Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

Columbia House Bankruptcy

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Old 08-11-15, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read it in the Verge this morning. Columbia House has filed for Ch. 11 bankruptcy. Maybe the end of an era in mail order music and video. I've belonged several times and was a big customer of its rival, the BMG Disk Club--got tons of great music CDs there. I'd still belong if it hadn't folded 7 years ago.
Old 08-17-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 780 Likes on 654 Posts
Re: Columbia House Bankruptcy

As someone that built large portions of their music and movie collections from Columbia House, it's a sad moment. I guess it reflects the waning interest in physical media.
Old 08-17-15, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember joining as a kid in the early 80s and getting 10 albums/cassettes for a penny, got a lot of cool stuff - and a lot of unwanted crap when I forgot to send the cards back lmao Good times.
The following users liked this post:
etching (08-06-22)
Old 08-17-15, 06:59 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I think in the last two years, the incompetence they demonstrated time and time again by incorrect billing and overcharging hastened their demise. Who would want to shop at a store with horrible customer service and terrible technical problems resulting in overcharging.
Old 08-19-15, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
As someone that built large portions of their music and movie collections from Columbia House, it's a sad moment. I guess it reflects the waning interest in physical media.
mis managment and poor ability to adapt would be more likely.
Old 12-22-15, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CH looks like they are bringing back a record/vinyl club in 2016. Maybe they are restructuring.
Old 12-23-15, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Part of my wants this to happen for continuity sake.
Old 03-21-16, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I remember liking the RCA club better back in the day over Columbia House because they used the original cassette liners. Columbia House was know to make their own with those stupid red stripes down the spine.
Old 10-20-17, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Went to their website today on a lark. They now have a total of 22 Blu-ray titles on sale. How are they sticking around at this point? Even if they do have a liquidation sale (the only reason I was keeping my account open), they have nothing left to liquidate. A sad end, but it was a fun run.
Old 10-20-17, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 354 Likes on 227 Posts

I haven't logged in for a long while. But I still get the occasional e-mail, including one today. I could get 4 DVDs for $10 each!
Old 10-20-17, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

I used to buy stuff from them quite a bit but I haven't logged in for quite some time and I couldn't even think of what my last order was. I don't think I ever bought Blu-rays there. Their deals were okay at times but they seemed to not keep up with competition very well.
Old 10-20-17, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 611 Likes on 451 Posts

Wow... I'm amazed they're still in business. Considering they had an abysmal selection and horrid prices when I finally cancelled my membership a few years back I'd have expected them to go under by now.

**EDIT**
I went to their site just to look around. Gee... sign up and get 2 DVDs for $9.95 each! Only have to purchase 1 to fulfill! (I wish sarcasm came through printed material.) They offer lots of titles - wait... many of the ones shown aren't available for the sign-up offer! So why do they bother putting them on the page with a "Add to box" option? None of the TV seasons, none of the BR titles (and there are only 22 shown, none of which I'd call "high profile" titles), and most of the "better" (new release) DVDs (which also have an unavailable BR option when selected). What a joke!

Last edited by BobO'Link; 10-20-17 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-20-17, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 736 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by watson503
I remember joining as a kid in the early 80s and getting 10 albums/cassettes for a penny, got a lot of cool stuff - and a lot of unwanted crap when I forgot to send the cards back lmao Good times.
That's when you write "RETURN TO SENDER" on the box and dump it back in the mail. I never paid for anything I didn't order, whether I remembered to respond to their mailings or not.