Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

Ideas for enrollment selections?

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Old 05-22-06, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the other 'lost' enrollment threads have been successfully revived, I thought it might be a good idea to also re-ignite the "What did you get for your enrollment" discussion, which was always fun to browse and good for ideas when opening a new account.

I'll start by recommending the 2-disc volumes of the fantastic Harold Lloyd Collection (all 3 are available as enrollments). If you're any kind of fan of silent film, these are a must-have, and if you're looking to get into the silents, Lloyd might be an even better initiation than Chaplin or Keaton; his films zip along, and his stunts and setpieces are truly astounding.

The lowest online price for the 7-disc set is $63, which you can basically get for $15-$18, minus the box and the 7th bonus disc (which has extras, but each volume has its own extensive set of extra features also). So if you're not an anal completist and just want many many hours of great moviemaking and entertainment, you really can't beat the value here. The individual films of the Chaplin Collection are also great enrollment selections of course, but I figure most people already knew about those.

Please add any suggestions, or re-post your favorite enrollments from the old thread.
Old 05-22-06, 04:32 PM

I'm about to join again, and I'd appreciate suggestions for "high value" enrollments -- for example the old Special Edition of Lawrence of Arabia, a phone-only enrollment as I recall, which used to be very expensive elsewhere, and quite expensive as a fulfillment selection. Today, many of the Cirque du Soleil discs are expensive to buy elsewhere, even used. And it is better to order the more expensive (i.e. > $19.95) selections for enrollment, rather than fulfillment. I have two Cirque shows on DVD, and I plan to order two more next time.

What are the other great enrollment selections?
Old 05-22-06, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by ericjanderson
I'm about to join again, and I'd appreciate suggestions for "high value" enrollments -- for example the old Special Edition of Lawrence of Arabia, a phone-only enrollment as I recall, which used to be very expensive elsewhere, and quite expensive as a fulfillment selection.
They discontinued the enrollment eligibility of a lot of the more expensive titles (that were $34.95 list price) awhile back- like those British TV and A&E miniseries sets, the extended Underworld, 3-disc Mystic River, etc. Now, about the best you can do are titles that actually sell for $20-25 elsewhere: some of the Warner SEs, the Lloyd volumes I mentioned, a lot of the Columbia/TriStar catalog titles, and some other random ones.

I used to worry about "maximizing" my value at CH (as compared to what I'd pay elsewhere) but I ended up putting a lot of movies I really wanted on hold, and getting titles I don't like as much just because they were a better "value". Now, my general rule is anything that'll cost me more than $9 elsewhere is good enough to use an enrollment on.
Old 05-23-06, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by legend42
I used to worry about "maximizing" my value at CH (as compared to what I'd pay elsewhere) but I ended up putting a lot of movies I really wanted on hold, and getting titles I don't like as much just because they were a better "value". Now, my general rule is anything that'll cost me more than $9 elsewhere is good enough to use an enrollment on.
Well, I really wanted Lawrence SE when I ordered it (I sold it since then, and bought the Superbit), as well as the British miniseries sets like Traffik. So it is disappointing the good deals like that are gone.
Old 05-23-06, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by ericjanderson
Well, I really wanted Lawrence SE when I ordered it (I sold it since then, and bought the Superbit), as well as the British miniseries sets like Traffik. So it is disappointing the good deals like that are gone.
Yup, it is. The best way to get those through CH now is as the free selection in a B1G1 deal when you buy a $35+ box set.