Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

Has anyone applied within the last seven days?

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Has anyone applied within the last seven days?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-07, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After four different applications the last few weeks, all with different sets of movies, it appears I finally got a second account open. The one that got accepted was done online on 3/18 with code C89.
Old 04-06-07, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey the acceptance rate over the phone is ALOT higher over the phone because i applied online a good 4 times and i received no welcome. While on the firsttime i phoned in one i got in this is my fourth account.
Old 04-06-07, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by awlez18
Hey the acceptance rate over the phone is ALOT higher over the phone because i applied online a good 4 times and i received no welcome. While on the firsttime i phoned in one i got in this is my fourth account.
This is one of the few things at CH that we know for certain (that, and if we work it right we can get our DVDs there a whole lot cheaper than anywhere else)
Old 04-07-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ It is possible to have an application rejected over the phone however. I had it happen last Summer. Nevertheless, I see many more reports of success over the phone than failure. Unlike on-line applications, most of which seem to get "lost" for most of us here.

FAQ: "I applied x number of times and can't seem to get an account open. What gives?"

A1:
It is routine to have on-line applications "lost" or rejected once one has had more than a couple of accounts. Have you tried applying over the phone?

Reply: "No, I prefer on-line applications because (insert reason here)."

A2: Ok, suit yourself. But phone applications have a much higher success rate, for unknown reasons.

FAQ: "I submitted an application on (date). How long should I wait before applying again?"

A: You probably should wait for at least two weeks; it would help if you applied again with different titles in case your first application does eventually get approved, while rare, it happens. Did you use a code that required a credit card? If so, you can track when a charge hits your card.

Repy: "No, I don't like to use credit cards because (insert reason here)."

(and so forth...)
Old 04-07-07, 01:13 PM

Hey has anyone been able to successfully have a second open account. If so would it matter if the first one is unfulfilled.
Old 04-07-07, 01:51 PM

^ I was just accepted for a second account while having a first (fulfilled) account still active. I then requested that the first account be cancelled via email (which always works and takes 1 - 2 days for them to confirm).

Also, as Lizard suggested above, I have also had at least one phone app rejected but rarely have web apps accepted. We went through a period last year (~July through September) when web apps were being successful however that isn't the case currently. For members in good standing, the single best thing you can do to gain acceptance is to use the phone versus web for new account applications.

While on that note, one thing that has guaranteed failure for me is to have an outstanding balance on another open account. This will happen if you receive a defective DVD and they ask you to send it back to them. They'll ship another one and place a balance due on your account (without actually billing you) while they wait for your return to be logged into their system (which rarely happens without phone or email follow-up) which can take literally weeks or months.

Last edited by viking99; 04-07-07 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-08-07, 07:27 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Finally got that all elusive second account successfully opened yesterday. I applied online using the EBP code on April 5th, saw the "pending" charge on my debit card that night and then got the "Welcome to the club" email on the 8th.

It didn't have my strongest selections, but I'm happy nonetheless. Although for some strange reason the first DVD I chose they appeared to have charged me the $9.95 price for (which is fine), but it's making me wonder if it'll be in the enrollment package since it is still under pending. I guess I'll wait til the package arrives.

Now I'm off to hunt for some freebie codes
Old 04-09-07, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
After four different applications the last few weeks, all with different sets of movies, it appears I finally got a second account open. The one that got accepted was done online on 3/18 with code C89.
Alright, now I don't know what the hell Columbia House is doing. I just got an email informing me that a set of movies has shipped, but not the set I was expecting. They've either made a mistake someplace, or I somehow have 3 accounts open. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what actually shows up at my door.
Old 04-09-07, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Smash - Did they by chance send you mine? I have one account open but two applications for a second account pending. Wondering if they'll accept me for a second one...
Old 04-09-07, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Keep trying. I put in 4 applications over a couple weeks and now I have at least one enrollment package coming.

I really wish I could figure out what they've done. Is it possible they've messed up the $9.95 title in my order history? When I log into the account that got the welcome to the club email it shows Memoirs of a Geisha as the $9.95 title. The shipping email I got the set of movies is the one that should have Batman Forever as the $9.95 title. Now both sets do include Memoirs of a Geisha, so maybe they just mixed up the one that should have been $9.95?

Really I hope the shipping email is the set that shows up, it's a far superior set of movies. Of course, if by some miracle they've messed up and given me three accounts open at once I sure won't complain. I can handle a duplicate copy of Memoirs of a Geisha.
Old 04-10-07, 07:23 AM

same thing happened to me. I've been putting in a couple of enrollments overt he past month and finally got one approved last week using EBP.

I kept track of all of the enrollment orders so as not to duplicate and on the one that appears to have been successful I had 'Bringing Up Baby' as the $9.95 title. However, after opening the email and changing log info to check the order I have a title under "Pending" which is 'Flyboys' which is one of the DVD's I chose for 49c. It could be they just switched the order around, which if that's the case that's fine.

I should get the package today, but am working all day and into the night so won't be able to post my findings until later on.
Old 04-10-07, 08:44 PM

^^ new twist to my above post.

It appears that I have had 2 new accounts approved and opened despite already having one pre-existing account open.

The information above was based on the "welcome to the club" email I received after a web application. It comes complete with an account number etc. However, I have yet to receive that package even though it has been mailed; I expect I'll get it in the next couple of days.

However, the one that I received today was actually one that I had replied to the "we want you back" letters with the not-so-good offer of 6 for 49c, one at $14.95 and then 3 to buy. It was one I sent back because I was getting frustrated with all my (or so I thought) failed web applications.

Here's what I pulled in with this order:

1) Batman
2) Batman Returns
3) Batman Forever
4) Batman & Robin
5) The Matador
6) Snakes On A Plane
7) Cache
Old 04-12-07, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got an enrollment package today. It included the set of movies the shipping email had listed. The invoice in the package showed Memoirs Of A Geisha as my $9.95 title. Apparently the problem was they changed the $9.95 title for some reason. No more relying on that to track which enrollments work. Anyway, here's what I got...

Batman Forever
Canadian Bacon
The Lost Boys
The Machinist
Memoirs Of A Geisha
Network
To Kill A Mockingbird
Old 04-12-07, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got my congrats email today. 1KJ was the FASTEST code I've ever used, I had a response in 2 days!
Old 04-12-07, 11:09 PM

I applied online using EBP on Tuesday and got the Welcome to the club e-mail today. I had a couple of C7L apps go missing in the last month so I tried a different code.
Old 04-14-07, 11:23 AM

You should be careful entering duplicate titles in opening up enrollment accounts, even if they are months apart. I enrolled several months back but did not get any replies. So I again enrolled a few weeks ago, with 3 duplicate titles and 4 new ones, since I've purchased some of the dvds in old enrollment request.
Well, they approved the new request, with the new dvds I've ordered even listed in the confirmation email. But then I get a email for items that they've shipped, and lo and behold, the titles are for the old enrollment! I've asked them how to fix these, but was informed that you can only cancel one enrollment title, even though the four wrong dvd titles shipped was a mistake on their part! So only choice is to return the full set - effectively cancelling your membership, and then re-enroll again!
Old 04-14-07, 12:11 PM

that's true. It's hard sometimes to know how long to wait because you assume that previou applicatiosnwere "lost". I applied a while ago with one account and then again via snail mail. Both included 'The Matador' which subsequently I got from both accounts when they opened.
Old 04-17-07, 07:02 AM

yet another twist to post #140...it's raining dvd's at my house apparantly.

After numerous unsuccessful attempts at opening an account online for a month finally got a second one open via the EBP code. Anyway, during my frustrations I replied to the "we want you back" mailings via snail mail just on the off chance that something might happen.

Well, I did get one of thoseopened successfully and received them last week. Well, lo & behold when I get home yesterday what's waiting for me on the front porch, but yet another package from CH complete with an order I had sent a mailing back for with some "hit or miss" titles. That mean 3accounts opened in the last week on top of the 4th I already had open anyway.

From this order I picked up...

1) Fast & the Furious 3: Tokyo Drift
2) New Jack City SE
3) Bad News Bears (2005)
4) Platoon 29th anniversary
5) Thumbsucker
6) United States of Leland
7) The Staircase

The offer was 6 @ 0.49c, 1 fpr $9.95 and then 3 to buy. It might not be the best offer, but given that the BOGO codes have been popping up recently, it's definitely not the worst; especially since there is also the $19.95 box set sale with free s&h now.

I guess what I'm also trying to get at is for those that are trying to get a second account open, it might not hurt to reply to the snail mailings and still keep trying online - one of them will get approved I'm sure.

Even though I have 4 accounts open I'm not worried about been black listed. I've had enough accounts open since joining this forum that I don't see it been a problem. It's not my fault they keep approving me for accounts and I'm certainly not complaining.
Old 04-17-07, 02:03 PM

i replied to a want you back email with buy 6 for .49 , 1 fr 10 and only 2 more to buy. I applied on 4/16 and got accepted on 4/17. I cant believe they got me processed so quickly
Old 04-17-07, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DVDMagic
I guess what I'm also trying to get at is for those that are trying to get a second account open, it might not hurt to reply to the snail mailings and still keep trying online - one of them will get approved I'm sure.
Um, why not call?

I don't understand why lots of you keep trying over and over on the web with no success when you can just call and the acceptance rate is much, much higher.

Use EBP, I opened another account with it last week.

If you want to torture yourselves, please continue. Not even trying the phone route is just crazy though, at least try it once!
Old 04-17-07, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
I just got accepted with an internet application that I put in on Friday. This is two acceptances in a row. The first application was done by phone and the second was a net app.
Old 04-17-07, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by basaro
Um, why not call?

I don't understand why lots of you keep trying over and over on the web with no success when you can just call and the acceptance rate is much, much higher.

Use EBP, I opened another account with it last week.

If you want to torture yourselves, please continue. Not even trying the phone route is just crazy though, at least try it once!
I just prefer the online method because I'm forever changing my selections. Plus, I really can't be bothered to talk to any of the CSR's.
Old 04-18-07, 08:23 AM

After about 2 months of not having success with online applications, I finally got one through using the C89 code.

I agree. I hate dealing with CSRs and prefer the online route best. Let's hope this keeps working.
Old 04-24-07, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I applied on April 18, using the 1KJ code and supplying a credit card. I just got the "Welcome to the Club!" email.
Old 04-24-07, 04:46 PM

Just tried using C89.

Failed with two attempts last month...let's see if this goes through! First time I have applied where I am able to enter a credit card on the next screen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.