choice
- Panasonic RP-91, Malata or JVC 60-series DVD (good progressive scan players)
- I'm not too well-versed on subs so you're on your own
- AVIA DVD disc to fine-tune the television picture
Buy the stuff online and you'll save major cash, or at least go to a store that will match your best online price.
Don't believe the hype about really expensive cables and wires: anything more than AR cables and plain ol' Home Depot 16ga speaker wire and you're wasting your money (unless you have a $50,000+ audio system).
Hook the DVD player up to the TV's "component" (not composite) inputs if it has 'em, otherwise use the S-video input.
A good resource, even better than here, is www.audioreview.com
to compare countless A/V products.
Check out my system in my signature - I have no regrets and would have bought the same equipment with better speakers if I'd had more money when I bought it all.