Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

My speaker "pops" advice needed please!!

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

My speaker "pops" advice needed please!!

Old 04-17-01, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The left rear speaker pops once in a while when the dvd is in the menu. In Gladiator it popped three times out of 10 i think, after i chose the dts track. It popped once on Perfect Storm when it changed pages from the first special features to the next. Now it popped again when my brother went from one page to another. Any ideas and advice guys? Thanks.
Old 04-17-01, 06:52 AM

Make sure you check your connections. You may even want to try replacing the wire to that speaker.
Old 04-17-01, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This occurs for me on the menu to T2:UE. It is probably the digital decoder finding the audio stream and locking on -- causing a little 'pop' when it finds the audio. So when you change menu screens, the audio changes and when the stream is located... 'pop'! Might even happen at layer changes. (This used to happen a lot with a certain DVD player -- Panasonic 110 or Pioneer??? Can't remember, but it was a known problem back in the day...)

AFAIK, this is because of the DD and DTS tracks on the same disc (because it doesn't happen on any of my DD-only discs) and is completely unavoidable. You could try using a digital coaxial connection instead of a optical (toslink) connection, but I doubt if it would have any effect. My suggestion is to live with it. Your other option would be to replace the receiver/decoder (maybe even player) to get rid of this nuisance. As long as the volume is down and it only happens on a few discs, you shouldn't have any long-term problems. Keep it to a minimum. You might want to switch to analog audio when you're surfing the menu and looking at special features.
Old 04-17-01, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes i have a panasonic a 110 and what do you mean by analog audio??? As in pro logic? Thank you once again guys!
Old 04-19-01, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVD players have the digital output, like optical toslink or digital coaxial, and there are also the R/L audio outputs (analog). I have the digital connection running to the receiver and the R/L outputs connected directly to the TV. Whenever I start browsing the T2:UE disc, I get the popping, so I turn off the receiver and turn up the TV.

Maybe not the best compromise, but it's fine for me. You could also hook up the R/L outputs to the receiver using an unused input, like SAT or MD if they're available, and then just switch to that input whenever the digital input starts popping -- you can even have the receiver decode pro-logic from those inputs as well.
Old 09-13-01, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi everyone. I've got a little problem with popping. I replaced my old L/R satellites with Bose speakers. I set them to Large and played Jurassic Park DTS. When I get to the T-Rex scene, right after Jeff Goldblum says, "When you gotta go, you gotta go," there is a very loud POP that comes from the Front Right. If I lower the volume down a little bit, the popping noise does not occur -- it only happens when I raise it to my usual listening level. If I set the Bose speakers to Small, the popping noise doesn't occur, but of course I don't get the feeling of getting fully enveloped by the sound. Any idea what the problem could be?
Old 09-13-01, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by LethaL Nemesis
Hi everyone. I've got a little problem with popping. I replaced my old L/R satellites with Bose speakers. I set them to Large and played Jurassic Park DTS. When I get to the T-Rex scene, right after Jeff Goldblum says, "When you gotta go, you gotta go," there is a very loud POP that comes from the Front Right. If I lower the volume down a little bit, the popping noise does not occur -- it only happens when I raise it to my usual listening level. If I set the Bose speakers to Small, the popping noise doesn't occur, but of course I don't get the feeling of getting fully enveloped by the sound. Any idea what the problem could be?
Not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with setting the rears to "large"
Old 09-14-01, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Thunderball

Not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with setting the rears to "large"
I didn't set my rears to Large.. I set my Front left and Front Right to Large.
Old 09-14-01, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are you aware of the quality issues with the first pressing of Jurassic Park DTS? Might be that...
Old 09-14-01, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DigIt
Are you aware of the quality issues with the first pressing of Jurassic Park DTS? Might be that...
Yes, I am aware of it. I have the new pressing.
Old 09-15-01, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It has nothing to do with the track in question, it's the fact that your speakers are not large, and by sending a full-range signal to the speakers, your amp (receiver, I guess?) cannot handle the load it takes to push that full range signal at loud volumes. By selecting 'small' your receiver's bass-management capabilities are diverting the low frequency signals and uses your sub's amp to push those sounds, freeing the amp in your receiver to use it's power for the mids and highs.
Keep in mind that not knowing what your equipment is, I have no idea how your bass management is set-up (large, small, sub off, on..etc etc) but this info is still valid nevertheless.

The moral of the story: use the small setting

BTW, if your speakers can't handle a full-range signal, setting them to large will do you no good, as they simply cannot reproduce the bass intended for those channels.
Old 09-15-01, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks DVD_O_Rama. I used to use satellites, but I tried a little experimenting and replaced them with two old Bose 301 Series III speakers for the Front Left and Front Right and set them to Large -- that's when the popping in question occurs at some points in some movies. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to save up until I can afford to buy new, quality speakers.
Old 09-15-01, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by LethaL Nemesis
Thanks DVD_O_Rama. I used to use satellites, but I tried a little experimenting and replaced them with two old Bose 301 Series III speakers for the Front Left and Front Right and set them to Large -- that's when the popping in question occurs at some points in some movies. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to save up until I can afford to buy new, quality speakers.
I'm not familiar with those speakers, but I would guess that they still aren't capable of extended frequency response in the low end, and shouldn't be set as 'large' speakers. I would wager that 80% or more of the speakers in HT use today should be set to small, regardless of the size of the speakers inside (I've seen 12s that only went down to 35hz, and at very low volumes)
It also depends on the crossover setting on your receiver, as some have a very high setting (100, 150) that can't go lower, so by setting your speakers to large, you get response well beyond that x-over, and allow your mains to play more below that. Even though they can't play all the signal, they are getting more bass then before, therefore sounding better then the small setting.
Of course, whaever sounds good to you is the key, and it really doesn't matter what some person on an internet forum says if you think otherwise

Edited to add:
I re-read that last post again, and wanted to clarify something: that poping you hear might be your receiver's amp clipping when trying to play at loud volumes when your speakers are set to large. It really doesn't matter the size of the speakers you have, if your receiver is set to large, and is sending a full-range signal to the speakers, the low frequencies (which are the most taxing on an amp) are putting quite a load on your receiver's amp, which is why it's advised to set speakers to small and let your sub's amp handle those duties.

Last edited by DVD_O_Rama; 09-15-01 at 07:59 PM.