Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Any reasonably priced Progressive Scan Changers out there?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-01-01, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 386 Likes on 276 Posts

I just jumped into the HDTV fray and want to upgrade my DVD player to progressive scan, don't care too much about CD-R or mp3 stuff as I have equipment to do that already. Anything good out there for reasonable money (well under 1K I hope...)
Old 11-01-01, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The JVC XVFA95GD goes for less than $400 (actually, more like $350) most the time. It's a seven disk progressive machine and the JVC puts out a very good picture. Better on film source than video, but still very good.
Old 11-02-01, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Recently got the Pioneer Elite DV-C36 5 disc changer, region free and macrovision disabled for $500 shipped. I've been happy with it, although I'm not currently using the progressive scan capability.
Old 11-03-01, 10:13 AM

I second the JVC recommendation 2 posts up. I have the single disc model with identical circuitry, and it's the best progressive scan pictuire available for under $1000.
Old 11-03-01, 01:23 PM

Janitor,

Better on film source than video, but still very good.
Can you or anyone else expand on this? Film source vs. video source?

I have a 32 inch JVC D-series TV and am looking to upgrade my Toshiba 2108 DVD player. Looking for a new DVD changer that has a lot of features such as DVD-A, MP3, CDR/CDRW, etc. The progressive scan would be nice to have if I upgrade my 1 year old TV to a HD-ready TV.

Thanks.

Dave
Old 11-04-01, 01:46 AM

With a DVD made from film (a movie) source, the it's a bit hard to imagine a much better picture than the JVC (I've got the XVS60BK). It does a wonderfull job, and has some very nice to have features.

But with a DVD made from a video (TV) source, I like my old interlaced machine (Sony S7700) better. Even though the TV (A Mits 55809) doesn't have as good a line doubler as the JVC. And even though the Sony has it's own problems (like the Chroma bug). I just like the Sony better on video source. Not that the JVC is really bad, just not as good (imho) as my Sony. It's a little hard to get my arms around just what I don't like - maybe it's a bit soft?

All that said, with a non progressive TV, this wont be an issue for you. At least until you get a progressive display. I think the problem lays in the line doubler. Also - I may be convincing myself there's a video source problem to justify keeping the 7700.

The XVFA95GD does DVD Audio, MP3, CDR/W and has both DD5.1 and DTS.

A couple of other things you wont care about untill you get your 16:9 display

One great feature is it's scaling. This is almost a must to have if you've got a (16:9) TV that locks into a full 1:85:1 display whenever it detects a progressive input The JVC can scale it's output such that if you feed it a 4:3 program it will center that in a 1.85:1 "window" and give that to your TV so that it (the TV) doesn't have to stretch the picture to fit. While I don't use the scaling for that, I do use it to scale non anamorphic disks to fit the display as it does a much better job of this than my TV.

One problem it has is the automatic film detection mode for the 3:2 pulldown. On some disks (I've found two thus far, and they're both from Disney) it has a lot of problems recognizing that it's a film source. Keeps on slipping in and out of film/video, and I notice quite a bit of combing and stairstepping on diagonal edges. Easy enough to overcome by forcing it into film mode through the menus, so it's not a big problem.

Note : this is all based on a different JVC than the changer I mentioned above. But I believe the electronics related to the line doubler etc are the same in both of them.

Last edited by Janitor; 11-04-01 at 01:50 AM.
Old 11-04-01, 07:58 AM

Has anyone heard anything or used the Denon 4800 progressive changer?
Old 11-04-01, 09:55 AM

Janitor,

Thanks very much for the explanation. I have been looking at the JVC 90/95 changers....pretty sweet feature-wise, but kinda pricey (~CDN$550 or about US$350). At this time, I cannot afford it. But I will be keeping my eye on this one. Usually I cannot stand JVC DVD players...that 501 fiasco turned me off JVC until now.

Dave
Old 11-05-01, 06:34 AM

Originally posted by DavidY
Janitor,

Thanks very much for the explanation. I have been looking at the JVC 90/95 changers....pretty sweet feature-wise, but kinda pricey (~CDN$550 or about US$350). At this time, I cannot afford it. But I will be keeping my eye on this one. Usually I cannot stand JVC DVD players...that 501 fiasco turned me off JVC until now.

Dave
No problems Dave -

You know - while I was (blissfully?) unaware of the 501 fiasco, I did have a problem with JVC. But that was based on nothing real and I just kind of stuck my nose up at everything they made.

My own faullt. I've had my XVS60 for 2-3 weeks now, and love it. It's a great machine, imho.

And yea - US$350 is about as cheap as I usually see it. But - they carry it at Best Buy and other mainstream shops, so you get to see sales/coupons/etc now and again on them. Keep your eyes open.
Old 11-05-01, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

New Toshiba 3755 is around $250. 5 Disk Progressive.
Old 11-05-01, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 386 Likes on 276 Posts
Is the JVC model mentioned above available at Sears? They had a changer there that I think was progressive scan so it probably is. They still do the internet price match and I found the XVS60BK for 219.00 shipped (@ Abes of Maine) so that'd be a sweet deal to internet price match there...

Thanks for the response, any other recommendations?