Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Prog Scan DVD Player Recommendations

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-01, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK. I am looking to purchase a new Progressive Scan DVD Player after the holidays. I want to be able to play all types of media (DVD, CD, CD-R, MP3) and a one disc player is perfectly fine, no need for a carousel.

The two models I am currently considering are:

JVC DVD Player, Model XVSA75GD

and

Toshiba Progressive Scan DVD Player - SD3750

anyone have these that can review them, or anyone have some other suggestions?
Old 12-05-01, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you might also want to look at the Panasonic RP-56. It's a nice little unit, and the price is pretty hard to beat.
Old 12-05-01, 02:45 PM

At this point I just want the best player under $300.
Old 12-05-01, 06:53 PM
Cool New Member

I tried the Toshiba SD-3750 and SD-4700. They both have a Chroma Bug. The Panasonic RP-56 has a flickering bug.

I finally chose the JVC VX-SA70BK the black colored version of the XV-SA75GD. It has no chroma bug or flickering bug.

Go to Home Theater Forum or Home Theater Spot and search for more information on the JVC dvd player.
Old 12-09-01, 09:15 AM

Consumer Reports top rates the Philips DVD953AT
I just bought one here for $198, shipping incluced

www.proactiveelectronics.com
Old 12-09-01, 04:45 PM

I tried the Toshiba SD-3750 and SD-4700. They both have a Chroma Bug.
Really? I was under the impression this player was CB free?? I was considering getting this unit just after Christmas...either this or the Panny RP56. (the Panny plays MP3 files - very well I hear, which the Tosh does not, but Tosh players' video output is hard to beat)
Old 12-09-01, 07:58 PM

what about the sound

I am going for a progressive after the holidays also but haven't been able to find one that is progressive and supports all of my audio needs...am I wrong? I am interested in the Sony Progressive-Scan DVD Player
Model: DVP-NS700P but I don't want to loose audio features
Old 12-09-01, 10:01 PM

It looks like the JVC has the most playable features (MP3, CDR, CDRW, etc...)

Anyone have any negatives about the JVC players?
Old 12-10-01, 12:39 PM
Banned

Well, my RP-56 died this week after just two months of use. The drive mech' just froze and wouldn't do anything anymore. Luckily Circuit City made an exception to their 30 day warranty and allowed me to exchange it for another player. I got the JVC XV-F85GD.

Now, I'm not saying that the Panasonic is unreliable and there are many things going for it. It has the Sage chip set, which makes for a great progressive picture, the controls are very intuitive and the player is simple to use. On the down side it doesn't handle non-anamorphic material very well (it has no function for auto sensing non-anamorphic wide screen and 4:3 material) and that means that you have to futz around with it a little when watching that kind of disc. Also, the Panasonic suffers from the chroma bug. The JVC doesn't.

The JVC is a 7 disc changer and it seems to product a much better progressive image (I've got a Tosh TW40X81). It works well with non-anamorphic material of all kinds and plays just about every format of disc you're likely to come across with the exception of DVD-A. You have to get the 90 or 95 series players for that.

On the down side, there are a number of strange quirks with this player. It plays MP3s but only though the analogue output so you'll have to hook up some RCA jacks in addition to the digital cable. Not a big deal really as the MP3 digital stream needs to be converted to analogue at some point anyway. Also, it only recognizes 100 songs per folder on a CD-R so you need to author MP3 discs with that in mind. Also not a big deal, just sort of weird.

The last thing that's a little strange about the JVC progressive machines is that they have 5 progressive modes. They are the only players on the market in the sub $300 range that take progressive signal directly from the disc and print it to screen (the others interlace the image and then deinterlace it when printing to screen). When it comes to interlaced material though they take the interlaced signal, deinterlace it and then reinterlace it. Basically the exact opposite of the other players. That means that you have to mess around with the settings to find the mode that produces the best picture. The settings are:

Auto - This mode takes the first signal the player encounters on a disc and uses it throughout. Not bad if everything on the disc is either progressive or interlaced.

Video 1 - This mode is for still images in interlaced encoding.

Video 2 - This is for moving video images (as I understand it there are issues with vertical filtering that arise due to the way the player handles interlaced material. This mode is supposed to address that but in general the interlaced images look a little soft in comparison to the other mid range players)

Film - This is standard progressive mode

Smart - This mode auto switches between modes on a disc that has both interlaced and progressive material (most discs) and is the setting you'll probably want to use.

So, in conclusion, the Panasonic is a good player for the money but has problems with nonanamorphic material. The JVC is superior in terms of handling anamorphic and nonanamorphic discs but is a little tricky to figure out when it comes to progressive vs interlaced.

I find the JVCs picture quality to be much better than the Panasonic and well worth the short learning curve required to figure out its quirks and tease out the best settings.

Last edited by Surf Monkey; 12-10-01 at 12:42 PM.