Reload this Page >

5 day contest. Win an order up to $200

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Old 05-18-08, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 270 Likes on 206 Posts

CH just started a contest where you can win your order for free up to $200. Or, if your entry was not from placing an order you will win $200. Each order counts as an entry once per day.

Worth a shot since many of us log in daily. Maybe someone here will win one.
Old 05-19-08, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet! I put a shortcut on my desktop to remind me to enter daily. Thanks, movieguru.
Old 05-19-08, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts
From the official rules page:

Limit of one entry per person per day regardless of method of entry. Multiple participants are not permitted to share the same email address. Any attempt by any participant to obtain more than the stated number of entries by using multiple/different email addresses, identities, registrations and logins, or any other methods will void that participant's entries and that participant may be disqualified.

Not real clear as to whether it's once per account as well. I only entered on 1 of my accounts (you have to go into the official rules and look for the 'click here' to enter link).

Seems kind of backwards that if if you place a $50 order and win you end up with $50 back and if you don't place an order, you get $200.
Old 05-19-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does this mean you actually have to make an order with the intent of paying if you don't win? Or can you just submit your acct info somewhere for a random drawing without ordering anything?
Old 05-19-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
Does this mean you actually have to make an order with the intent of paying if you don't win? Or can you just submit your acct info somewhere for a random drawing without ordering anything?
By law, a contest must offer a free entry method, otherwise it is gambling. Columbia House hides it as well as they can but it is possible to enter without placing an order.

To do this, click on the banner on the CH website. Then click on a hidden link under "official rules". Then click on a hidden link under the "How to Enter" paragraph called "click here".

Perhaps they look different in IE or other browsers, but in Firefox those links are almost invisible unless you place the cursor over them.
Old 05-19-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i dare them to give me $200. triple dog dare them.
Old 05-19-08, 11:26 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
i dare them to give me $200. triple dog dare them.
you're on double secret probation, smart guy!
Old 05-19-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lizard
By law, a contest must offer a free entry method, otherwise it is gambling. Columbia House hides it as well as they can but it is possible to enter without placing an order.

To do this, click on the banner on the CH website. Then click on a hidden link under "official rules". Then click on a hidden link under the "How to Enter" paragraph called "click here".

Perhaps they look different in IE or other browsers, but in Firefox those links are almost invisible unless you place the cursor over them.
You da man, lizard!
Old 05-19-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 624 Likes on 458 Posts
What is not clearly stated is what happens if you place an order after doing a manual entry. The implication is that you could be disqualified by attempting to "obtain more than the stated number of entries" or simply get only the order value if you *do* win. As this only runs through Friday it makes me not want to place *any* order until the 24th and only do the manual entry bit. Which is a bit of a pain because, in addition to attempting to "hide" the manual entry link, they make you enter your name, email, and account number manually! YOU'RE ALREADY LOGGED IN! They could automatically pull it from your account information! Sheesh!
Old 05-19-08, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, Lizard. That is very hidden, indeed. I had to stare at that paragraph for a full minute before I saw it...
Old 05-20-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
What is not clearly stated is what happens if you place an order after doing a manual entry. The implication is that you could be disqualified by attempting to "obtain more than the stated number of entries" or simply get only the order value if you *do* win. As this only runs through Friday it makes me not want to place *any* order until the 24th and only do the manual entry bit. Which is a bit of a pain because, in addition to attempting to "hide" the manual entry link, they make you enter your name, email, and account number manually! YOU'RE ALREADY LOGGED IN! They could automatically pull it from your account information! Sheesh!
Sweepstakes usually try to make it hard to enter without buying anything and also try to take advantage of the fact that many people think that buying something will help their chances of winning. It is a well-established sales stimulus.

As for the business about placing an order or not and how much you will win, come on! The chances of winning anything must be tens or hundreds of thousands to one. On the order of 0.0001 to 0.000001, I would guess. That's pretty close to zero in my book.

Enter if you like but don't worry about it.
Old 05-20-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess in that same effort to make it difficult to enter, I just logged into the site and saw nothing of this promotion on any banner/screen. I had to go pull up the e-mail and click thru that link in order to enter today.
Old 05-20-08, 12:45 PM

What email? Anybody have a link?
Old 05-20-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 270 Likes on 206 Posts
Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I guess in that same effort to make it difficult to enter, I just logged into the site and saw nothing of this promotion on any banner/screen. I had to go pull up the e-mail and click thru that link in order to enter today.
There's a link where you go to your sho[pping cart. The first day it was on the front page when you sign in.
Old 05-21-08, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Watson2
What email? Anybody have a link?
Try this: http://www.columbiahouse.com/sa/190/...Id=442&&auto=1
Old 05-22-08, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CalebAndCo
Thanks for this. The banner is gone, and I see nothing on my shopping cart screen either...
Old 05-22-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 624 Likes on 458 Posts
^Probably because they don't really want you to enter unless you order. Obfuscation is the name of the game...
Old 05-22-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's funny - because of their efforts to hide this contest (at least using a non-purchase entry method), I'm more determined to make sure I get my daily entry in. My odds have to be better, right?
Old 06-17-08, 01:59 PM

Did someone win this or was it all BS?
Old 06-17-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

With regard to CH's insanely unethical law breaking business practices, I'd have a straight poker face if I learned of it being totally fake just to ring up more business.
In other words, I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 06-20-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd guess it was legit. There is probably a contact address in the T&C that one could use to find out who won. But odds were against anyone here winning.
Old 07-17-08, 07:59 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
I actually won a sony digital camera from the ch dvd club about 5 years ago in a previous contest. They really give out the prizes.