Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-17-16, 06:56 AM   #126
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,791
Re: Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo View Post
Bought midnight Summer Dream for $3 to add to the Cagney collection; I hope they don't use Shakespeare language, but they probably will.

Yes the film A Midsummer Night's Dream with James Cagney, Mickey Rooney, Dick Powell, and Olivia de Havilland is how Shakespeare wrote it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 03:39 AM   #127
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,101
Re: Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Films View Post
Yes the film A Midsummer Night's Dream with James Cagney, Mickey Rooney, Dick Powell, and Olivia de Havilland is how Shakespeare wrote it.
I unfortunately discovered that. I think I lasted 10 minutes.

I don't mind the story lines (I like Shearer's Romeo & Juliet); but the spoken language is to archaic for me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 05:39 AM   #128
Senior Member
 
DaBargainHunta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 380
Re: Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo View Post
I unfortunately discovered that. I think I lasted 10 minutes.

I don't mind the story lines (I like Shearer's Romeo & Juliet); but the spoken language is to archaic for me.
If it has subtitles, turn them on. Made a world of difference for me with the recent Whedon adaptation of Much Ado About Nothing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-16, 09:52 PM   #129
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,101
Re: Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Bridgeport (Tacoma WA) has a pretty large dvd clearance section, but not a 1 that tempted me at all. Not a single blu-ray in the store that I could see.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-16, 12:37 AM   #130
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,735
Re: Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

My store got new titles, but stuff I didn't want.

I did pick up (blind buy) "Stalingrad" for three dollars.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-16, 04:38 PM   #131
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gilbertsville, Penna.
Posts: 105
Re: Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

I purchased the following TV series sets for $5.00 each which have not been in my store ever.

The Practice- Volume One
Shark-Season One
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-16, 06:18 PM   #132
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,793
Re: Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

New shippers (looked like 7-8) with $8 tv show and 4-film set DVD's. Looked like all, or nearly all, stuff from the 50's-60's. 2 Seasons of I Love Lucy, several of Bewitched, a Season or two of Gilligan's Island.

I had a heck of a time looking at any of it, as it was on one of the towers near the front. So right next to the line of 11 people waiting on 1 cashier with lots of screaming kids.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-16, 11:01 PM   #133
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,101
Re: Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Mill Creek?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-16, 06:51 PM   #134
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,791
Re: Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo View Post
Mill Creek?
I saw a Sony I Dream of Jeannie Season 1 Colorized for $8. Also Warner Western Box Set . Mostly 1950's Films. Includes 1960 Cimmeron. 6 films $8. The other Bewitched and Jeannie sets were Mill Creek.

Last edited by Classic Films; 07-22-16 at 09:23 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-16, 07:39 PM   #135
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,964
Re: Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Films View Post
I saw a Sony I Dream of Jeannie Season 1 Colorized for $8. Also Warner Western Box Set . Mostly 1950's Films. Includes 1960 Cimmeron. 6 films $8.
I'd pick up one of the Warner Western box sets for that price *with* a $5 off $20 coupon (I have one currently), but it's only $10.14 at Amazon so it really depends on what else I might find as I'd need to stay as close to $20 as possible to maximize the coupon.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-16, 09:22 PM   #136
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,791
Re: Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

At another store I saw James Stewart - The Signature Collection (The Cheyenne Social Club / Firecreek / The FBI Story / The Naked Spur / The Spirit of St. Louis / The Stratton Story)Also $8.

A Few of the TCM Greatest Classic Four Film sets $8 Each

Kirk Douglas - Lust For Life, Bad and the Beautiful, Young Man With A Horn, Before I Forget(Kirk talks about his life)
Bogart and Bacall
Gangsters - Humphrey Bogart
Wartime Musicals - Yankee Doodle Dandy / This is the Army / Thank Your Lucky Stars / Hollywood Canteen $8 Each
Henry Fonda
Spencer Tracy
Barbara Stanwyck
Natalie Wood
Gangsters - Prohibition Era (The Public Enemy / The Roaring Twenties / Little Caesar / Smart Money)
War (Battle of the Bulge / The Dawn Patrol / Gunga Din / Operation Pacific)
Taylor and Burton
Esther Williams Vol 1
2 John Wayne sets 4 films each.
Cary Grant Vol 2 SYLVIA SCARLETT (1935) , GUNGA DIN (1939), DESTINATION TOKYO (1943) - ARSENIC AND OLD LACE (1944)

Last edited by Classic Films; 07-23-16 at 01:20 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-16, 07:04 PM   #137
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,791
Re: Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

The TCM Greatest Classic Four Film sets currently are ringing up with $1 instant off each. So they are currently $7 each.

I saw the Jetsons Season 1 for $8.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-16, 08:42 PM   #138
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,964
Re: Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

I stopped in Sunday and there was nothing new. I'll probably check again this week "just because" but we don't shop BL near as often as we did before they changed the "Buzz Club" to the "we'll send a coupon every so often" mode of operation.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-16, 06:07 AM   #139
kd5
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
kd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 7,044
Re: Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

From some of the available titles listed lately it sounds like Big Lots is turning into another Ollies, which is to say: titles I never give a rats behind about. I know some of you like the old timey wimey (quoting The Doctor) movies (wartime/gangster/musicals) but they don't appeal to me. I wish BL would get their shit together and start getting some decent titles again, I miss shopping for movies there...
__________________
Time is the fire in which we burn. (Soran)

My DVD/BD Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-16, 04:25 PM   #140
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 65
Re: Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
I wish BL would get their shit together and start getting some decent titles again, I miss shopping for movies there...
It's not even so much getting it together, this stuff isn't being produced (or, overproduced) in mass quantities like it once was. There's less back catalog to go around. A lot of times a retailer like BL may not even have control over what they're buying as stock- it will be sold to them as a pallet of "X number of DVDs", or if they're lucky, "X number of WB or whomever DVDs". They may get a packing list that says, "guaranteed to contain..." a certain title at quantity. I work for HPB, the same thing happens to us, though we are a bookstore and media only accounts for a small portion of our business.

BL did make a mistake in that they've cut back on focusing on DVDs, their new CEO said this was his strategy when he came in. He wanted to expand the food offerings, well, he is living with his decision.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-16, 10:26 PM   #141
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,793
Re: Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

I saw a lot of the new brown-stickered titles, lots of them were only one apiece. And when there was more than one, it was usually only 2-3 total.

$5 TV Shows on DVD
Touch
My Name is Earl S1
My Name is Earl S3
My Name is Earl S4
Prison Break S3
Family Guy S3

$3 DVD's - An incomplete list of about 3/4 of what was there
6 Bullets
A Single Shot
Anonymous (Roland Emmerich)
Ben Hur: The Epic Miniseries Event
Blood: The Last Vampire
Casualties of War (old version, not the extended)
Child of God
Eastern Bandits
Extraordinary Measures
Flashpoint (Kris Kristofferson)
Godzilla (1998)
Ip Man 2
Ip Man: The Final Fight
Kaena - The Prophecy
Killers (Timo Tjahjanto, Kimo Stamboel)
Last Vegas w/UV sticker
Little Big Soldier
London Boulevard
Muay Thai Warrior
My Way (Je-kyu Kang)
New World (Hoon-jung Park)
Not the Messiah
Once Upon A Time In Shanghai
Rise: Blood Hunter
Shaolin
St. Trinian's
Stalingrad
Standoff (Brendan Fraser)
Survivor (Milla Jovovich, Pierce Brosnan)
The Exorcism of Emily Rose
The Weather Man
Third Person
Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning
XXX (Vin Diesel)

$3 Blu-ray
The Last Exorcism Part II

$5 Blu-ray
Evil Dead
Avengers Confidential
The Other Guy
In the Line of Fire
House Bunny
Marley & Me 3-Disc
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-16, 11:45 PM   #142
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,101
Re: Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Quote:
Originally Posted by js2shops View Post
It's not even so much getting it together, this stuff isn't being produced (or, overproduced) in mass quantities like it once was. There's less back catalog to go around. A lot of times a retailer like BL may not even have control over what they're buying as stock- it will be sold to them as a pallet of "X number of DVDs", or if they're lucky, "X number of WB or whomever DVDs". They may get a packing list that says, "guaranteed to contain..." a certain title at quantity. I work for HPB, the same thing happens to us, though we are a bookstore and media only accounts for a small portion of our business.

BL did make a mistake in that they've cut back on focusing on DVDs, their new CEO said this was his strategy when he came in. He wanted to expand the food offerings, well, he is living with his decision.
There food prices are at times higher then grocery store (especially frozen).
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-16, 11:46 PM   #143
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,101
Re: Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash View Post
I saw a lot of the new brown-stickered titles, lots of them were only one apiece. And when there was more than one, it was usually only 2-3 total.

$5 TV Shows on DVD
Touch
My Name is Earl S1
My Name is Earl S3
My Name is Earl S4
Prison Break S3
Family Guy S3

$3 DVD's - An incomplete list of about 3/4 of what was there
6 Bullets
A Single Shot
Anonymous (Roland Emmerich)
Ben Hur: The Epic Miniseries Event
Blood: The Last Vampire
Casualties of War (old version, not the extended)
Child of God
Eastern Bandits
Extraordinary Measures
Flashpoint (Kris Kristofferson)
Godzilla (1998)
Ip Man 2
Ip Man: The Final Fight
Kaena - The Prophecy
Killers (Timo Tjahjanto, Kimo Stamboel)
Last Vegas w/UV sticker
Little Big Soldier
London Boulevard
Muay Thai Warrior
My Way (Je-kyu Kang)
New World (Hoon-jung Park)
Not the Messiah
Once Upon A Time In Shanghai
Rise: Blood Hunter
Shaolin
St. Trinian's
Stalingrad
Standoff (Brendan Fraser)
Survivor (Milla Jovovich, Pierce Brosnan)
The Exorcism of Emily Rose
The Weather Man
Third Person
Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning
XXX (Vin Diesel)

$3 Blu-ray
The Last Exorcism Part II

$5 Blu-ray
Evil Dead
Avengers Confidential
The Other Guy
In the Line of Fire
House Bunny
Marley & Me 3-Disc
Thanks for posting! Fortunately for my addiction, not one title is of interest!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-16, 12:46 AM   #144
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 17,571
Re: Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Thanks for the list. A few interesting things, though nothing that will make me go out of my way.
__________________
Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (last update: May 30, 2016)

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-16, 03:46 AM   #145
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,735
Re: Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Quote:
XXX (Vin Diesel)
The single disc version or two?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-16, 10:59 AM   #146
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,793
Re: Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

You're welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIan View Post
The single disc version or two?
Single disc.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-16, 02:39 AM   #147
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,735
Re: Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Another question.

I've seen all three seasons of "Gilligan's Island" - which version is that?

The same double sided entry or the pressing which has each side on their own disc?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-16, 08:12 AM   #148
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,964
Re: Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIan View Post
Another question.

I've seen all three seasons of "Gilligan's Island" - which version is that?

The same double sided entry or the pressing which has each side on their own disc?
The double-sided are in thicker paperboard type cases (digipaks inside) while the newer ones are usually in viva style cases. The newer, SS, editions have a 2011 copyright date for S1 & S2 with 2012 for S3 in the block of text next to the WB logo on the back.

The easiest way to tell is look at the UPC - they are different:

S1-DS: 053939673425
S1-SS: 883929161256

S2-DS: 053939692624
S2-SS: 883929161263

S3-DS: 053939733129
S3-SS: 883929241323

I *think* I've seen both at BL but I already own both versions so I've not looked very closely.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-16, 08:54 PM   #149
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,294
Re: Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Found a ton of the 4 set TCM collection (various collections like John Wayne, Paul Newman, Bogart, Gangsters, Esther Williams, Kirk Douglas and many more I can't remember). Each is $8 with 20% off this weekend only.

Also found James Stewart Signature collection and Warner Western Collection (Fort Bravo, Cimarron and 4 other films), 'I Love Lucy S1' and 'I Love Lucy S2' for $8 each ($6.40 with this weekend's 20% off)
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-16, 01:10 AM   #150
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,735
Re: Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Quote:
The double-sided are in thicker paperboard type cases (digipaks inside) while the newer ones are usually in viva style cases.
The reason I ask - I bought a season one re-release in a thicker case; all the discs inside were the first pressing; double sided. I was ticked off to say the least.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 PM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0