Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

List of High Definition Discs at Columbia House

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

List of High Definition Discs at Columbia House

Old 10-16-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The BD version of Pan's Labyrinth has been added. Also Ocean's 13 has been added for both formats.

I notice that the list price is the same for both the HD DVD combo and the BD, for a change. (Warner is supposed to be discontinuing combos after this year; they have apparently figured out that the higher pricing for combos was affecting sales.)
Old 10-17-07, 01:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Ocean's trilogy box set is now listed for both formats.
Old 10-19-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Added. Also added Stardust - HD DVD.
Old 10-23-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Added a couple of Universal HD DVD titles released today:
Carlito's Way
Inside Man
Old 10-25-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It appears that CH has dumped the newly available Kubrick titles(I was just about to order the HD-DVD version of 2001). Hopefully they will add them back soon.
Old 10-25-07, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
It appears that CH has dumped the newly available Kubrick titles(I was just about to order the HD-DVD version of 2001). Hopefully they will add them back soon.
Yeah, I preordered 2001 and The Shining. I got an email from CH this morning stating that they were temporarily out of stock and that if they weren't back in stock by 11/22, my order would be canceled. At least I already got my free titles.
Old 10-25-07, 11:27 PM
Banned

You know, these new HD titles CH is carrying are going to be the death of me. After a few years of buying DVDs to have for the sake of having them (and never getting around to watching them), I finally slowed down and got more selective.

Now because HD and Blu-Ray titles are limited in selection and they slowing pop up on CH one at a time, I'm buying them when half-decent titles pop up because there are no other choices!
Old 11-06-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For those interested, the "Chuck and Larry" HD DVD combo has been added today, release day, as is customary for Universal titles.
Old 11-07-07, 05:49 PM

Anyone care to polish their crystal ball, and predict if CH will have the Ultimate Blade Runner in HD-DVD?
Old 11-07-07, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^I'm guessing that the Ultimate set will be too plush for CH to carry it. And they don't even have the regular version, so far as I have seen, which kind of surprises me. I think that Columbia House is still experimenting with HD titles.

I'm hoping that Battlestar Galactica [HD DVD] shows up on schedule on December 4th. It'll be a blind buy for me (I live out in the boondocks so I only get two channels of TV and have never seen the show) and I have been waiting for it for several years now because I knew that it was a cinch to come out in high definition. The wait is almost over...
Old 11-09-07, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im also hoping for BSG S1 as well...I just opened an account for the first time in forever and I was hoping to see it available for preorder. Hopefully itll be up by at least the 4th.
Old 11-09-07, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^I also opened my first account in a long time, for BSG S1 HD DVD. Don't know if Columbia House will carry it; might depend on whether the Heroes HD DVD set sold well. I wouldn't expect it to show up at CH until December 4th, at the earliest.
Old 11-13-07, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix HD DVD (combo) and Blu-ray Disc have appeared in the Columbia House catalog. Price is $35.95 for each and release day is the same 12/11/07 as the other Harry Potter titles.
Old 11-15-07, 04:23 PM
Banned

Gee... CH's HD expansion sure hit a brick wall as of late.
Old 11-15-07, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^They have been adding most major new releases as they become available. The current HD catalog is probably something of a test for Columbia House to gauge the demand among club members. So, I wouldn't expect to see more catalog titles until there are more HD buyers. But they do have 120 titles available, so it isn't nothing. And they do have titles from all the major studios except for Fox and Disney.

A year ago I wouldn't have expected CH to be carrying any high def titles yet.
Old 11-26-07, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, I used to be REALLY INTO my dvd collecting and have bought a couple hundred dvds from CH in the past. About two years ago I decided to swear off dvds and put my money into higher priorities, my 2 boys (3 yrs old, and 1 yr old).
I have probably only bought about 10 dvds in the last 2 years and have been no where near CH-dvd-club.
I am thinking of buying an HD player and wondered if CH started to carry HD dvds or not, so I came back to check and found that they do indeed have them.
Would someone mind giving me the low-down on what CH is all about theses days. I want to get some HD discs.
I need to know how's the best way to sign up for a new membership and the best codes to use... how to get a stack of HD discs for the best price.
I'd appreciate any help/advice anyone can offer and thanks in advance for your consideration.
Dave
Old 11-26-07, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^

HD-DVDs and BRs cannot be taken as an enrollment selection, as the free selection as part of a BOGO offer and you cannot apply FunCash on them. The only way to get a good deal on an HD-DVD/BR is to take it as the paid part of a BOGO order when fulfilling an account. If you sign up with one of the get 7 enrollments/must buy 2 fulfillment codes that you can find in the enrollment codes thread, then the breakdown will be as follows:

7 enrollment DVDs(standard definition) for $12.89(free shipping)
2 HD-DVDs/Blu-Rays for say $44.92(prices vary depending on title) as fulfillments
2 DVDs(standard definition) for FREE(these are the free titles when using a BOGO offer code)
Always wait for free shipping!
Plus sales tax if applicable(fortunately for me, CH does not collect tax in the state of Connecticut)

Total Cost for this Membership(estimated) $57.81
Average Cost per Title(2 high-def titles/9 standard definition titles) $5.25.

Good luck.
Old 11-26-07, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
^

HD-DVDs and BRs cannot be taken as an enrollment selection, as the free selection as part of a BOGO offer and you cannot apply FunCash on them. The only way to get a good deal on an HD-DVD/BR is to take it as the paid part of a BOGO order when fulfilling an account. If you sign up with one of the get 7 enrollments/must buy 2 fulfillment codes that you can find in the enrollment codes thread, then the breakdown will be as follows:

7 enrollment DVDs(standard definition) for $12.89(free shipping)
2 HD-DVDs/Blu-Rays for say $44.92(prices vary depending on title) as fulfillments
2 DVDs(standard definition) for FREE(these are the free titles when using a BOGO offer code)
Always wait for free shipping!
Plus sales tax if applicable(fortunately for me, CH does not collect tax in the state of Connecticut)

Total Cost for this Membership(estimated) $57.81
Average Cost per Title(2 high-def titles/9 standard definition titles) $5.25.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply SBJ . Good to see you're still here to help us out. It is very discouraging though that I would have to buy so many SD dvds just to get 2 HD dvds. That's not really a sensible way to build a library of HD movies. I will have to think long and hard about wether or not to go back to CH for a deal like that.
BTW, any new stuff at CH in the last year or so? Do they carry any MORE Criterion titles than they used too? Last time I was there they just had like 6-7 titles. How about Disney?
Thanks again,
Dave

PS> Just realized that you said no HD discs as fee-bees, but what about as a discount? Like if the sale was B1G1 @ 50% off, would you be able to buy 1 at regular price, then get a second HD disc at 50% off?
Old 11-26-07, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

(nevermind, useless post)
Old 11-26-07, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SMART-ASS
Thanks for the reply SBJ . Good to see you're still here to help us out. It is very discouraging though that I would have to buy so many SD dvds just to get 2 HD dvds. That's not really a sensible way to build a library of HD movies. I will have to think long and hard about wether or not to go back to CH for a deal like that.
BTW, any new stuff at CH in the last year or so? Do they carry any MORE Criterion titles than they used too? Last time I was there they just had like 6-7 titles. How about Disney?
Thanks again,
Dave

PS> Just realized that you said no HD discs as fee-bees, but what about as a discount? Like if the sale was B1G1 @ 50% off, would you be able to buy 1 at regular price, then get a second HD disc at 50% off?
Criterions are now down to just 5(they dumped the OOP first pressing of The Third Man). No Disney(Disney has their own club), but they did bring back Fox. The hi-def titles are discounted by around 25% of their list price. No additional discounts will be applied as of right now. The best way to get some HD titles without buying too many SD titles is to join the TV Club. Use code HDL and you can pick 2 TV sets for $9.95 and you'll have to buy 2 $19.95 or higher titles in the next year. The breakdown for this would be-

2 TV sets for $9.95
2 Hi-Def titles for $44.92(estimate)
2 SD titles for FREE

Total $54.87
Average cost per title $9.15.

Last edited by Sweet Baby James; 11-26-07 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-26-07, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks again
Old 11-26-07, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SMART-ASS
thanks again
Always happy to help. You should check into the TV Club. They just recently updated their available enrollment list with many of the newly available Fox shows.
Old 11-27-07, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^The other way to get high def titles is to join CH.com. In that club all HD titles are 40% off list price and shipping is free. No sales or other offers to fuss with. No buying of SD DVDs except for the two enrollment titles for $9.95.

But, the truth is, if one shops sales at stores like Amazon, one can often get better deals on HD titles without all the hassle of buying SD DVDs and club membership that one has with Columbia House.

Perhaps someday Columbia House will offer better deals on HD titles, but the market is so tiny now that there isn't much reason for them to create, say, an HD club in which HD titles are available for enrollment.
Old 12-01-07, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know what to make of this, but the Harry Potter Years 1-5 sets have gone missing from the Columbia House catalog:

Harry Potter Years 1-5 Limited Edition Giftset - HD DVD (Pre-Order) $149.99 4790705 12/11/07 (missing)
Harry Potter Years 1-5 Limited Edition Giftset - Blu-ray (Pre-Order) $149.95 4789301 12/11/07 (missing)
Old 12-05-07, 01:43 PM
Banned

Should we expect Bourne Ultimatum next week?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.