Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help a DVD Virgin Please!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help a DVD Virgin Please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-01, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess you could term me a virgin in the whole "DVD" era so I was hoping you guys could help me. I'm pretty basic when it comes to A/V stuff. Anyway I have a basic TV that only has a cable hookup (no A/V hookup). I have my cable hooked to my VCR and in turn my VCR hooked to the TV. Is there any type of connection available that would allow me to hook my vcr and A/V from my DVD to my current TV.

I'm planning on getting a better TV in the future that will enhance my "DVD Experience" but right now I'd rather postpone the purchase.

This is the player I have -- I purchased back in November.

Philips DVD711AT DVD-Video Player

From Ammzon http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...272274-5229756

Thanks in advance!!
Old 06-13-01, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, you can buy an RF Adapter at your local electronics store, including your Radio Shack. This turns the A/V connections into an RF connection for your TV. However, you will need one with a built in switch or you will need to add a switch for your VCR.

You don't want to run the DVD thru the VCR and then into the TV and the copy-protection normally messes up the picture from the DVD.

I can't recommend enough that you upgrade your set as soon as it makes sense to. A newer value priced set with A/V inputs will look a lot better to show off the ability of the DVD system.
Old 06-13-01, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks!

Thank you so much!

Yes, I will update soon hopefully! Is there any TV recs you can make for me -- I'm not looking for anything fancy, just good quality.