Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Yet another S-Video question, about receivers.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-02, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the market for a new receiver. I'm looking for one with 2 optical inputs(X-Box & DVD). In my search, I found one that had 4 S-Video inputs. Why would you need S-Video inputs on an audio receiver.

This is probably a really stupid question, but to me it's like having video in's on a boom-box.
Old 01-04-02, 03:08 PM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alot of Tv's only have one of any given input on back, so the Reciever is used as an A/B switch in essence, so when you switch from say X-Box to DVD not only will it switch audio sources but video sources as well, kinda handy huh
Old 01-04-02, 03:18 PM

So dose that mean that the Receiver will also have or need to have a Video input/output?
Old 01-04-02, 03:22 PM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes they also have a single video out of the same medium, say a s-video out, some of your more expensive recievers will even do component video switching as well. Not really needed yet as most of us only have 1 or 2 component video sources but it will be getting more and more useful.
Old 01-04-02, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Yet another S-Video question, about receivers.

Originally posted by dvdsteve2000
Why would you need S-Video inputs on an audio receiver.
My RPTV has 2 S-Video inputs, but I have an S-VHS, Playstation, Pioneer DVL-919 LD combo player and a DSS system. I use S-Video out on all these sources. My AV/Receiver has more then 4 inputs. Any questions?
Old 01-04-02, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Yet another S-Video question, about receivers.

Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama

My RPTV has 2 S-Video inputs, but I have an S-VHS, Playstation, Pioneer DVL-919 LD combo player and a DSS system. I use S-Video out on all these sources. My AV/Receiver has more then 4 inputs. Any questions?
OK, so you run 4 s-vid inputs into your receiver, then one s-vid out into your tv?
Old 01-04-02, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Re: Yet another S-Video question, about receivers.

OK, so you run 4 s-vid inputs into your receiver, then one s-vid out into your tv?
Yep. My other DVD player runs via component cable directly to the tv, but for all other sources it's simply a matter of selecting them on the receiver and not having to change inputs on my tv.
Old 01-04-02, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: Yet another S-Video question, about receivers.

Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama

Yep. My other DVD player runs via component cable directly to the tv, but for all other sources it's simply a matter of selecting them on the receiver and not having to change inputs on my tv.
That's awesome!! Do you have optical in's also (on your receiver)? If you have more than one, how do you select which component 'gets sound' since you change 'sources' for s-vid in's?
Old 01-05-02, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Yet another S-Video question, about receivers.

That's awesome!! Do you have optical in's also (on your receiver)? If you have more than one, how do you select which component 'gets sound' since you change 'sources' for s-vid in's?
The receiver I'm using right now is my old Pioneer VSX-D608 (I was using the Sunfire Theater Grand II for a long time...but now back to the receiver for a while... *sigh*...long story, lol)
and it has optical and coaxial inputs, which are assignable to a video source. I use the coaxial for the Pioneer 343, and the toslink for the Pioneer DVL-919. All other video sources use the analog inputs (RCA) for audio. Switching sources on the reciever automatically switches audio as well.
While it's unfair to compare audio capabilities of my current receiver and old processor, I have no complaints about it at all otherwise. It makes it very handy to be able to switch between source material.