Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

JVC Receiver Problem, Need Help!

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 10-07-01, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a JVC RX-778VBK, just the other day while I was watching a DVD, the receiver stopped producing sound through the speakers. I checked all off the wire connections and nothing was wrong. I then checked all of my monster cables and again nothing was wrong.

When I turned off the surround sound option on the receiver, sound would come out off the front left and right speakers. Whenever I turn on surround sound the receiver no speaker gets sound.

I've had the receiver for nearly two years and am wondering if anyone has ever seen something like this.

All help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil
Old 10-28-01, 07:49 PM

My brother bought a new DVD Player & Receiver today. I decided to try his Receiver on my Bose Acoustimass Speakers to see if my JVC Receiver was the problem. It turns out that his receiver produces the exact same output as my JVC Receiver, so I know that the JVC Receiver is working properly. I also tried his DVD Player to see if perhaps the decoding on my DVD Player was the problem. Again the decoding didn't work properly.

I constantly get the Front Left & Right Speakers to produce sound when I'm running the THX Tests on the Fight Club & Akira DVDs. When the center and rear speakers are being tested by the DVD no sound comes out of those speakers, instead it comes out of the left or right front channel. If you put your ear up to the center speaker you can hear a slight hiss noise.

I'm wondering if the Bose Acoustimass module is indeed the problem. The module still is able to produce bass during movies so it is working somewhat.

Anyone with any suggestions?
Old 10-28-01, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you might check to make sure that your DVD player is outputting the proper format signal (i.e. make sure it's not putting out a downmixed stereo signal)

beyond that, I'm not sure....
Old 10-31-01, 03:44 PM

If anyone's interested I finally solved this problem.

Both my DVD Player and Receiver no longer are able to decode and process 5.1 I am thinking this came from a power surge because I was watching a DVD Movie and both crashed together and now neither of them work properly. I'll end up keeping the DVD Player and hook it up to my bassment TV for TV sound.

Receiver wise I don't know what to do with it, anyone know of a place I can sell it to, maybe a refurbishment center??