Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Exchange
Reload this Page >

WTB: extended version Dawn Of The Dead (1978)

Community
Search
DVD Exchange Swap DVDs with your fellow DVD Talkers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-11, 10:01 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I'm looking for the extended version (137 min.) of Dawn Of The Dead (1978) to buy and I'm having trouble finding which versions of this (on DVD) have the extended version of the movie. I know that The Ultimate Edition has it but I'm having a hard time locating that for under $20 and there's no way I'd pay that much anyway (even though that's the version I'd really like to have).

I was looking at the Collector's Edition / Original Director's Cut (which is apparently OOP), but every source I see this at says it's 126 min., not 137 min. And yet, the image of the back of this DVD (from Amazon) clearly shows 137 min., so there's apparently some misinformation going on regarding this DVD:

It's also my understanding that the Collector's Edition is a flipper. I'm not sure I want this on a flipper, but if it's the only way to get the extended version of this movie for well under $20, I may settle.

Video quality is another consideration. If the only 2 extended versions are both of decent video quality then I suppose it's a tossup between them.

Ideally, I'd like to find a Like New copy of the extended version of Dawn Of The Dead (1978) for $13 or less (preferably less). Anyone?

Thanks, -kd5-
Old 05-26-11, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: WTB: extended version Dawn Of The Dead (1978)

Three different cuts, including the "extended" one, in this set:
http://www.amazon.com/Dawn-Dead-Ulti...6425576&sr=1-3

Old 05-26-11, 01:47 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, I knew The Ultimate Edition had the different versions on it including extended cuts, I've been trying to do as much research on this as I can. This is the version I'd most like to have, but I'm not keen on paying what most people on Ebay or Amazon Marketplace want for it. I can buy it new for $24.99 at Amazon but I'm not paying that much for that DVD. I'd like to buy a Like New copy of it for half as much.

Thanks again, -kd5-
Old 05-26-11, 01:55 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone know anything about that Collector's Edition / Original Director's Cut from the OP? Is it even worth considering? -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 05-26-11 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-26-11, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks like the back of that AB disc may be a misprint.
The Director's Cut and the Extended Cut are two different things.
Taken from the "most helpful" review at Amazon:

DISC 1: The origian unrated director's cut. NOT THE EXTENDED EDITION, which is not truly Romero's director's cut. This disc includes commentary with George Romero, Tom Savini, and Chris Romero along with Theatrical trailers and radio spots.

DISC 2: The extended edition, often mistaken for a 'director's cut.' This disc includes an additional 12 minutes of glorious footage. Also includes commentary by producer Richard Rubinstein, who also helmed the recent Dawn of the Dead remake. The disc has a commercial for the Monroville Mall and a memorabilia gallery.

DISC 3: The Dario Argento cut. This version of the film has less humor and more drama, released in Europe with additional music from Goblin. This version includes commentary by all four stars of the film.

BTW, there's currently a "like-new" copy available at Amazon for $16.45shipped. That's probably about as goog a deal ad you're going to get.
Old 05-27-11, 04:02 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

It's a damned shame the only way to get the extended version of this movie is to shell out WAY more $$$ than I intended to for it. I may have to just settle for the Divimax at 127 min. for $4 or $5 on Ebay because I really can't afford to pay out a bunch of money for the extended version.

-kd5-
Old 05-27-11, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
It's a damned shame the only way to get the extended version of this movie is to shell out WAY more $$$ than I intended to for it. I may have to just settle for the Divimax at 127 min. for $4 or $5 on Ebay because I really can't afford to pay out a bunch of money for the extended version.

-kd5-
$16.40 is not a bunch of money, especially for this set.
Old 05-27-11, 06:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kd5
Thanks, I knew The Ultimate Edition had the different versions on it including extended cuts, I've been trying to do as much research on this as I can. This is the version I'd most like to have, but I'm not keen on paying what most people on Ebay or Amazon Marketplace want for it. I can buy it new for $24.99 at Amazon but I'm not paying that much for that DVD. I'd like to buy a Like New copy of it for half as much.

Thanks again, -kd5-
No offense but that price for that great set is definately worth it IMO ,But to each his own-
Old 05-28-11, 09:15 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dlinke01
$16.40 is not a bunch of money, especially for this set.
It is for me, I'm used to getting DVDs for CHEAP, I don't like paying out a bunch of money for any DVD, I never buy new releases until they've made it through the markdowns, and especially now since my computer repair business is going through one of its lulls. I hate lulls, it means I have to be extra careful about how I spend my money. I probably shouldn't even be looking at buying this but what can I say? I'm a collector...

Originally Posted by smurr05
No offense but that price for that great set is definately worth it IMO ,But to each his own-
No offense taken, and that probably is a good price, and I agree that it's probably worth every penny, but it's not a good enough price for me (see above).

At any rate, I finally broke down and bought a Like New copy of the Ultimate Edition for $15.78. I imagine I'm going to be kicking myself for awhile for doing it, but I wanted the extended version of this movie and it appears this was the only way I was going to get it. It has all the inserts, discs are supposed to be blemish-free, the only thing missing was the info sheet that was glued to the back of the case. I downloaded an image of it from Amazon, used Irfanview to resize it/sharpen it a little, and I'll print it so I have everything that originally came with the set. I really didn't want to spend this much but.....oh well...

Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate it! -kd5-