Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

A review of the offers at freedvds.com, etc.

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

A review of the offers at freedvds.com, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-03, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to know from others what the longest amount of time is that you've had to wait for an email reply from Freedvds.com?? I emailed them about 2 offers I haven't been credited for a few days ago and still haven't heard anything. Before this, they were responding that same day to my emails.

xpfshost
Old 11-19-03, 09:12 AM

I have been getting very prompt replies to my emails, usually by the next day. I have also done both NYT and Stamps.com and gotten credit. Stamps.com was the same day I believe, and NYT about 3 days.

Columbiahouse, though seems to have a backlog on confirming orders to Freedvd4me. As it has been over a week since I signed up, and when I inquired w/ FD4M they said to give it a couple more weeks then forward the confirm email if I didn't get the points yet.
Old 11-19-03, 11:35 AM

evitagen: Argh!! Those were the 2 deals that I haven't been credited for yet!! I still haven't had a reply to my email. I was hoping to pre-order one of the James Bond sets...now it's been released and I'll have to wait a week or more to get the last one from them. Let me know if you hear anything. Thanks.

xpfshost

Last edited by xpfshost; 11-19-03 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-19-03, 01:20 PM

validation questions

anyone have a list of the answers to the offers that have validation questions? we should start a list!
Old 11-19-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Let's not, because this thread is about maximizing the opportunities available at these sites, not commiting fraud.
Old 11-19-03, 03:43 PM

What is the longest time anyone has waited to get credited for points without emailing them? I know in their FAQ it says it can take up to 3 weeks but is that normal? I am waiting to be credited for 4 offers I completed over a week ago. I'm afraid they will put my account on hold if I ask them to do it manually.

Originally posted by msdmoney

Also had trouble getting credited with the Good Cook instant points, anyone else have problems with this recently? Emailed with my order confirmation, I will update the outcome later.
I had trouble with the Good Cook. I signed up for it last Sunday but my instant points never credited. I forwarded them the confirmation email 4 or 5 days later but they credited me for the wrong offer which was 50 points less. I'm going to forward my email again so they will credit me with the right thing and hopefully I'll keep the extra 300.
Old 11-19-03, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by evitagen
Let's not, because this thread is about maximizing the opportunities available at these sites, not commiting fraud.
so signing up for these offers and then cancelling them 10 minutes later to fool a company into giving you something for nothing isn't fraud?
Old 11-19-03, 06:39 PM

No, because it is in the terms they set.
Old 11-19-03, 07:32 PM

Well, it's been quite a day. First, I finally got 2 emails from Freedvds.com. One said that I should've been credited for NYTimes by now and send them the confirmation email. Cool. The other email said that they're having problems with Stamps.com crediting to people's accounts and to allow 5 extra days for it to hit. Also cool.

To top it off, I tried 4 new offers today:

mp3stealth
clever clubhouse
netmarket
complete home

Get this...EACH ONE CREDITED TO MY ACCOUNT IN ABOUT 60 SECONDS OF COMPLETING IT! That is a record with me. It's amazing because some of the offers said to allow up to a week to be credited! Awesome.

xpfshost
Old 11-19-03, 09:15 PM
Cool New Member

Hi,

I just got my stamps.com kit. This is another pretty cool service. They give you $25 worth of free postage and they send you the scale to weigh and the stamps. All you have to do is send the scale back after you cancle. This comes in handy when you list a bunch of items on e-bay.

Linefinder
Old 11-20-03, 06:49 AM

In regards to the stamps.com offer. Where does it say that you have to return the scale if you cancel your trial membership? Also, where do you mail the scale back to? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-20-03, 10:50 AM

I was going to sign up for the Children's book club, but when I went to checkout they wanted to charge me $15 in shipping costs! There wasn't an option to bill me later either. Do you guys see these high shipping costs too? I didn't want to risk having to pay $17.xx for only 350 points so I didn't complete the offer. Can anyone give any comments about whether they had to pay a shipping charge or not?

Also I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on any of these offers:
LowerMyBills
Real Estate Treasure
Curb Your Cravings
The American Dream
Flawless Effect
Clever Clubhouse
Complete Home
If you have done any of these offers, please include your experiences and cancellation info.

Just so this message will add something to the thread....
I have heard a lot of people complain about the annoyances of cancelling with AOL. I just got done cancelling and it went fairly easy. I told the CSR a story that I tried installing their software, and when I did, I got a bunch of BSODs. When I rebooted, I couldn't get my operating system to load, and I had to send it in to a computer shop to be repaired. The CSR was very understanding about me wanting to cancel after that

Last edited by tknaught; 11-20-03 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-20-03, 11:15 AM
Cool New Member

tknaught,

There is no 'Bill Me Later' option. All I can say is, I did that offer and follow hints from previous post. I went into my account about 20 minutes later and cancel my order completely. I also deleted my credit card information from the site. I got points for it and so far I haven't been charged on my credit card yet. I did this offer about a week ago.
Old 11-20-03, 11:26 AM

tknaught,
the book club offers may be cracking down a little.
The method newbie2003 is referring still ensures that while your card may get charged, it will definitely get credited back.
BUT, the points may or may not credit.

I did about 10 book clubs at PFS and about 8 were credited.
But at FreeDVD4Me, I did 2 of them for a bonus DVD and nothing ever came of it.

So long story short, book clubs seem to have become iffy deals, though there's still no real chance of losing any $$$.

Also, of the offers you listed, I've done:
- Curb Your Cravings (email cancel)
- Clever Clubhouse (phone cancel)
- Complete Home (phone cancel)
They all went smoothly and were easy enough to cancel.
I decided to stay away from all the other offers on your list cuz they seem shady/risky.
Old 11-20-03, 11:55 AM
Cool New Member

squi23,

On the Curb Your Cravings Offer, didn't they charge a $5.95 S&H? That's a bit high for just 280 points. Is there a way you do it where you didn't have to pay that charge?
Old 11-20-03, 12:23 PM

lxjenkins: I did Stamps.com once last year and found it to be a headache. I just did the offer on Freedvds.com and can't get to their faq page anymore, but you do have to return the scale if you cancel. This time, I'm not opening the scale and I'll just RTS the package when it arrives. I think last time I had to pay s/h to return it since I had used it. I believe that when you call to cancel, they tell you where to send it back to. Their cancel # is 888-434-0055. They could probably give you more accurate/current info on the return/cancel process.

xpfshost
Old 11-20-03, 07:30 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

I just completed the dealpass offers and earned enough points for the PS2 at freevideogames.com. Can anyone give me an estimate about how long it should take before I receive it?

I can also add that all the trimlife offers are very easy to cancel. Actually, I never received any welcome emails from the site, so I emailed customer support, and they were glad to cancel all three of my trial memberships. It only took one email, and I didn't have to call the customer service line.
Old 11-20-03, 08:33 PM

I did Privacy Plus and one Trimlife tonight. I passed on Clear Credit since it said you had to mail them a written cancellation. I went onto the Trimlife website tonite to cancel and after navigating thier 'contact us' section and choosing the 'cancel my autoship program', got the following message:

"Due to account security purposes, we are no longer accepting cancellation via email.

Please call 1-888-829-2430, and one of our representatives will process your request."

xpfshost
Old 11-20-03, 10:41 PM
Cool New Member

tknaught,

Regarding all the Trimlife offers, how many exactly did you do? At Freedvds.com, it seems some of them are kind of expensive for the points.
Old 11-21-03, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is Privacy Plus easy to cancel. It says you have to call to cancel, were the salespeople pushy like Bargain.com?
Old 11-21-03, 12:54 AM

msdmoney: I called tonite to cancel, but they were closed. I'd guess most places that require you to call to cancel will try to 'pursuade' you not to. I treat all phone cancellations as a battle as a rule! If I get a nice person who cancels me with no problems, it's a gift. I called Netmarket to cancel and the not-so-nice girl on the other end said I'd have to wait until I got my member number (probably being sent with my welcome packet in the mail) before they could cancel me...which she said would take 7-10 days. Good thing I keep good records...

xpfshost
Old 11-21-03, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by msdmoney
Is Privacy Plus easy to cancel. It says you have to call to cancel, were the salespeople pushy like Bargain.com?
They are always pushy at Dealpass, but just get used to saying "no thanks" over and over again and you'll get through it. I just cancelled my trial membership with them last night and they had some message about it being a longer wait than usual due to an upgrade to their system, so be prepared for that if they don't resolve it soon. It did take forever and a day to actually get off hold and they did the usual script where you reply "no thanks" like three or four times and then they cancelled me.

I'm getting kind of old hat at these Dealpass offers. Must have done them all on both FreeDVDs and FreeDVD4me. Too bad I've run out of them. They were always so easy to do, but they have blocked both my debit card and my PayPal card for now because I probably did them too many times, so it will be some time for me before I can do them again elsewhere I guess.

With the (unusual by experiences around here) great service I have gotten from YourFreeDVDs I might have to try to do more offers with them since FreeDVDs put my account on hold and FreeDVD4Me is drying up for me. Got to find a way to get FreeDVDs off hold, but it's probably hopeless.
Old 11-21-03, 11:39 AM

Unlike most, I have never been hastled cancelling any of my dealpass offers. I find that if you say, "I'd like to cancel because I'm leaving the country soon." They'll cancel for you immediately, no hastling or anything. Give it a shot, it'll work.
Old 11-22-03, 09:27 PM

Bargain.com has an automated cancellation process now, so no need to talk to any salespeople.
Old 11-22-03, 10:35 PM

Two new offers on Freedvds.com:

Traveler's Advantage (250 points)
Event Priveleges (200 points)

Both $1 trials. One thing though...it wouldn't let me use the same credit card at both places. Their billing seems to be handled by the same company.

xpfshost

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.