Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Wealthy to purchase widescreen tv?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Wealthy to purchase widescreen tv?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-01, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks to everyone for your comments on this thread.

For those of you who thought I was serious, it's good to see that you recognize what's really important.

For those who understood that I was using sarcasm, good for you too, especially ckolchak.

For those of you selling your relatives to the sex trade, shame on you.

I tried to drop a few hints ("Seeing her CROOKED smile makes it all worthwhile"; Lolita as a child's film; breast implants as an anniversary gift!) but I wanted to see if anyone actually believed that such a person exists.

That person probably does exist, but we can hope not.

I do have a widescreen, but my daughter doesn't need braces (yet)and we had our tenth anniversary last year. No implant gift though-but the liposuction was worth every penny!

Old 04-16-01, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by filmguy
I would like to get a widescreen tv (and soon will) just as any other dvd owner/fan. But c'mon, if your duaghter has crooked teeth or your son needs to go to collage you have to put most important priority first.
You can go to a collage at any local museum.

I mean, hell, widescreen tv is something to drull over, but then again, you must drop the materialistic things for more important things in life.

But I suppose that's alot from me considering I sold both of my children to some drug dealers in Cambodia for Keenwood home-theater system and a dvd player.
Wow! You sold two kids and only got enough to get a knock off "Keenwood" HT system? I'll buy your next kid and give you enough to at least get a top of the line SONNY home theater setup!
Old 04-16-01, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Sonny stereo huh?

About 25 years ago York stereos were thought to be decent quality. I remember going to a K-Mart and seeing a Yorx brand. They made the X look as much like a K as possible.

So maybe he has found a Keenwood stereo. :wink:

Couldn't you come up with a joke for his spelling daughter as duaghter? Now that I'd like to see.

That's my (lame?) challenge to all of you.

Old 04-16-01, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
My daughter needed braces, but we also wanted a widescreen TV. So I took the family to the stereo showroom and we viewed Bug's Life on a Mitsubishi HD rear projection bundle of joy. When my daughter saw how great it looked compared to our old Toshiba 27" TV, she agreed that we needed it more than she needed braces.
That's a no brainer. How many kids want braces?
Old 04-16-01, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
The prices should start becoming much more reasonable in the very near future. Panasonic has a 16x9 HD-ready 47" that does 480p (does everything but 720p, which is a drag), toting a list price of $1999. It hits stores in June. I'm assuming once this new generation rolls around, the current sets will drop in price.
Old 04-17-01, 07:34 AM

Just how much does a reasonably sized WS TV cost in the U.S.?

"Everyman and his dog" is buying a WS TV in the UK as they are very affordable. You can one pick a new 32" model for about £600-700. Some shops don't even bother stocking 4:3 models and I have recently heard that JVC will no longer produce 4:3 models and other maunfacturers are likely to follow suit. Although I don't know if this applys to the North American market.

And I always thought that everything was cheaper in the U.S.
Old 04-18-01, 04:28 PM

Everything else may be less expensive, but widescreen tvs, which are sold to what is considered a "niche market" aren't.
Old 04-19-01, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Moving...

Moving to Hardware forum.

--Heather
DVD Talk moderator
Old 04-20-01, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many of you that can't afford a widescreen waste money smoking $3 packs of cigerettes? That can waste thousands a year alone not to mention alcohal.
Old 04-20-01, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I by no means consider myself wealthy, but when I saw how awesome these digital widescreen TVs were, I knew I had to have one. I bought one under the "no payments for one year" plan, and in the meantime have been putting away a few $$ each month into a money market account. So when the bill comes due later this year, I will have the funds to pay for it.
The prices are getting reasonable. A traditional big screen would still cost a bit over $1000. At slightly less than 3x the amount of a traditional, soon to be obsolete TV, you can get the latest & greatest with exceptional picture quality.
Now if we can just get the networks to start broadcasting in high-def, I would really be happy.