Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Good price on 32" Sony Wega?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Good price on 32" Sony Wega?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-01, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am looking to upgrade from my 27 inch Panasonic. I only have enought room in my entertainment center for 34x34. I went into Sears today and they would sell me the older 32 floor model for $675 but I really think if I am going to spend this money I want a brand new one. I believe not sure that I will be able to use the component of my DVD player and S-video on one of these won't I? ANy help on what to look for and or a good price to try and get my Sears to price match would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Chris
Old 06-14-01, 10:53 PM

What's the model # ?

I am almost certain all the Wega's 27" and up have the component hookup for your DVD player.

In my opinion find yourself a new Wega, maybe even a 2000 model. I've got the KV-32FV16 and am well pleased.

Saintsfan
Old 06-14-01, 10:57 PM

The Sears Model number is the same as the one you have. KV-32FV16. I was going to get it new for $800 but they don't have any in stock. I am going to check around some Sears in Indianapolis. I really could use a website to pricematch though. I checked pricescan but there doesn't seem to be that great of deals.
Old 06-15-01, 09:30 PM

MY local HH Gregg offerred me a KV32FS12 for $860. Is this a good deal or should I just wait it out and hopefully find a better deal?
Old 06-16-01, 01:23 AM

Don't buy a floor model

Whatever you do buy a new Wega. And that's not a bad price. It really depends on what you need. My KV-32FV16 has the upgraded speakers, which aren't that great and don't use at all for DVD's. Also has a 3D digital comb filter which has a slight better picture, in my opinion. I paid $1100 for mine from a local shop that offers excellent service. They will swap out any equipment I'm not satsifed with.

Saintsfan
Old 06-16-01, 01:25 AM

I was at the "Video Only" and they had very good prices on ALL the Wegas... (couple hundred off I think) and even better deals on the floor models. The sales guy says I could probably get the price down even more since they're clearing out all the WEGAs... he says there's a new color for all the new models (less of the gaudy silver I guess) and they're moving the old ones out on clearance. He was selling the 32" WEGA with the Infrared headphones & auto 16x9 for $999 and said he could lower the price even more if I didn't want the no interest financing and wanted to just buy it outright.
Old 06-16-01, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm gonna chime in here, do you guys see what is happening? As soon as I buy something for full price, the price drops dramatically.

Your welcome.

Old 06-16-01, 03:17 PM

I bought the most basic 32" Wega about a week or so ago, the KV-32FS12.

It has component input plus S-Video input and enhanced mode for anamorphic DVDs, as do all Wegas.

The only difference between this model and the "higher" models are the following on some models:

* PIP
* better comb filter
* better built-in speaker system

Of course, none of these are used for DVDs, and the first two are not used on DBS satellite, and the speaker system is not used any time you use your A/V receiver instead.

The comb filter does not operate when you use either the component input (DVD) or the S-Video input (DVD or DBS).

Since I only watch either DVDs or DBS satellite, I opted for the least expensive model. I ordered from One Call, and their nominal price at the time was $865, but you can get them to go lower. The lowest price offered by anyone is $797. But, of course, individual stores looking to clear out the silver-colored models may give you a yet better price.

NOTE: Not only are the new models a different color, but there is also a new Sony stand in the new color, so if you buy a Sony stand, be sure you are getting the matching one (as long as you paying over $100 for a stand, it should look right!).

BTW, the picture looks absolutely great on anamorphic DVDs.

Old 06-16-01, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by Thunderball
I'm gonna chime in here, do you guys see what is happening? As soon as I buy something for full price, the price drops dramatically.

Your welcome.

I'm with ya bro', my store is having a BIG Sony sale today. Just my luck. However they did pre date a receipt for a $50 rebate offer.

Saintsfan
Old 06-16-01, 07:57 PM

I would like to give a shout out to my dogg Wade at the Columbus, IN Sears. He gave me some of the best customer Service I have ever had and I ended up taking the 32 in Wega Model home for $800 and the best thing is I don't have to pay for it until January 2002. I am now a huge fan of Sears and the people that work there. I have picked up a new receiver and now the Wega by pricematching and they always come through for me. Also, thanks to the forum for all the info. Greatly appreciated. I am going to go bring my baby to life and enjoy the rest of the night.
Old 06-16-01, 09:48 PM

jhiter24,
Enjoy. The Wega's are fine TV's.

Saintsfan
Old 06-17-01, 12:40 AM

In my experience any time I try and save money and by something old, or a floor model, or refurbished something always goes wrong. I think you should save for another week or 2 and get what you really want.

P.S. Sears Sucks
Old 06-17-01, 01:17 AM

I don't want to start any wars on Sears but they made me a believer today. The model I got was a new one, not floor model. I decided after reading the comments that if spending that much money, go NEW. I was giving my man, Wade, props because he got me a new model for $800.99. That is $200 off the original and even another $100 off their asking price. On