DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Having 4 subwoofers?

Old 07-03-01, 03:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there any benefit to having 4 subwoofers all in one room? Is it possible to connect them all together so they work together?

Would it sound better if you had a sub in front, one on each side, and one in the back? :-)

I have a friend who wants to get rid of some of his junk. I think he said they were about 120 watts each.

Thanks for answering this probably ridiculous question!
Old 07-03-01, 03:39 AM

Also, can PC speaker subwoofers work with normal home theatre equipment?
Old 07-03-01, 07:30 AM

Your going to have a problem with what I like to call overbass. It will be loud, but most likley the sound will be way off and sound like there is way too much bass. It's kinda like shooting a dead horse. If you all ready have a sub or 2, wait to just replace them because with subs I have found more is not better.
Old 07-03-01, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's not ridiculous, and it's not like shooting a dead horse. As a matter of fact, if you are trying to reach reference levels, extra subs may not only not be overkill, but may be necessary depending on room size, openings, etc.
As far as 'overbass' or having too much bass, that's what calibration is for
Old 07-03-01, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, I don't know. I have one sub, and it's plenty loud, I'd think you'd be risking hearing damage if you have 4!!!!

Anyway, with some calibration and proper placement, it might owrk for you.
Old 07-03-01, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think this is some major overkill. When I turn the bass up too much on my speakers, I feel like Im about to get knocked out from the sound waves.

I say take one home and hook it up and see how it sounds. Then try two if you want, but I would not have more than that.
Old 07-03-01, 12:39 PM

You can calibrate till the cows come home. If the sub are different bands/quallity they are all going to produce different levels of bass. Hence, yes it will sound loud but the sounds will conflict and sound like ****. The only way to use multi sub properly is to use all high quallity and the same. Same goes will speakers, if you got a couple crapper in a set with some high quallity stuff its going to **** the detail of the sound right up.
Old 07-03-01, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If one sub is loud enough in your room, then that's fine. I draw my experiences from what I have heard in my HT, and at over 3,000 cubic feet with vaulted ceilings and two large openings to other rooms, there isn't one single sub on the market which could fill the room with clean bass at reference levels (I've tried many, including an 18" Velodyne, and it wasn't enough)
As far as different subs being different 'bands' and different levels of bass...I think you misunderstand the definition of the word calibration in relation to the subject at hand. By calibrating all subs (speakers) to the same SPL, I don't care if you have 4 different brands, the volume will be the same. Brand of sub is inconsequential.
Different brands and quality of each will determine exactly what each sub can do, and if you have two or more subs with widly varying qualities (let's say a Sony sub paired with an SVS CS 1646)you are going to have one crapping out long before the other, and therfore negating any benefit of a multiple powered sub set-up.
For more insight on the topic, I suggest reading some of Richard Hardesty's articles in Widescreen Review (or in his newsletter) or check out Tom Vodhanel or Ron Stimpsons' thoughts on the subject (www.svsubwoofers.com).
But of course, YMMV.
Old 07-03-01, 05:54 PM

I agree with DVD_O_Rama.There is a person at the Hometheater Forum who has (8) SVS 16-46CS Subs and he said they sound great.I have a pair of SVS 20-39CS subs and the ButtKicker & Carvin amp and it works fantastic.The ButtKicker takes bass to a whole new level when properly set up.If you dial in the ButtKicker with your sub or subs,you will be amazed.