Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

New Customer Service Phone Number Effective March 01, 2010

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Customer Service Phone Number Effective March 01, 2010

Hello Everyone,

Just some information here that I came upon. I just called in to check out the new automated phone system (last time I tried, it told me both my old and my new account numbers were invalid and would not let me into the system).

In any case, I just got through and as part of the initial message talking about how the phone system has been "improved and streamlined", they suddenly had the following recording:

Effective March 1, our Customer Service Number will be 717-918-3232.
Wonder if that means the 800 number will be disappearing and anyone needing help will have to call long distance (unless you have a cell phone where long distance is free)?

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up, in case the number fails to make its way posted onto the new CH website.
Old 02-09-10, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: New Customer Service Phone Number Effective March 01, 2010

I wonder if that means we'll actually be speaking to folks in the US, as opposed to India...
Old 02-09-10, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I wonder if that means we'll actually be speaking to folks in the US, as opposed to India...
Sounds like Harrisburg PA
Old 02-09-10, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by lolitazz
Sounds like Harrisburg PA
The number is currently associated (at least according to some Google results) with HANOVER WAREHOUSES.

Hanover, PA is their current return address and the a main warehouse they ship from, I believe. That's one reason why, in PA, I get charged sales tax on stuff from them ... because they have a "physical presence" here.
Old 03-01-10, 06:58 PM

Just a bump as a reminder that this went into effect today.

Just called and the message just tells you that the new number is 717.918.3232 or you can email [email protected] or [email protected].
Old 06-18-10, 03:04 AM

I just got my phone bill and found out it cost me $9 to close my CH account using 717-918-3232. There were three different calls at $3 each. I'm on the west coast and the first time I called (at about 3pm pacific time) I got a recording saying offices were closed for the day--it cost me 3 bucks just to hear that message. Tried again the next day and was on hold forever and finally hung up. The third day I waited a while and finally got through and successfully closed my account.

Ultimately this is my own fault for not realizing it was a toll call, but I'm still a little p.o.'d. CH is intentionally making it difficult to close your account by no longer offering that option online.
Old 06-18-10, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^While it doesn't help your current phone bills, I can understand why Columbia House decided to cut costs and end toll free phone lines. Most communication is probably done by e-mail nowadays and answering e-mails is much more efficient in staff time than answering phone calls.

You might want to consider getting a phone calling card for long distance calls. 3¢ a minute (or less) cards are available from places like Costco. They can be re-filled with minutes, so one only has to buy a card and memorize a set of access numbers once; I've had mine for many years. If you are using a land line, make sure to cancel your current long distance service and save some bucks.

For routine communications with Columbia House, including closing accounts, just e-mail them at [email protected]. Be sure to give your name, address, and account number and explain clearly what you would like them to do ("I've completed my membership obligation and would like to close account # xxxxxxx.") You may have to e-mail them twice to get the results you want since the first response could be a useless canned reply.
Old 06-18-10, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

^^ and ^:

You can close your account easily online:

Select "Help" (upper right of screen)
Then the "Still Have Questions? Contact Us" link on the lower right of the Help page
Now the "click here" link on the next page (first line)
On the new page in the " Request Type" drop down select "My Account"
When the page reloads/refreshes, select "Cancelling your Account" in the dropdown under "My Account"
In the "Questions / Comments" box put something along the line of "I've fulfilled my obligation on this account and would like to cancel."
Click "Submit".

You'll get a confirmation email within 24 hours (This is a copy of your request with an automated "we'll get back to you ASAP" type message).

Typically within 48-72 hours you'll receive another email from a CS rep. verifying the cancellation of the account

If you use the "Canceling Your Account" link under Help all you'll get is the phone number to call.

My theory on the phone number is that many people now use cell phones for LD calling and do not actually have LD charges anymore because almost all plans have "free" nationwide LD. Why pay for a corporate Toll Free line if most calls originate from cell phones with unlimited LD? It makes good business sense even though I think it sucks because I do not own and refuse to own a cell phone, thus if I have to call it's a toll charge (unless I sweet talk a friend into allowing me to "borrow" theirs for the call).

That said I can state that I've had over 20 acounts and have only made 1 call. That call screwed up the charges and cost me an additional $5 due to CS stupidity. I was trying to save ~$.75 (and earn cash back) by pre-paying for an order using a CC on a "bill me" account because it was a new account with a order over $50 that they would not ship until it was paid for - long story - it's easier to just send the check. After that fiasco I switched to email communication only and have not had any further issues. I also no longer do "Bill me" type accounts but use virtual CC for CH.
Old 08-16-10, 09:26 PM

Just noticed in the paper catalog that there is a new 800 number.

1-800-408-8905

Just tried calling it to make sure it works and it gives you the automated system.