Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Big Screen Suggestion?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Big Screen Suggestion?

Old 12-30-01, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Screen Suggestion?

Looking for a 53-61 inch new projection tv. Should I care about HDTV. Looks like that entire concept is a bust that may never happen on a wide scale. Appreciate any suggestions on brand/model and good prices.

Thanks
Rob
Old 12-30-01, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tonight while playing in BestBuy, I saw Sony's new widescreen rear projection 57" HDTV ready set. It was gorgeous. The BestBuy lackeys had to get out the screen cleaner to get my drool off the set.

Give it a look.
Old 12-30-01, 09:41 PM

Any idea how much they wanted for that set? I am amazed how Best Buy has their sets all calibrated wrong, colors way off etc on the projection tvs. Selling the expensive stuff requires a better presention.
Old 12-30-01, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Big Screen Suggestion?

Originally posted by robertw477
Looking for a 53-61 inch new projection tv. Should I care about HDTV. Looks like that entire concept is a bust that may never happen on a wide scale. Appreciate any suggestions on brand/model and good prices.

Thanks
Rob
Boy, It's obvious you are listening to all the un-informed reporters who put out flatly flase statements about HDTV! Why DO YOU say HDTV will be a bust? Prices have plummeted in the last year and programming has increased a lot in the past year as well! HDTV's are selling in the millions now and will continue to increase reaching critical mass within the next few years! The advent of DVD also will help increase HDTV sales as DVD are FAR, FAR better on them as opposed to Analog TV's! You need to start reading from INFORMED sources and not the hack wirters/reporters who do next to no investigating when they do their reports! Go to AVSForum.com to start with and get the REAL info on HD!

And YES, the future is High Def and if you are buying you should go 16x9 and not the old 4x3 standard unless you plan on keeping the TV for only a couple years and watch almost all 4x3 material and little DVD or HD content! To put out all the money for a nice HDTV and be forced to have a letterboxed image when watching High Def is rediculous to say the least! 16x9 aspect ratio and higher is the future for all TV and to buy 4x3 for the future will only leave you kicking yourself!
Old 01-01-02, 09:09 PM
0ne

This is my baby right here

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=25

(Pioneer 53) can generally be found in retail stores like best buy for around 3000 and online or w/ a discount hovering abouve 2000. An amazing set.

If you aren't looking to go Widescreen I reccommend this

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=25 ( or any of the Toshiba H series)

This

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=25

Sony HD Projo ( BUY A SCREEN PROTECTOR )

or the Hitachi .

http://circuitcity.com/ewebIMa/frame...ductsearch.jsp

In that order