Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Exchange
Reload this Page >

Traders Dialogue Thread.

Community
Search
DVD Exchange Swap DVDs with your fellow DVD Talkers.

Traders Dialogue Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-02, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the media mail vs first class issue. I used to send first class but due to a long drawn out deal (around last christmastime ie the postal rush after sep 11th) I switched to media mail because the first thing that was mentioned when I went to go and fill out athat "tracking" form was that without a delivery confirmation there was a very small chance I'd get any results. Thus I switched to media mail. Not for price, but for the tracking feature. From the recieving trader end, they can also see where it is since I give the numbers to them after it is shipped. Works(ed) for me. During this time, I really haven't had any problems with media mail. However when i went today to send a few packages i found out that the post office has now changed their policy on not allowing a delivery confirmation on first class. They now do delivery confirmation on first class packages over 3/4" thick (who says size doesn't matter ). It was an extra $0.30 over media mail in this case, but well worth it to be back in the priority timeframe again (the delivery times between these two types of mailings are the same). I was very happy about that change even though waiting a few more days really isn't the end of the world since I have so many disk stacked up that I haven't been able to watch yet. Don't even get me started on the flimsy bubble envelope around the disk instead of a solid box......

The waisting comment is a classic case of illiteracy on motion on this forum. BTW, who here misses the crazy rantings of anime_guy? and this

Perhaps he thinks you are negatively affecting his diet.
...classic

On this topic though, sometimes i do find time to secure a trade (during work breaks of course ), but find it hard to get to a post office the next day or such due to actually not being able to physically leave work during the postal hours. Why I can't get my schedule to match these hours or bankers hours still baffles me. So, while I sympathize with the other trader, still its no excuse for the rudeness. The prick

So far, I've had no problems trading across the border. I used to not trade across the border until about a year ago. Now, I've had good luck doing it, although even without confirmation, the shipping is prohibitive in some cases and i just have to pass.

As far as criterions, I just go after the ones that look interesting. On a similar norte though, I remember one time I traded Rushmore: CC to a guy for Lawrence of Arabia (when it first came out). I had no problem with the trade, the MSRPs matched and both were "hot" titles. However, fast forward to a month or two later and the guy had a criterion that I wanted. I offer a similar MSRP disk (late model title too) and he turns it down saying that the title wasn't enough for a criterion and he wanted another one or something along those lines...wtf. I pointed out that I had recently traded with him where he had recieved a criterion for a "normal" high priced title, so wat was up with that? I guess by his silence he called me a sucker...lol. Works only one way for him i guess. The guy has good titles usually, but I won't even bother to offer a trde with him anymore for that reason. You see that alot on here though, one way traders I guess. Hard to get a good title net worth benchmark these days. I used to exclusively use MSRP, but a combination of methods backing that up is now necessary. My "want" list was so small that trading was very hard for me, but by the end of the year, I'll be needed more trade titles. That is if people don't want 2 good titles for their "latest" release .
Old 08-21-02, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ever encounter a one of those who moan over a trade that almost happened but didnt because each corresponding party couldnt agree on the final trade?

He keeps whining and whining. I'm like, dude, not interested, comprende?

Some people just don't get it. Not all trades are going to happen. It's not like poof, once an initial offer is made the other party is going to agree and the deal is done. That does happen of course, but not as much as you'd think. Especially when that person keeps questioning the kind of dvd you are trading. You lay out all the facts, and then they decide it's not enough and
want something else of yours. You find that there's nothing else
on your list you'd want for that particular title and so you pretty
much pass on the offer.
It's kinda silly how some can't let go of that notion.
You pass on an offer, move on buddy.

I had to tell someone to leave me alone and stop e-mailing me.
Sad.

"Are you mental?" "Get the net!"
Old 08-21-02, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but I laugh my a** off when I see some one who posts:

For trade:

As Good as it Gets
From Dusk Till Dawn (Non CE)
Titan AE

Wanted:

Salo CC***
World at War Boxed Set
Brazil CC
Any other OOP Criterions
Old 08-22-02, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts
Or this one might top it-

For Trade-

Memento (1 Disc NON-LE)
Rushmore
Evil Dead Elite Full-Frame
Fifth Element
Almost Famous

Wants-

Memento LE
Rushmore CC
Evil Dead LE:Book of the Dead
Fifth Element Superbit
Almost Famous Director's Cut Bootleg 3 Discs
Old 08-22-02, 09:27 AM

these posts are hilarious, aren't they? They allow us to see that there are many other traders out there who realize that we share similar experiences in this trading wasteland.
My favourite is when I try to do a trade with someone and it doesn't work out and I purposely keep posting on his site with the lamest of titles such as Smokey and The Bandit Fullframe super mono PPV for your Chaplin boxset? I do this tongue in cheek and let them know that - I hope? - just to ease the monotony. I did this to Bardevious recently and I'm not too sure if he's still pissed at me! lol, are u listening Bardevious? Everything is forgiven, come home.
There was one time a couple of weeks ago where there was this one trader that I've never heard of or ever heard from since, that posted the same horrible list on EVERY thread that was on the site, it was surreal! There was a posting re: a trader that wanted advice about a bad trade and my boy posted this on the thread: "interested in a few of your titles. I have Stop The Train w/ Barbara Eden, and Genghis Khan's Son starring Bill Bixby. LMK at this email."
duh.
Old 08-22-02, 10:25 AM

along those lines I remember a guy who only had one title to trade and he went in almost everyone's thread for like a month offering it. It was something that was maybe a few months old and lukewarm at best. I remember someone following him around saying "He offers that EVERWHERE...lol.
I thought poor old logic7 was the same way for awhile...he had the same old lukewarm titles for what seems like (and may actually have been) a whole year not only on this forum, but HTF as well. It wasn't unitl his latest thread when he asked if he had been blacklisted that he got more trade offers than I had EVER seen him get.
I like the idea of offering promos for people's criterions though, I think I'll start doing that I used to enjoy messing with Anime_Guy. He got so irrate and bent out of shape. I remember one time he had an offer that was a fair one and he turned it down cause it didn't lean enough his way, so i started offering stuff I had to him inside Anime_Guy's thread. That kinda messed with him a little. He was notorious for just deleting his threads to erase his rude dialog so he made some comment that Capt_Dallas told me about later. Something to the effect of "i wish people would stop making offer to OTHER people in MY thread..."...

Last edited by DVDave; 08-22-02 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-22-02, 10:37 AM

funny
Old 08-22-02, 11:31 AM

Okay, so what's with all of the "attitude" in the forum all of a sudden? It's like we have this group of the "professional" traders that feel like they can treat anyone with a smaller trade list or less experience like dogs? I agree with some of the above posts about people that have these huge trade lists that never make a trade. That really sucks! The other side of it is when you try to make a trade and you get the response, "That disc sells at Deep Discount for $12.99, the one you want cost $14.99, that's not an even trade." I absolutely hate that! I understand that no one is going to trade a Criterion Colletion disc for a regular copy of a Snoopy video! This forum is supposed to be for trading of titles, not running your own on-line video store!
Ok, I feel better, anyone else have problems with these things?
Old 08-22-02, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Random Thoughts:

The Canada Trading Thing: I am in Newfoundland, Canada, which is as east as east can be. If I send regular mail, it can take 3 to 8 days just to get to Ontario, then up to two weeks more to get to the destination in the US, depending on where it might be. Anytime I send a package and it is taking a while to get to the other trade, I always tell them to look at the postmark to see that I actually did mail it when I said I did. Delivery confirmation and insurance for 1 DVD to the US for me to send is about $15. It has to be sent registered mail ($9), plus regular postage ($3 - $6 for one DVD, depending on ground or air), plus tax. It is just too expensive to do with small trades.

Lying: It is not only Canadians that lie about when things are sent out. A couple of times I was told that a trader had sent a package, only to get an email a week later saying that they had forgotten to send it, but were sending it right away (suspiciously, right after they received my DVD). So they deliberately lied to me by saying that they sent it, when they did not. A common occurence is that someone says "I'll get it out over the weekend", but do not send it out until mine is received. When I say I will send it out, I try my darnest to do it. If I get delayed, I always email the other trader saying that I was delayed. I always email when I drop off the DVDs in the mail (unless something comes up to prevent me from doing so - like computer trouble).

BillGeiger/bigskillet: I am curious to find out to which four Canadian traders you are referring to? It seems like there is not many of us Canucks around, so four seems to be a lot to be doing this. I think that I have done trades with both of you, but as far as I can remember, I sent mine out when I said I would, and they were received in decent time. If not, I would want to know about it (i.e. am I one of those four traders?) Keep in mind that there are many US people doing this as well...

Envelopes: I generally buy a number of the bubblewrap envelopes at Walmart for trading purposes. For multiple DVD trades, I may upgrade to a box. Boxes are more likely to get opened at customs, however, and can add more than a month onto the trade time, so I prefer to avoid that if I can.

Cell Phones and Driving: There is a proposal that the government here is considering that will ban cellphones while driving. It is supposed to be one of the first cellphone ban laws in North America.

Greed: There are a couple of people in this forum that I refuse to deal with, because they will only do it if the trade is grossly in their favor. "My DVD is still sealed, so I will need three of your open ones". "My DVD has a MSRP of $29.95, so I would need a couple of yours for it". It might retail for $30, but you can get it anywhere for $15! Stop trying to rip me off!

Greed Part Two: In the last week, I have had a number of offers for a couple of my OOP CCs. They generally consist of one regular DVD for one of my CCs. I don't know if they are hoping that I don't know what the value of the DVDs that I have are (I should know, since I had to give up a lot to get them), or if they themselves do not know that the offer that they are making is totally unreasonable. After I get a couple of unreasonable offers, I don't even respond anymore.

Hard To Move DVDs: After I can't trade a particular DVD for a while, I generally ebay it. However, what happens in most cases is as soon as I ebay it, I get an offer for it that I would have gladly accepted before. Damn you, DVD Gods!

Random Thoughts Out.
Old 08-22-02, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by movieking
Greed Part Two: In the last week, I have had a number of offers for a couple of my OOP CCs. They generally consist of one regular DVD for one of my CCs. I don't know if they are hoping that I don't know what the value of the DVDs that I have are (I should know, since I had to give up a lot to get them), or if they themselves do not know that the offer that they are making is totally unreasonable. After I get a couple of unreasonable offers, I don't even respond anymore.
I have to agree here, I have a sealed 2 disc criterion that I've received 3 offers for(all from 'gold' traders). Yes, Amelie is on my want list but I don't think that's fair straight-up, so I ask in return to two of those offers Notorious CC and Peeping Tom CC respectfully. Apparently trading things in like value is no good to them.
Old 08-22-02, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by J-Dubya

I have to agree here, I have a sealed 2 disc criterion that I've received 3 offers for(all from 'gold' traders). Yes, Amelie is on my want list but I don't think that's fair straight-up, so I ask in return to two of those offers Notorious CC and Peeping Tom CC respectfully. Apparently trading things in like value is no good to them.
Let's tell the truth here now.

I offered you a 2-for-1 for Carnival of Souls, including Amelie, or Amelie + cash. I told you Peeping Tom is pending trade with someone else.

I don't think that's being greedy. Come on!
Old 08-22-02, 01:50 PM

Skywalker, not picking on those with small lists at all, i just thought that guy was funny that he'd go and post for all sorts of titles from Criterion to 2 disk SEs and all with this little mediocre DVD he had, just that one . Anyway, just funning around , please don't take offense as it wasn't intended to slam anyone
Old 08-22-02, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay... I saw my name mentioned so I will respond.

Movieking, you trade was perfect. I knew it would take a while due to where you were located but, we both sent on the same day and received on the same day.. so I have no problems with you. I don't have a problems with any Canadians... I was just referring to a conversation my friend jay (bigskillet) and I had and I just passed along my thoughts.

It happened once, were the guy waited, but it got here the next day after I emailed him so all is good.

As far as fair trades go, J-Dubya, I know I offered you an Amelie for the Dances with Wolves.. but not only that, I had you check my list. In fact, I didn't even offer Amelie, I asked what I needed to do to get that particular DVD. You were a nice person to talk with and you know I didn't try and BS you. Maybe one day a trade between us will take place.

Mr. Foo, I understand you frustration. You had to put up with me a few weeks ago, so believe me, I understand.

As for crappy lists... it happens. But you have to understand, those that have crappy lists, such as myself, would do a 2 or 3 for 1 for one of those discs. I am not a CC fan... but this is about any DVDS.

Finally, check out my friend Chad's (codefree) list.. he has some decent stuff and he is very fair in his prices. There's your free plug Chad! LMK if your girl, or you, changes her,your mind on the Sopranos!

Bill
Old 08-23-02, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Mr. Foo

Let's tell the truth here now.

I offered you a 2-for-1 for Carnival of Souls, including Amelie, or Amelie + cash. I told you Peeping Tom is pending trade with someone else.

I don't think that's being greedy. Come on!
I am telling the truth, I'm not including your offer nor Bill Geiger's in my count(the persons I spoke of know who they are). I did include my counter-offer to you although I didn't see a pending highlight when I emailed you. Sorry for any confusion. I will be trading much more often in the future as part of a deal with my wife in buying our new car. She's giving up buying cafe mochas. I don't know who will have it rougher.
Old 08-23-02, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No sweat J-Dubya. Hope to work a deal with you on something eventually.

Was in a pissy mood yesterday and had to vent some. Reason being.....

*****vent mode on agai*************

... I had **2** people (present company excluded) back out on deals the past couple of days after addresses had been exchanged.

This is a cardinal trading sin in my book.

If I COMMIT to a trade, I FOLLOW THROUGH on it even if it means having to go out and buy another copy of a title that I thought was available for trade and ended up not being, or that ended up being of less quality than I originally thought when discussing with a would-be trader. And I NEVER renig on a done deal, even if I find the titles I am looking for cheaper after the fact.

Arrrrggggh.

**vent mode off**
Old 08-23-02, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by Bill Geiger
Finally, check out my friend Chad's (codefree) list.. he has some decent stuff and he is very fair in his prices. There's your free plug Chad! LMK if your girl, or you, changes her,your mind on the Sopranos!
You da man Bill! I decided to mail your DVD today rather than waiting for the check. It's always a good time chatting with you via email and I know you're one of the good guys. As for Sopranos, we just received our preorder of Season 3 yesterday and already watched the first two eps. They were very good! I just haven't rewatched any of the eps from the first two seasons which makes the point of my owning them rather weak so who knows... if I decide to sell them you'll be the one I contact first. BTW, I'm open to offers for the titles in my list but according to forum rules we need to have prices listed. I may be willing to ship for no additional money for those buying multiple titles, just send me an offer. I try not to be greedy in my pricing but I don't know how much some of them are online and sometimes price too high. Heck, I already gave a couple deals out because people said my prices for used DVDs were about the same as new ones are. I'm willing to work with anyone who has a good attitude. I was also happy to ship to a Canadian whom I've had a few good deals with in the past despite my "USA only" listing.

Last edited by codefree; 08-23-02 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-23-02, 11:07 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
closing...

Continued here.