Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here, Part II

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-07, 02:46 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by ThaGoddfather
I recently ordered 10 dvds from Ch.com and i just got a package for containing only 8 dvds. Will they send me another package with 2 more dvds that i bought?
No. CH charges a 20% premium.

Seriously now, was there an invoice in your package? Did you check the online status of your order?

Every company that uses mail order often sends items in separate packages.
Old 09-04-07, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts
Originally Posted by zombeaner
I ordered Gandhi as part of my enrollment package. I received it, it was in fine shape, but when I put in the second disc of extras, it was entirely in Japanese. All of the copyright warnings and the menus are exclusively in Japanese. The content is obviously in English, however, you have to guess what you are requesting because the menu is unreadable. Is there any recourse? I know that the enrollment packages are promotional items and are therefore not in my order history. Has anyone else received Gandhi in the same condition?
With one of my TV on DVD memberships, BOTH the enrollment titles had defective disks. I got them both replaced with little trouble even though they did not show up in my account either before OR after the replacement.

Just email them with the details and be sure to state the selection was part of your enrollment package. They should send out a replacement along with a pre-paid label for returning the defective unit. Just be sure to ask for a pre-paid label to return the defective selection. They may do this automatically, but I always ask.
Old 09-05-07, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the one time i got a defective DVD they didn't even ask me to send back the old one, they just send me a new one for free. It worked out great cause the only problem on mine was a broken case.
Old 09-08-07, 10:34 PM

Whenever, I login it logs me into Columbia House, not my CH.com account. Even when I request account information via CH.com it sends the same information. How do I do my two fulfillments if I can't even login?
Old 09-09-07, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ Clear your cookies then login through your ch.com welcome e-mail or by manually typing in ch.com into the address bar. The login screen looks different at ch.com than it does at columbiahouse.com -- but once you are logged in the site looks exactly the same (with lower prices).
Old 09-09-07, 11:21 AM

Hmm, still takes me to Columbia House. (My account information is all my columbiahouse.com information). =/
Old 09-09-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blaze1984
the one time i got a defective DVD they didn't even ask me to send back the old one, they just send me a new one for free. It worked out great cause the only problem on mine was a broken case.
The Columbia House policy is if the replacement is the first one on the account then the customer is told to throw out the defective DVD and the replacement is shipped free. It is more expensive for Columbia House to process a returned DVD than it is worth to them (they buy DVDs for $3 or so each and shipping is a major expense).

If there has already been a replacement DVD on the account, any future defective DVDs will need to be returned with a return label, despite the extra cost to CH.

The reason for this is to prevent "ethically challenged" customers from abusing the generous return policy and requesting duplicate DVDs even when there isn't a problem with them.
Old 09-09-07, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I realize that as this thread grows longer, fewer people are going to bother reading the first post. But on the subject of returning DVDs, I will point out that I put this in the FAQ in the first post of this thread:

• I got a damaged or incorrect DVD. What do I do?

You need to call or e-mail Columbia House and get them to send a replacement. If this is the first replacement on the account, the CSR will likely tell you to throw out the damaged DVD and just send out the replacement. Otherwise, CH will send you a “return label” so that you can return the damaged/incorrect DVD at no cost. They will also send out the replacement DVD separately (one often gets the replacement DVD before the return label, don’t be concerned about it).

Please be aware that, in the case of a return, CH will charge you again for the replacement DVD and will then credit back the charge on the returned DVD when they receive it. This credit takes weeks; the wheels at Columbia House grind slowly. If they still haven’t credited your account in four weeks or so, give them a call and let them know.
Old 09-09-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Krelyan
Hmm, still takes me to Columbia House. (My account information is all my columbiahouse.com information). =/
Beyond what Dane Marvin said, which is all correct, I don't have much in the way of suggestions.

Do I understand correctly that you have a CH.com account set up with user name and password? You must use a different user name for each of your Columbia House accounts.

If this is the first time you have ever tried to log-in to your CH.com account, you will need to enter your account number as your user name and your zip code as your password. But I am sure that you know this.

Dumb question, but are you sure that you are trying to log-in with the correct user name?
Old 09-09-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lizard
The Columbia House policy is if the replacement is the first one on the account then the customer is told to throw out the defective DVD and the replacement is shipped free.
I don't think that's entirely true. I've only once had a defective DVD from Columbia House and they made me return it to get a replacement.
Old 09-09-07, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^It depends on the discretion of the CSR and the customer's history. Also, CSRs are not supposed to do it for box sets, although I have had that happen as well.

I should have said that the CSRs are allowed to ship a replacement without a return of the defective DVD. The policy is to do this only on accounts that haven't had any previous replacements (or recent ones, in the case of older accounts).

Last I heard anyway. CH policy is always subject to change.
Old 09-09-07, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Beyond what Dane Marvin said, which is all correct, I don't have much in the way of suggestions.

Do I understand correctly that you have a CH.com account set up with user name and password? You must use a different user name for each of your Columbia House accounts.

If this is the first time you have ever tried to log-in to your CH.com account, you will need to enter your account number as your user name and your zip code as your password. But I am sure that you know this.

Dumb question, but are you sure that you are trying to log-in with the correct user name?
If you don't still have the welcome e-mail from when your ch.com account was accepted, then maybe you can wait to get an e-mail from ch.com (they are rare since there aren't any sale codes or director's selections, but they happen). You should be able to click a link from that e-mail that automatically logs you into ch.com (you are still going to need to know your correct username and password though).
Old 09-11-07, 08:57 AM

Well, I got an e-mail "Welcoming me to the club" a couple days from CH DVD which I only assumed was from CH.com. However it seems to have been mailed from the same place I received my Columbia House e-mail from but I have no idea why I'd be receiving a welcome e-mail from them. But that's the e-mail leading me to my Columbia House account.
Old 09-12-07, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can any sub 19.95 titles be used to get the 60% off deal to kick in?
Old 09-12-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Occasionally a sale offer will lower prices without the purchase of a DVD at "regular price". It would be structured as "all DVDs 60% off" or something like that (although "50% off" is more typical).

Such offers aren't useful because the sale prices are below the $19.95 required for fulfillment and the 60% off price is usually more than the average cost of DVDs on a well-optimized account.

Also, be aware that such sale offers sometimes exclude lower priced titles, such as the $14.95 ones, from the full discount.

In the case of the current 60% offer that I have, and you probably do as well, it might be possible to use a low "special" priced set to qualify for the discount. At times, special priced sets use the list price to qualify for discounts (notably for BOGOF). But I haven't experimented with it. Try some and see.
Old 09-12-07, 05:45 PM

I can't seem to close an account on-line...the e-mails are all returned. Any ideas or should I drop them a real letter? Thanks.
Old 09-12-07, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In the case of the current 60% offer that I have, and you probably do as well, it might be possible to use a low "special" priced set to qualify for the discount. At times, special priced sets use the list price to qualify for discounts (notably for BOGOF). But I haven't experimented with it. Try some and see.
Yeah, I tried a bunch of sets that were working with the b1g1 this weekend, but none work with the 60% off and free shipping. I was hoping to grab a couple of those 3.18 titles, but don't want to pay full price for a regular title. Thanks though.
Old 09-13-07, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Littleboots
I can't seem to close an account on-line...the e-mails are all returned. Any ideas or should I drop them a real letter? Thanks.
Are you using [email protected] ?
Old 09-14-07, 06:58 AM

Hey Lizard,
I'm on the "contact us" page with the drop down menu of subjects. I tried "cancel membership" and I've tried "membership obligation" wrote them a quick note and the e-mail is returned. I just hate talking (or trying to talk) to anyone on the phone. It is like you can't e-mail them for anything. If nothing else I'll send them a real letter. Thanks for this site...good stuff!
Old 09-14-07, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Lizard,
I'm on the "contact us" page with the drop down menu of subjects. I tried "cancel membership" and I've tried "membership obligation" wrote them a quick note and the e-mail is returned. I just hate talking (or trying to talk) to anyone on the phone. It is like you can't e-mail them for anything. If nothing else I'll send them a real letter. Thanks for this site...good stuff!
Membership Cancellation Information
To complete your request please call 1-800-262-2001.

just call that number and cancel via phone. it takes 5 minutes.
Old 09-14-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
Membership Cancellation Information
To complete your request please call 1-800-262-2001.

just call that number and cancel via phone. it takes 5 minutes.
Yes, that's the way I always do it. Once I select "cancel" from the menu tree I usually get to a CSR who then tries to convince me to keep the membership. I short-circuit this pitch by telling him or her that I have another account and only need one. That ends the conversation.
Hey Lizard,
The reason I mentioned the [email protected] address is that if you just send them an e-mail with your name, account number, the fact that you have completed your membership commitment, and a request to cancel the account, you should have your account canceled in short order. Others often do it this way.

The problem with canceling via the website has existed for some time. There is another way to cancel via the website but I don't remember what it is because I never do it that way. I had hoped that others would weigh in on that subject. Nevertheless, if you just send Columbia House an e-mail to the address above, that should take care of it.
Old 09-14-07, 02:25 PM

Hey Guys,
Went to the "help" at the top of the welcome page and one of the questions was about cancelling a membership. Clicked on that and chose "completed my commitment" and submitted it....and it went through and said it will take 24-48 hours. If it works this is really easy!
Thanks Again all.
Littleboots
Old 09-15-07, 02:13 AM

I like the "Reason for Cancelling" choices they give.
  • Don't like returning cards
  • Moving out of the US
  • Member Deceased
  • Prices too high
  • Completed my commitment
  • Other reasons

I wonder how often "Member Deceased" is selected.
Old 09-15-07, 10:58 PM

When did the shipping amount get so bloody insane for sets? I am so turned off from columbia house with these shipping prices.
Old 09-16-07, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by taronga
I like the "Reason for Cancelling" choices they give.
  • Don't like returning cards
  • Moving out of the US
  • Member Deceased
  • Prices too high
  • Completed my commitment
  • Other reasons

I wonder how often "Member Deceased" is selected.
"Member deceased" has been used before. If I remember correctly, those who tried it had trouble opening new accounts after that...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.