Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-17, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
I believe I've mentioned this before, but if anyone still wonders what happened to Big Lots great selection of $3 dvd's (especially classic Warner):

I get the bi-weekly oldies.com emails. All the same cool titles BL used to get at $3 are now at oldies from $4-$12. This has been the case for quite awhile.

I wish I could have gotten those prices when I was a dvd retailer. I have no clue how Oldies does it.
M4, it's very simple to explain how Oldies does it....people are stupid!
I see it on ebay all the time...and I bet you did to...
I'll find some old film, say...Dames (1934) and I AM making these numbers up, but I have seen this with older WB titles...I go to completed items to see the average prices to see what might be a good starting price...I see Dames at 3.99, 2.99, 4.99...and not selling...so it's not even worth me putting it up, stick it aside to check back again in 6 months or a year. Then, scrolling down the listings, I see that the very same film, DVD release, etc. sold for $19.99! I look at who is selling it, and it's fill in the blank megastore with 100,000 + titles up at any one time...they are a real store to many folks, someone that's safe to buy from ( I mentioned years ago selling on ebay to a nurse in her 50's, and she basically thought most everything on ebay was stolen merchandise!!!!) and bookmarked said seller years ago....
I am guessing the same thing with oldies, people have bought from them for years, or find them via the web...and people feel better paying full price, or damn near it, than from someone that sells "stolen" stuff on ebay

Last edited by berigan; 02-22-17 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-08-17, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

I don't know if this means anything in the scheme of things.........

The city I live in has had 3 Big Lots for a decade.

Recently, the Bridgeport store closed.

The Pearl Street store is temporally closed, while they're moving into a larger location, 2 doors down (They're taking over the space of a full sized grocery store). As of a few days ago, there was no reopening date posted, though reconstruction has definitely began on the new location.

The 72nd store (basically in the ghetto) is currently the only BL open here.
Old 03-08-17, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow.

Read earlier that Target is having serious money woes.
Old 03-09-17, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Many Wall Street analysts believe Big Lots over expanded the past decade. Larger retail chains these days are more willing to pull the plug on a slow location because commercial real estate is relatively cheap with all the empty retail space laying around.
Old 03-09-17, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

We lost at least 3 Big Lots stores in the past few years.
Old 03-10-17, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The other odd thing is I'm on very good terms with the manager at the BL they're expanding. 2 years ago, it was very close to shutting down permanently. That's a pretty major change of corporate attitude!
Old 03-15-17, 11:53 PM

Got a new one coming near where I work- Wilson Mills Rd. in Mayfield, Ohio. A former Dick's, should be a good location for them.
Old 04-01-17, 02:11 PM

If anyone is interested in what is happening to brick and mortar stores ,especially indoor malls you tube search 'DEAD MALLS'. It seems internet/online shopping is closing a lot of indoor malls.
Old 04-01-17, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pretty much any brick and mortar chain that isn't food/clothes/hair salon/shoes is barely surviving these days. Millennials do all their retail shopping through the Internet.

I have no idea what malls will look like in ten years.
Old 04-02-17, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

20% off sale today at Big Lots. I actually saw some new catalog WB DVDs I hadn't seen before, including TCM fourpacks.
Old 04-03-17, 05:21 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

At the Shenango Valley Mall in Hermitage PA, Sears, Macy's, and FYE are all closing up shop, probably more to follow. That mall will effectively be dead very soon. Used to like to drive to Hermitage, catch lunch at the KFC buffet (only one left in this entire area), visit the Hermitage Walmart (better that what we have around here), FYE (almost always found something to buy there), my wife had her little collection of places she liked to visit. But with that mall gone, there is very little reason now to make the drive to Hermitage.

I haven't seen anything worthwhile at any of our Biglots in quite awhile. It's sad what BL has become vs. what they used to be.
Old 04-03-17, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

While we still have a BL here (Sears and K-Mart closed up shop in the past 6 mo.) it's gotten so bad that I now rarely look at the media racks. Where once I was going in at least once per week and almost always scoring a title or three it's now once or twice per month, usually only when I get a $5 Off $20 coupon, and the "haul" is mostly grocery/snack/paper items. With the 20% F&F sale this weekend I didn't even look at the media racks and just did a bit of pantry restock.
Old 04-03-17, 06:52 PM

Any good TCMs, Phantom?
Old 04-04-17, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by js2shops
Any good TCMs, Phantom?
Wish I would have read this thread over the weekend. These days, I mostly go to BL once in a while for food (& they're more expensive than grocery stores on some things) & paper products.
Old 04-21-17, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The new Big Lots "superstore" on Pearl Street (Tacoma, WA) is open. They took over a former Albertson's Grocery Store. It looks VERY nice, but..............

They didn't seem to have much more product than any other BL; it was just more spread out & more attractive as a result.

No blu-rays & very few dvd's (I did not go to the grand opening, so their MAY have been more).

The area they're in is an upper middle class part of a very blue collar city. I THINK they're trying to take advantage of the fact that EVERY grocery store within 4-5 miles except Safeway & Grocery Outlet (a liquidator kind of like BL but 90% food) have closed in the last 3 years. Problem is in some areas (especially frozen food) they are actually more expensive than a regular grocery store!

Other than Safeway & GO , their next competition for grocerys is almost certainly more than 5 miles away (a Krooger's brand called Fred Meyer & an upscale store).

They were actually quite busy, but again I'm guessing a big piece of that is people in the neighborhood are getting sick & tired of how busy Safeway is & their high prices (I know that's how I felt when I lived in that area until about a year ago).

I do suspect if a brand new superstore was that low on media, BL is largely out of the movie industry.
Old 05-11-17, 05:29 PM

My store finally received a few DVD players. Two GPX D200B's for $25.00 each. It is the basic model without upconverting but with RCA connections. I need the remote for my beautifully working upconverting GPX DH-300B which I purchased a few years ago at Big Lots but whose very small remote crumbled. I have a standard definition tube TV which only has RCA connections and not the HTML connections. The industry passed a law in 2013 outlawing any manufacturer from including RCA connections on DVD and Blue Ray players making tube TV's obsolete in as far as connecting to any new DVD or Blue Ray players. But I love the color and flesh tones of my Sony Trinitron TV and hate the black background pixels of LCD screens. Anyway, trying to purchase any new or used DVD or Blue Ray players before 2013 with RCA connections is almost impossible. I also found that the normal cheaper universal remotes are worthless and one needs one of those $80+ expensive universal remotes . Anyway, I am happier than a pig in slop since the remote from the GPX D200B does work beautifully on my GPX DH-300B. P.S. I already went through an assortment of Pro Scan, Sony, and Sylvania DVD players that worked briefly but quit.
Old 05-11-17, 06:40 PM

I just wish BL would get *something* of interest again.
Me too.
Old 05-11-17, 08:52 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

The last video I bought at a Big Lots was The Evil Dead remake on BD for $5 almost a year ago. I haven't seen anything "of interest" since, although I almost bought Godzilla (1998) on BD several months ago until I read all the negative reviews. Big Lots has become a waste of my time as far as videos are concerned.
Old 05-15-17, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was at the BL closest to my house today, & they had just gotten in a new unopened display. They opened it for me. Keeping in mind it was marked "April", both myself & the woman who opened it believed it was completely restocks. $3 & $5 dvd, & 3 $5 br titles. Highlights on dvd were Bull Durham @ $3 (which I bought) & Abe Lincoln Vampire Hinter @ $5 (which I didn't; I would have paid $3.)

2 of the br titles were unknown to me, the 3rd was a Jim Carrey Cat In The Hat movie if I remember right.
Old 05-16-17, 01:36 AM

Some good news.

New titles.
Old 05-16-17, 06:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently saw a 'restocked' DVD display. Lots more of the same old stuff.
Old 05-17-17, 01:32 PM

My Big Lots store had a selection of $3 and $5 DVD's marked at half price.(about 20 different titles) They weren't new inventory but DVD's that were sitting there for months.

Last edited by smartalec44; 05-18-17 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-18-17, 03:57 AM

Interesting.
Old 06-04-17, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Stopped by my local store and bought Tsunami: the Aftermath for $3. A rare blind buy for me. I hadn't seen it or heard of it before, but it looks good.
Old 06-04-17, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what i saw, our Niles, IL locale is going to be moving into new space where a former Sports Authority resided to open up shop at their newest locale, but in the same plaza, just more room, so we'll see what they have to offer there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.