Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here.

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-06, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My debit card was charged $12.89 twice for my recent application. Both charges are still pending. Will the second just not go through and the 12.89 be returned to my account or should I call CH and get this reversed?
Old 07-17-06, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oloz_sa
My debit card was charged $12.89 twice for my recent application. Both charges are still pending. Will the second just not go through and the 12.89 be returned to my account or should I call CH and get this reversed?
This is quite common. One charge will go through and the other will drop in about a week.
Old 07-17-06, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
This is quite common. One charge will go through and the other will drop in about a week.
Thanks for clearing that up for me
Old 07-21-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently made an order, but now I want to cancel it. I emailed them about it and they said they could not cancel it but I could just refuse the package. If I do that, do I get the whole charge back or just the price of the dvds?
Old 07-21-06, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^Typically, you get the whole order price back, including shipping, if any, if it is a result of a mistake by CH. Since your return is by your choice I am not sure that you will get the shipping credited back.

I suggest that you ask them the question by e-mail.

Last edited by lizard; 07-21-06 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-24-06, 10:50 AM

I'm a CH vet, but this kind of a newbie question maybe somebody can answer.

I applied online last week becuase all the good codes seemed to have dried up. The temp charge showed on my statement, and has been 'pending' for several days (like it used to on my numerous "lost" applications before I switched to exclusively phone apps). But today there is another charge for the same amount, that also has a 'pending' status (though that's the way almost all CC charges start out in my online statement).

Anyway, should I take this as a good or bad sign? It's been a long time since I applied online, but as I remember there was no secondary charge like that (if approved, the original charge just went through) . Has anyone else been approved online recently that remembers this happening? No biggie, but just thought I'd ask.
Old 07-24-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by legend42
I'm a CH vet, but this kind of a newbie question maybe somebody can answer.

I applied online last week becuase all the good codes seemed to have dried up. The temp charge showed on my statement, and has been 'pending' for several days (like it used to on my numerous "lost" applications before I switched to exclusively phone apps). But today there is another charge for the same amount, that also has a 'pending' status (though that's the way almost all CC charges start out in my online statement).

Anyway, should I take this as a good or bad sign? It's been a long time since I applied online, but as I remember there was no secondary charge like that (if approved, the original charge just went through) . Has anyone else been approved online recently that remembers this happening? No biggie, but just thought I'd ask.
It's a good sign. Whenever I apply online, CH puts a temporary hold for $12.89 right away[sometimes they will also put a hold for $1 on my card]. Then they'll put a second hold of $12.89 on my card. Eventually one of the $12.89 holds goes through and the second $12.89[and the $1] hold gets dropped after a week or two.
Old 07-24-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^I consider a second charge to be a sign that the application is being processed. I'd view it as good news and would expect to see a real charge in a day or two.
Old 07-24-06, 11:29 AM

Thanks guys. That's what I was hoping.
Old 08-04-06, 10:20 PM
Cool New Member

Regarding changing the number of DVDs in your cart which are eligible for fulfillment—is there a trick to this? I was using the current B1G1F coupon as well as the automatic B4G1F+50% off sale, and was able to find the link to change the number, but the actual number of full price discs in my cart never changed. I recall that this has been a problem, but I do not remember if there was a workaround.

(This is really for next time, since I've already placed the four orders necessary to fulfill my two open accounts, and the prices were not bad enough to make me complain. ^_^ It also removed twenty discs from my CH wanted list, which is a good thing.)
Old 08-05-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When one has an unfulfilled account, there is a box at the lower right in the cart that allows one to change the number of titles that appear at full price. Clicking on the link opens up a dialog box that allows one to "choose how many" count for fulfillment.

At times this process has been glitchy, but usually it works ok.
Old 08-05-06, 01:31 PM

I had an account with Columbia House Canada for years. No problems.
Has $140.00 Star Dollars on it too.

Last week I got a call about a special offer for members (at least that was what I interpreted it to be). Take 1 movie on the phone, and then they would send you a list that you took 4 more from for a total of $7.49 (I think that was the amout). Then you had to buy 2 more over the next (can't recall the time frame. So I said sure.

Then all of a sudden my account was cancelled. ????? I found out when I tried to log-in the the website to see what was new, etc... I said what the heck. I e-mailed their customer service and was told is was cancelled, I asked why as I did not cancel it. No reply

Then I got, on Friday, a package in the mail. 1 DVD, bunch of literature, and a bill for $48.00. Huh!

After looking at it more closely it seems they cancelled my old account and then issued me a new one from scratch.

Well I thought that's not going to fly so I just mailed the whole thing back to them today. Which costs me money btw. I said I don't want a second membership as I already have one.

I guess I will wait and see what happens now but I am posting this just in case anyone else gets the same offer. Make sure what they are offering before you say yes or no.

James
Old 08-05-06, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The telephone solicitors rarely if ever offer good deals. And, yes, the offers are for new accounts but they are crappy deals compared to the best ones we discuss here. I deal with it by never giving Columbia House my real phone number.

A CSR can re-open an old account if you wish.
Old 08-06-06, 04:38 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by lizard
When one has an unfulfilled account, there is a box at the lower right in the cart that allows one to change the number of titles that appear at full price. Clicking on the link opens up a dialog box that allows one to "choose how many" count for fulfillment.

At times this process has been glitchy, but usually it works ok.
That's exactly what I did, but it did not work—it was glitchy this, it seems. :-/
Old 08-06-06, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Yes, the "choose how many" is glitchy at times. But often the problem is that the customer doesn't realize that the reason they get only one choice of "one" at full price is that this is the correct option. This is because there is already one at full price in the cart so adding one more fulfills the account (if two fulfillments are required, as is usually the case around here).

Not saying that this is your problem, but this question has come up a lot:

Q: "How come it won't let me pick TWO?"

A: "Because you already have one at full price and only need ONE more to fulfill."
Old 08-10-06, 12:40 PM

Is anyone here a member of CH.com? I've have a few accounts with columbia house but just heard about ch.com, it sounds pretty good but do they really have that many better deals than other places. Is it worth it?
Old 08-10-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^I have a CH.com account that I have never used since buying the required fulfillment. While CH.com has free shipping on everything and 40% off on all DVDs, it rarely, if ever, has any other sales (like B1G1F).

In general, one can get DVDs for lower prices at the regular club by buying DVDs as a package and using sale offers.

The selling point of CH.com is simplicity and convenience (no Director's Selections to decline, for example). But it isn't cheaper than the regular club.
Old 08-11-06, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just used the bulk of my "Fun Cash" and wondered how long I can wait before I close up shop. I wanted to open another account soon, so I'd need to close this one (already have another one open). Do I have to wait until I've received the order or can I close it now?
Old 08-11-06, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
I just used the bulk of my "Fun Cash" and wondered how long I can wait before I close up shop. I wanted to open another account soon, so I'd need to close this one (already have another one open). Do I have to wait until I've received the order or can I close it now?
Usually it is safe to close an account once you've fulfilled your account and received those fulfillments. And as long as you have your order confirmation and shipping notice email for your funcash order you could close the account, but it would be best to keep it open until you've received everything. That way there won't be any problems looking things up in case your order arrives damaged, you get the wrong discs or you never receive your order.
Old 08-11-06, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do they still have "phone only" enrollment titles? If so, where is the most recent list of titles?
Old 08-11-06, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since I have fullfilled my membership, I'm now just goofing off looking for other deals to be had, and, ummm, is it just me or is this deal just unreal?

War of the Worlds Limited Edition and V for Vendetta Special Edition for only $19.65/shipped!

The cheapest online price for the WotW LE is $28.39/shipped at Overstock and the cheapest online price for the VFV SE is $21.21/shipped, from Overstock also.

How in the world can CH offer both, together, for less than the price of one of them anywhere else?
Old 08-11-06, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Since I have fullfilled my membership, I'm now just goofing off looking for other deals to be had, and, ummm, is it just me or is this deal just unreal?

War of the Worlds Limited Edition and V for Vendetta Special Edition for only $19.65/shipped!

The cheapest online price for the WotW LE is $28.39/shipped at Overstock and the cheapest online price for the VFV SE is $21.21/shipped, from Overstock also.

How in the world can CH offer both, together, for less than the price of one of them anywhere else?
Where are you seeing that? On my fulfilled account (over 3 years old) they are only offered separate for $24.95/$14.97 (reg/sale) each. I already got them both free as part of bogo deals, but even with a bogo deal and free shipping they would be $24.95 total on my account.
Old 08-11-06, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here is how it is in my account:

War of the Worlds Limited Edition

List Price $39.99 Regular Club Price $24.95

Sale Price $18.71 no other purchase necessary
(You save $21.28 Off List Price)

and then

V for Vendetta Special Edition

List Price $30.97 Regular Club Price $24.95

Sale Price $16.22 with a regular price purchase
(You save $14.75 Off List Price)

When I add both of them to my cart, I get the price for WotW LE, and VFV SE comes up as free using the BOGO code. Add in free shipping, and the total for both ends up being $19.xx after tax.
Old 08-11-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm seeing it too! Rather than go hunting for a BOGO code, I just went to an old e-mail from 7/21 "Secret Sale" (BOGO) and it's still active along with the current FREE shipping offer. I clicked thru from that e-mail.

I added WotW first then VfV -- that gave me a bigger total than you got. I removed the VfV and then added it after WotW is already in the cart. It lowers the price considerably.

CH collects sales tax in my state and I have both in cart + tax for $20.25.

I wonder if they will honor it.
Old 08-11-06, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmm...just CH's inconsistency at work I guess. That's always guaranteed
I tried it out with 808966 and I got it to be $24.95...oh well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.