Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

which would you choos for $2000

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-01, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok please offer any feedback deemed necessary by yourself on the following and tell me which one you would choose. I am going to best buy in about a week to grab one of these tv's. Keep in mind I have $1250 in Gift certificates so no matter what i pick i am getting one he11 of a bargain

1. Samsung 32" dynaflat hdtv monitor tsl3293HF for $1399

2. Rca 32" hdtv mm32110 for $1399

3. Samsung 54" Rear-Projection HDTV Monitor with 2-Tuner Picture-In-Picture Model: PCL5415RX for $1999.00

4.Samsung 47" 16:9 Widescreen Rear-Projection HDTV Monitor with 2-Tuner Picture-In-Picture Model: HCL4715W for $1999

5.Sony 43" Rear-Projection High-Definition Television Monitor
Model: KP-43HT20 with Digital Reality Creation for $1999

A. I mainly watch dvd's but my fiancee watches tv all the time
B. My dvd player is a sony 5 disc

QUESTION: What in the heck is digital reality creation? (Sony 43")

All these are available at Best Buy.....so which do you think is the best buy? I would love to here from anyone who owns one of these...THANKS !!!!
Old 12-04-01, 05:34 AM
etp

Get the biggest HDTV ready digital big screen you can afford. Size does matter. I hate my 32 inch tvs after getting my 61". I want a 100" now!!!! Give it to me now!@!! Willie Wonka!!!
Old 12-04-01, 02:53 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Whichever one you choose make sure it's widescreen, the only way to go. I can't believe the USA is so far behind in having people buy widescreen tvs.

My dad in Ireland who is not a big Home Theatre guy has had his widescreen tv 2 years now.
Old 12-04-01, 03:44 PM

widescreen

I would like it to be widescreen, my fiancee is a little uneducated on its advantages and demands a reg screen. Can't interfere with her soap opera's.
Old 12-04-01, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: widescreen

Originally posted by rwolhar
I would like it to be widescreen, my fiancee is a little uneducated on its advantages and demands a reg screen. Can't interfere with her soap opera's.
Not a problem.. some/maybe all have different formats for watching TV. Basically the black bars will be on the side when watching regular TV. Therefore your widescreen TV would have an image like a regular TV. But I think a widescreen TV will cost you over $2000.00, so it might be out of your price range.

I personally do not like projection TV's. There are alot more things to consider when you get a projection TV.
I would get the new 40 inch tube from Sony.. If thats too expensive then get the 36 inch Sony VVega. Sweet TV. You can pick that up for about $1500.00
Old 12-04-01, 05:26 PM
etp

You get your choice of where you get black bars!!!! Top and bottom for a 3x4 or left and right for a widescreen. All quality units will give you a good display in all modes. My DVD does it all. I don't set a thing on my TV. Its all automatic. So I still say get the biggest tv you can find.
Old 12-04-01, 05:35 PM

Samsung 54"

I have basically decided on the samsung 54", If you have a samsung or know about them please give me some info on the quality and controls....thanks
Old 12-04-01, 08:58 PM

I have not seen the Samsun rear projection offerings... but their dynaflats suffer from a TERRIBLE built in line doubler... it exhibits heavy artifacting. Have you taken a look at the Panasonic 47" set? I have heard good word of mouth for this set.

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=24&scat=1470
Old 12-07-01, 03:12 PM

samsung

Yikes. you were right Jin E, poor quality on the samsung at best buy. I stared at different screens for about an hour and i guess i just has higher expectations for the projections. I was a wee bit dissapointed. I might go for a 32" or 34" now and then jam on the sound and some other components...