DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Fulfilling your purchase commitment with 1 Blu-Ray title

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-11, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Fulfilling your purchase commitment with 1 Blu-Ray title

Originally Posted by joltman
I just had a thought, I wonder if this means a 19.95 MSRP Blu-ray would count for 1 commitment? ie, a 19.95 MSRP title that has a sale price of 11.97.
That's actually a good question. Anybody have any idea? I think most here haven't even tried it because we don't/didn't think it would help us to fulfill...

I don't have an account that needs fulfilling, but I don't want to try it anyway...
Old 05-09-11, 01:32 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
I just had a thought, I wonder if this means a 19.95 MSRP Blu-ray would count for 1 commitment? ie, a 19.95 MSRP title that has a sale price of 11.97.
Nope, I tried it. I bought Stand by Me which has a regular club price/MSRP of $24.95 on sale for $14.97 and it didn't count for fulfillment.
Old 05-09-11, 03:52 PM

FYI, I recently opened a new account and ordered The Green Hornet 3D (plus two DVDs with a B1G2 for $36 and change), and now my account says my purchase commitment has been fulfilled.
Old 05-09-11, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you guys think a pre-order will work, or does it have until it ships for CH to figure this thing out and change it? (thinking about True Grit)
Old 05-09-11, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I thought with an older web design, when placing an item in your cart it displayed if it was a fufilling item or not.... If I remember wrong, maybe it was a dream.. and would be really handy now...
Old 05-09-11, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

^You are correct. Before the re-design that was a feature of the cart. You could also have a title check out at the "regular" price to make it a fulfillment if it were on sale at a lower price which did not count. Example: On a B1/60% sale you could make that 60% off title "regular" price so it'd count as well.
Old 05-09-11, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

and we were able to cancel an order.. before it was done processing.. can't find that either..

I was all into the multiple fufillments with MSRP thing.. and put a TV set in the cart that was under 19.95 (along with a freebie DVD). Then it hit me.. that isn't a fufillment selection. So I was going to cancel. Yikes.

Last edited by b2net; 05-09-11 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-09-11, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
That's SOP for CH.
As soon as I reread what i wrote, I realized i'm an idiot! lol All stores will not let you get a more expensive item for free when you pay for the cheaper one.
Old 05-09-11, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Schloob1
NOW, if I were you and you say the OOP Paramount title I assume right now says "backordered" you could take the risk that you might get lucky and that it goes into cancelled status. If that were to happen you would then be allowed to get a different title and instead of it being a DVD you could most likely get another Blu instead. Just a thought.
Yeah, I just received an email from CH about a certain OOP Paramount DVD that was initially backordered, but they didn't cancel it. They said, they will wait 30 days to see if they get it back and stock, but I could cancel if I want.

If I call to cancel it, do I get to pick a replacement (and how would I possibly get a Blu-ray, just by having it be less than the purchased titiel?) or do I need to wait the 30 days? I really would've liked to cancel out the account sooner rather than later.
Old 05-09-11, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
Yeah, I just received an email from CH about a certain OOP Paramount DVD that was initially backordered, but they didn't cancel it. They said, they will wait 30 days to see if they get it back and stock, but I could cancel if I want.

If I call to cancel it, do I get to pick a replacement (and how would I possibly get a Blu-ray, just by having it be less than the purchased titiel?) or do I need to wait the 30 days? I really would've liked to cancel out the account sooner rather than later.
From what you are saying it sounds like it, but don't qoute me on it since I have never had that experience. Mine had automatically came up cancelled. Let me know what ultimately happens as right now I am stuck on 1 backordered fulfillment title myself. thx
Old 05-09-11, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
(and how would I possibly get a Blu-ray, just by having it be less than the purchased titiel?)
I was able to pick a BR as a replacement, I think they do those manually, so you just have to get lucky with the CSR.
Old 05-09-11, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by starman9000
I was able to pick a BR as a replacement, I think they do those manually, so you just have to get lucky with the CSR.
Hmmm... I may try this with one of my free DVD titles tomorrow.
Old 05-10-11, 06:02 AM

I thought you had to pay the full regular price (MSRP) for the Blu-Ray for it to be counted as a fulfillment, but from the conversation it doesn't seem to be that that's the case.

Can anyone confirm? Thanks
Old 05-10-11, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Slave2Blu
Hmmm... I may try this with one of my free DVD titles tomorrow.
Good luck with that, when at least I got a blu as a replacement I was replacing another Blu.
Old 05-10-11, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jigga6286
I thought you had to pay the full regular price (MSRP) for the Blu-Ray for it to be counted as a fulfillment, but from the conversation it doesn't seem to be that that's the case.

Correct, and I don't even know of how many Blus you can even purchase at full regular price anyways as I'm pretty sure 99.99% are discounted right now.
Old 05-10-11, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jigga6286

You do NOT have to pay full price for a Blu-ray for it to be counted as a fulfillment. I've fulfilled a number of accounts with BDs and never paid the MSRP. In fact, I fulfilled a new account 2 days with one BD purchase and a BOGO code. I bought the BD of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest Ultimate Edition for 29.97 (MSRP is 49.95) and now my account is fulfilled.
Old 05-10-11, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Schloob1

Yes and I agree not too many great $23.97 titlles to get...

They just added the BBC show Sherlock Series One for $23.97. This will be my next fulfillment purchase.
Old 05-11-11, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the clarification.. this means I'll be cycling through accounts at a quicker rate!
Old 05-12-11, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sweet! Picked up the 300 BR set, and added a Criterion DVD (The Ruling Class) which I was able to flip on Glyde .. Once everything comes in I will cancel and repeat process. Thanks, OP!
Old 05-12-11, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I ordered Mad Men Season 4 w/the BOGO code and it said my order was fulfilled.

The dvd I got free was backordered, so when I called to replace it (Somewhere, but like an idiot I read off the wrong selection #, so the CSR searched by title and processed the DVD instead of the BR I was shooting for).

But, now when I check my account it no longer says it is fulfilled, it is changed to needing to purchase 1 more title.

Just a word of caution to those w/backordered free titles.