Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

NEW CH Blu-ray Club? (seriously, read this)

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

NEW CH Blu-ray Club? (seriously, read this)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-08, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I received the CH 3 Blu-ray for $4.99 + s/h, with three more to buy in the next two years via snail mail today as well. No internet addresses on it, just a number to call or a form to fill out.

Come on, CH, this is 2008!
Old 07-02-08, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by muggins
I received the CH 3 Blu-ray for $4.99 + s/h, with three more to buy in the next two years via snail mail today as well. No internet addresses on it, just a number to call or a form to fill out.

Come on, CH, this is 2008!
Is there any way you can post screenshots of it here, or forward it to me by email. I think I'm going to go ahead and guineapig this puppy, but I want dome more info before calling in.
I have heard of TWO DIFFERENT offers. One with 3 fulfillments, one with 4 fulfillments. I'd like to make sure I'm getting the best deal. Is there a code associated with this offer?
I have heard of 2 codes, BLW and BMQ. I don't know which offer those codes are associated with. I also don't know if I will need a PSN.
Old 07-06-08, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by SMART-ASS
Is there any way you can post screenshots of it here, or forward it to me by email. I think I'm going to go ahead and guineapig this puppy, but I want dome more info before calling in..
Here are some scans of the Columbia House blu-ray offer I got via snail mail today:

List of Blu-ray movies on CH:

Membership Details:

CH BR Order Form:

Hope this helps you.
Old 07-07-08, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Using SD DVDs to fulfill (even assuming B1G1 w/free shipping) -- knowing that SD DVDs normally are had for about $5 each average cost on a normal account -- the $4.99 + shipping for the enrollments makes the BR titles work out to about $15 each. Not nearly good enough for me.
Old 07-08-08, 09:30 AM
Suspended

I'd have to have free shipping on the enrollment set to consider it. I am very excited about this thread though.
Old 07-31-08, 07:08 PM

any updates on this? If you called in, was it a smooth experience?
Old 07-31-08, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never did sign up. Just never got around to it, and with the latest deal on Blu-ray BOGO for current members, this deal wouldn't even make sense.
Has ANYONE signed up?... anyone?
Old 08-01-08, 10:16 AM
Suspended

well I would give it a try but they said without the code from the mailer I cant do it. So I guess I will wait and see if it comes, unless anyone has one and doesnt want to try it, then send me the code.
Old 08-01-08, 11:46 AM

I never did sign up. Just never got around to it, and with the latest deal on Blu-ray BOGO for current members, this deal wouldn't even make sense.
Has ANYONE signed up?... anyone?
I signed up on the 1st of July, I didn't have PSN but cast member said that it was no problem, I told her the 3 titles I wanted (Hairspray, HP:OotP, & Ghost Rider) see read the agreement etc,etc. But after 3 weeks of nothing I figured it was "lost", but to my surprise it came in on the 28th, 4 day after the B1G1 sale
Old 09-26-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Does anyone have an updated list of available enrollments for this deal. All of my old accounts are closed and I'm thinking about signing up for this so I can have an account the next time they do B1G1.
Old 09-26-08, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by collven
Does anyone have an updated list of available enrollments for this deal. All of my old accounts are closed and I'm thinking about signing up for this so I can have an account the next time they do B1G1.

See post #28 above.
Old 09-26-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I make some assumptions, I can come up with some numbers for this club. Although the order form says "$28.95" for BD fulfillments, I am going to guess that any BD priced over $19.95 will qualify, as is the case for the regular DVD club. If so, the least expensive BDs that would qualify would be MSRP $28.95, club price $21.71; the selection of these is pretty good. And, I am going to assume that the recent B1G1F + free shipping will return periodically, to be used for fulfillment. If so, the numbers would look like this:

Enrollment: ($4.99 + $1.99 [shipping]) x 3 = $20.94 (3 BDs)
Fulfillment: ($21.71 + [free BD] + [free shipping]) x 3 = $65.13 (6 BDs)

Total: $20.94 + $65.13 = $86.07 (9 BDs)
Average BD cost: $86.07/9 = $9.563

$9.56 is a decent price for Blu-ray Discs. Of course, if one ordered more expensive fulfillments, the average cost could rise considerably.

If I make the assumption that the fulfillments are all $39.95 titles, club price $29.96, the numbers would look like this:

Enrollment: ($4.99 + $1.99 [shipping]) x 3 = $20.94 (3 BDs)
Fulfillment: ($29.96 + [free BD] + [free shipping]) x 3 = $89.88 (6 BDs)

Total: $20.94 + $89.88 = $110.82 (9 BDs)
Average BD cost: $110.82/9 = $12.313

Still an ok price by the standards of those buying BDs from regular stores.

Last edited by lizard; 09-26-08 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-26-08, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes Lizard, still good price by both scenarios. The biggest problem for many of us, is the limited selection of BRs theat CH has available. You'd think they would have almost everything but Disney and associated-with-Disney titles. However, their selection of waht they do and don't have available is very limited. During the B1G1F sale, I had trouble trying to find several that I even wanted to buy. Granted I do have a personal collection of maybe 120 BRs already, so that's another thng to factor in there too.
Of course "one" could just buy some of the most popular titles and trade them with other people to get what you want. However that scenio has drawbacks too, like adding in $2 shiiping just to trade the dvd. So that bumps up the average price even more.

I think this holiday season with be a huge BUMP for the Blu-ray market. So it will start becoming more mainstream. Soon after maybe Ch will have more offers for beter pricing on BRs.

Last edited by SMART-ASS; 09-26-08 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Changes BUMB to BUMP...ooops :)
Old 09-26-08, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jeffrey r
See post #28 above.

That post is 2 1/2 months old. I was hoping someone had an updated list.
Old 09-27-08, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by collven
That post is 2 1/2 months old. I was hoping someone had an updated list.

From what I understand, those are the titles you need to choose from if you use the BLW code for enrollment. As to an overall list, I think I've seen one recently on dvdtalk or highdefdigest.

Last edited by jeffrey r; 09-27-08 at 07:03 AM.
Old 09-27-08, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jeffrey r
From what I understand, those are the titles you need to choose from if you use the BLW code for enrollment. As to an overall list, I think I've seen one recently on dvdtalk or highdefdigest.

OK, thanks. I was just hoping they had updated their available enrollments.
Old 09-27-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes Lizard, still good price by both scenarios. The biggest problem for many of us, is the limited selection of BRs theat CH has available. You'd think they would have almost everything but Disney and associated-with-Disney titles. However, their selection of waht they do and don't have available is very limited. During the B1G1F sale, I had trouble trying to find several that I even wanted to buy. Granted I do have a personal collection of maybe 120 BRs already, so that's another thng to factor in there too.
Of course "one" could just buy some of the most popular titles and trade them with other people to get what you want. However that scenio has drawbacks too, like adding in $2 shiiping just to trade the dvd. So that bumps up the average price even more.

I think this holiday season with be a huge BUMP for the Blu-ray market. So it will start becoming more mainstream. Soon after maybe Ch will have more offers for beter pricing on BRs.
Oh I agree and mentioned the limited BD selection in another post. The problem for me (besides the inability to find an affordable, fully-functional BD player, but that's another issue) is that most of the few titles that would interest me I already have on HD DVD. Some of the rest are Disney — no luck there, of course — or Fox, which I refuse to buy because they are grossly overpriced. And I generally avoid buying new releases for six months to a year, when they inevitably drop in price.

But looking at those numbers I posted above, even expensive Fox and new release titles are getting tempting. Still, my usual price limit for BDs is $10 or less and $12.31 doesn't cut it.

Given the limited selection of BDs at Columbia House cycling Blu-ray accounts might not make much sense. But if one could find nine that are of interest, one account could be a good deal. And it is likely that CH will continue to add titles at a steady pace; there are currently about 272 BDs at present.

It wasn't advertised very well, but I am hopeful that the recent B1G1F for Blu-ray Discs caused a major boost to sales at Columbia House. Perhaps that will cause them to increase their attention to the new format. More titles and more deals would be nice.
Old 11-28-08, 09:42 AM
Cool New Member

Any updates on this? I was thinking about signing up and getting some cheap BR titles? Are they doing new releases on BR yet?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated...
Old 11-28-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by HTspec
Any updates on this?
Nobody has posted about trying this Blu-ray club recently.
I was thinking about signing up and getting some cheap BR titles?
Given the enrollment costs, they aren't exactly cheap. But you could give it a try. My numbers in post 37 above assume using B1G1F + free shipping for BD for fulfilling the account and such deals have been rare.
Are they doing new releases on BR yet?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated...
What do you mean by "are they doing new releases on BR yet"? All the studios have been putting all major new releases on Blu-ray Disc and Columbia House has been carrying new BD releases from most studios (except Disney/Pixar, of course) for many months now. So, I guess the answer to your question is "yes".

Have you checked out the first post in the http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-clubs/5...bia-house.html thread yet?
Old 11-28-08, 04:13 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by lizard
Nobody has posted about trying this Blu-ray club recently.Given the enrollment costs, they aren't exactly cheap. But you could give it a try. My numbers in post 37 above assume using B1G1F + free shipping for BD for fulfilling the account and such deals have been rare. What do you mean by "are they doing new releases on BR yet"? All the studios have been putting all major new releases on Blu-ray Disc and Columbia House has been carrying new BD releases from most studios (except Disney/Pixar, of course) for many months now. So, I guess the answer to your question is "yes".

Have you checked out the first post in the http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-clubs/5...bia-house.html thread yet?
Looks like you have it all rapped up already for me! Thank you for the link.

By new releases I meant if CH carries them as soon as they come out in other stores and from your detailed list it looks like they do and also have pre-orders like everyone else?

The numbers look good if you can get the B1G1 free and free shipping but I guess from what you posted this might not happen the the two year period you have to fulfill your obligation?

Is there a current "BEST" code to use to signup?

Thanks for all the work you have done on this already Lizard!
Old 11-28-08, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Too bad they don't have a website for this yet.
Old 11-29-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by HTspec
Looks like you have it all rapped up already for me! Thank you for the link.

By new releases I meant if CH carries them as soon as they come out in other stores and from your detailed list it looks like they do and also have pre-orders like everyone else?
In most cases Columbia House will have pre-orders at the same time as the regular release date. Some lesser titles are delayed until CH gets around to carrying them. Be aware that you might get a pre-order within a few days of release date ... or perhaps not for a week or two. If you absolutely want it on release date, CH is not for you.
The numbers look good if you can get the B1G1 free and free shipping but I guess from what you posted this might not happen the the two year period you have to fulfill your obligation?
We have seen several B1G1F + free shipping for Blu-ray Discs in the past year. I'd be mighty surprised if we don't see another for two years. No guarantees though.
Is there a current "BEST" code to use to signup?
The offer described in this thread is the only one known. The list of titles available for enrollment may have changed. The offer may even not be valid anymore. Someone will just have to try it and see.
Thanks for all the work you have done on this already Lizard!
You're welcome.
Old 12-09-08, 11:19 PM

I called tonight to place an initial order for the blu ray discs. There were a few on the sheet that had been posted that I was interested in, and didn't have yet. After calling a second time (the first I ended up not being able to get through to anyone and was disconnected) I went to place my order with the code and used one of my current account numbers as the preferred status number. The code works and you need a preferred status number. I gave the code, but no status number at first and they would NOT do the blu ray deal. Instead they tried to sell me their normal dvd spiel - get 4 free buy 100 at regular club prices, etc.

So, after all of this, I give a MC to pay and then wallah! Computer problems and the order would not process. So, I was told to call another number for CS and have them take the order. So, I call this number and they refused to open an account for me over the phone - the did take my address to send me a copy of the blu ray deal, and I will post this when I get it.

I am going to try and call again in the morning and see if it will work then - I have a few movies not from the list posted and want to see if any of them will work as the initial order. I'll let ya know.
Old 12-10-08, 02:55 PM
Cool New Member

I had account several years ago. I wonder if they will reactivate to take advantage of the Blu Ray deal? I don't have a mailing. I did read on AVSFORUM if you don't have a code you can use the excuse of you left it at home. People have reported success doing this. I have not recieved anything in the mail.
Old 12-11-08, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^DONT reopen the same account...thats pointless, as you will have missed out on the actual deal. Just open a new one...either this BD club deal if you can get it, or just do the TV club as mentioned in other threads (there are still plenty of SD DVD sets I want, and they make good presents too).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.