DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Is Bose overrated?

Old 05-21-01, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking to buy a home theater package and Sam's Club has the Bose Acoustimass 600 speaker system with a JVC receiver for 699.99. From reading some of the opinions at Home Theater Forum it seems like most people are not impressed with Bose. Is this a good deal or one to avoid? Sam's Club also has a Kenwood HBT-354 for 299.99 but I can't find any reviews for it online.
Old 05-21-01, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone who is considering buying Bose is over-rating them, in my opinion.
Old 05-21-01, 02:07 PM
X
Administrator

Received 153 Likes on 123 Posts
IBBP
Old 05-21-01, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought a Bose Acoustimass 10 system a few years ago and I've been relatively happy.

Overall, I'd say they are a bit overrated, but they are not as awful as some on this forum would have you believe. If they were about 1/3 the price, they would be a pretty good buy. They are definitely overpriced.

I'm slowly replacing my Bose system with Definitive Technology. The DefTech center channel is awesome.
Old 05-21-01, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think Bose is overrated...just overpriced.
Old 05-21-01, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Not another Bose thread?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!

No highs no lows just Bose!

Overpriced is the best answer I have heard so far!!! For the money you spend on Bose you can get a much better system in terms of sound and versatility! In fact you can get a better system if you spend alot less!
Old 05-21-01, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by X
IBBP
Old 05-21-01, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Puddy
Originally posted by X
IBBP
I only figured this one out after reading it a second time. Nice one.
Old 05-21-01, 02:55 PM

Put in a search for Bose and see how many replies you get. I got 0.

I'm sure I don't want to know in case it's at my expense...but what does IBBP mean?

So what's a good system in the $500-700 range. Kenwood HBT-503 seems to be popular.

[Edited by Paveguy on 05-21-01 at 12:59 PM]
Old 05-21-01, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Paveguy
Put in a search for Bose and see how many replies you get. I got 0.
147 threads.

I'm glad to hear you did try to do a search. Next time, select "Entire Message" rather than "Subject Only." Also, selecting "Any Date" will help.

Originally posted by Paveguy

I'm sure I don't want to know in case it's at my expense...but what does IBBP mean?
"In Before Bose Pro"

Bose Pro is a forum member who works for Bose, and posts pro-Bose sentiments here.
Old 05-21-01, 03:16 PM

I'm glad to hear you did try to do a search. Next time, select "Entire Message" rather than "Subject Only." Also, selecting "Any Date" will help.
D'oh.....I've been posting long enough I should have known that . Thanks for the info stevevt.

Old 05-21-01, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

sorry, my last thread was made in a rush, I'll elaborate a little now.

Bose are NOT bad speakers. In fact if they were priced as entry level system, I know I'd have one, but they are priced as mid range audio systems, which is why I don't have one.

For the same price of the Bose system, I have a Sony 555ES receiver and a nice Polk Audio speaker set up.

Bose is overpriced for what you actually get..if you have a very small room however..
Old 05-21-01, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ah, the Bose can of worms. For your edification:

The Bose FAQ

Bose Acoustimess

Are Bose overrated?

Bose at Audioreview.com

Let your ears be the judge

and cue Bose Pro

[Edited by Dr. Dank on 05-21-01 at 03:20 PM]
Old 05-21-01, 05:33 PM

the kenwood htb-503 has just been upgraded this month with a new reciever (507. was a 407) it now includes pro-logic 2 along with dts and dd 5.1.. and its the same price. I saw the complete setup for $499.00 at circuit city last week. Oh and the new remote is awesome! a 100x better then the old one with the tiny buttons.
Old 05-21-01, 06:03 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I didn't know if 699 was a good deal for a Bose system, but after reading up on them I will make sure to stay far away. I'll probably end up getting the HTB-503. Looks like it has a decent receiver and I can always upgrade the speakers down the road. Thanks again
Old 05-21-01, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Paveguy: you should be able to pick up the 503 for around $400. i've had it since Feb and am very satisfied with it. a year from now i'll upgrade the speakers, but for the money this system is a great value.
i don't think you'd regret getting it.
Old 05-22-01, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've said it before, but I'll say it again..

I've got a Bose Acoustimas setup and have been relatively happy with it. The only part I am disappointed with is the bass module. Almost no bass whatsoever, even though I have the Denon receiver maxed out. I expect the floor and windows to shake. I would agree with the above. If it was priced in the mid-range, then it might be a good buy. But they are totally overpriced for what you get.
Old 05-22-01, 04:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Movie_Man
I've said it before, but I'll say it again..

I've got a Bose Acoustimas setup and have been relatively happy with it. The only part I am disappointed with is the bass module. Almost no bass whatsoever, even though I have the Denon receiver maxed out. I expect the floor and windows to shake. I would agree with the above. If it was priced in the mid-range, then it might be a good buy. But they are totally overpriced for what you get.

Place the Acoustimass module approx. 16" from the wall in the corner, firing towards the corner. You'll notice an increase in the bass.
Old 05-22-01, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well the "Bass Module" only has 2 6.5 woofers I believe.

A mid price 8" sub from Polk, Paradigm or Velodyne will kick it's ass!

That is why it is called a "Bass Module" and not a sub, because it can't perform as well as a sub the same size so they need to cover there ass and change the name!

Just when you think you have completely posted all shortcomings Bose is known for there always seems to be something else to compain about in these Bose threads

Long Live Bose and there crappy cube systems!
Old 05-22-01, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jumbojp
Well the "Bass Module" only has 2 6.5 woofers I believe.

A mid price 8" sub from Polk, Paradigm or Velodyne will kick it's ass!

That is why it is called a "Bass Module" and not a sub, because it can't perform as well as a sub the same size so they need to cover there ass and change the name!

Just when you think you have completely posted all shortcomings Bose is known for there always seems to be something else to compain about in these Bose threads

Long Live Bose and there crappy cube systems!
Hah! Speaking as a bass player, I can assure you that whatever comes out of that "bass module" certainly could never be mistaken for bass
Old 05-23-01, 01:07 AM

Wow, where to begin. I like to see how popular my opinions are becoming here...IBBP...LOL. First off:

The bass module on the Acoustimass systems is no way, no how a sub or even close to producing the lows a sub can hit. People never realize that no matter how many times it's said. Think of it this way, imagine a bookshelf speaker that has a woofer in it and maybe two tweeters. Is that woofer inside that speaker a sub? Does that speaker produce the bass a sub produces? No. When Bose designed their Acoustimass speaker systems, they broke a bookshelf speaker into a component speaker. They simply placed the "woofers" from both speakers into a seperate chamber.

Next...For jumbojp...the bass modules have 2 5 1/4" woofers, not 2 6 1/2" woofers.

Next...
It isn't a sub. You should be smart enough to know that, jumbojp. If not, don't act like it.

sfunk...that is perfect advice about placing the sub in a corner, facing a wall...8 to 16 inches.

Finally, would I recommend the Acoustimass 600 from Sam's? No. Would I recommend any Acoustimass system? Only two. The Acoustimass 6 for a small room (like a bedroom) or the Acoustimass 15 which has a powered bass and performs great. It goes for $1299 while the 6 sells for $599. Is there better out there for less? Yes. I've never denyed that. Heck, the new Energy system is great and I think Good Guys has it for $849.

Is Bose over-rated? The only true answer to that (no matter what this MB of mostly Bose bashers say about Bose) is to go and listen to Bose speakers yourself. Bring your own demos of movies and music. Please do, and I bet that you won't think they are over-rated. Over-priced...maybe.

-Jeff

Old 05-23-01, 01:32 AM
X
Administrator

Received 153 Likes on 123 Posts
IABP
Old 05-23-01, 10:09 AM

IAX

That actually looks pretty cool...
Old 05-23-01, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Regarding my "bass module"... Is it possible to replace this with something else? Since all the speakers plug into this unit, is it propietary? Or can I replace it with something better?
Old 05-23-01, 11:34 AM

Easily put, no, you cannot replace it because the cross overs for the cubes are in the module. However, there are many receivers out that will allow you to set the frequencies of each speaker. If you have one like this, it can be achieved, although not recommended.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.