cheapest price I have seen so far!
Old 07-29-14, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
Re: Universal Classic monsters 30 disc collection $149.00 @ Fry's.com

Originally Posted by Dmurr88
cheapest price I have seen so far!
Price AND Product Link are helpful: http://www.frys.com/product/8158965

Also Frys claims item will ship by Aug 11th while Amazon has release date as Sep 2nd
Old 07-30-14, 02:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
Price AND Product Link are helpful: http://www.frys.com/product/8158965

Also Frys claims item will ship by Aug 11th while Amazon has release date as Sep 2nd
He only has 2 posts, so he can't post a link yet...
Old 07-30-14, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by berigan
He only has 2 posts, so he can't post a link yet...
My bad, sorry about that

That being said, there's little merit to this set if you don't already have the Legacy collections from earlier years. This is just a repackaging of them all and the price is not competitive at all. For a minute, I got excited thinking this was a BD set but not. The additional movies/sequels to the classic monsters are a hit or miss - both in movie quality and DVD picture quality. I have all of the individual Legacy sets and from what I hear, there's been no attempt at a restoration of clean up of the additional movies. The difference b/w the main titles on DVD and BD however is like night and day. Pop in Dracula on DVD and Dracula from the BD set and you will see.
Old 07-30-14, 04:05 PM
Banned

My bad, sorry about that

That being said, there's little merit to this set if you don't already have the Legacy collections from earlier years. This is just a repackaging of them all and the price is not competitive at all. For a minute, I got excited thinking this was a BD set but not. The additional movies/sequels to the classic monsters are a hit or miss - both in movie quality and DVD picture quality. I have all of the individual Legacy sets and from what I hear, there's been no attempt at a restoration of clean up of the additional movies. The difference b/w the main titles on DVD and BD however is like night and day. Pop in Dracula on DVD and Dracula from the BD set and you will see.
Already have the Classic 8 Film BR set...BUT never bought any of the other 22 titles in this set and that is why I am getting it! Definately agree BR's look so much better than their DVD counterparts on the 8 classic films!, but definately want those other titles in my dwindling DVD collection
Old 07-30-14, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dmurr88
Already have the Classic 8 Film BR set...BUT never bought any of the other 22 titles in this set and that is why I am getting it! Definately agree BR's look so much better than their DVD counterparts on the 8 classic films!, but definately want those other titles in my dwindling DVD collection
This may also cause the price of those Legacy sets to go down, given how outrageous the used market on those were. Just a thought.
Old 07-31-14, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

That being said, there's little merit to this set if you don't already have the Legacy collections from earlier years. This is just a repackaging of them all...
What you get is SS discs. The original Legacy collections were on DVD18s and prone to failure/freezes. My set of the Mummy films started to go bad a year or so back. While it stinks there's no trade-in option for those of us who purchased the original sets I'll still pick these up to get the films on more reliable media. BUT I won't get the entire set as not all of the Legacy sets were DS discs and the "bonus" films will be on the individual releases as well.
Old 07-31-14, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
What you get is SS discs. The original Legacy collections were on DVD18s and prone to failure/freezes. My set of the Mummy films started to go bad a year or so back. While it stinks there's no trade-in option for those of us who purchased the original sets I'll still pick these up to get the films on more reliable media. BUT I won't get the entire set as not all of the Legacy sets were DS discs and the "bonus" films will be on the individual releases as well.
Yes, I can attest to those quality issues on my Wolfman set. Freezing on some discs and some sort of a fading as well on a couple of discs. Good point on the quality issues plaguing the Legacy collection
Old 07-31-14, 09:56 PM

This may also cause the price of those Legacy sets to go down, given how outrageous the used market on those were. Just a thought.
The Creature from the Black Lagoon still is on my radar; it is the hardest to find at a good price for only three damn movies. I have the other five. The sets are being re-released on amazon. They are adding the Abbot and Costello films (meet the mummy, frankenstein and invisible man) House of Dracula will also be unnecessarily put on each set.
Old 08-02-14, 07:40 AM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

They are putting Abbott and Costello Meets Frankenstein on the Frankenstein, Dracula, and Wolfman re release of the Legacy sets. I guess they are taking into consideration people who only want one of the Legacy sets not to miss this film which features all 3 monsters.
Old 08-02-14, 07:10 PM
Banned

FYI...Set is $128.40 @ Import Cds but not up for pre-order yet BUT will be soon! $5.00 s/h comes to $133.40! Cancelled my order at Frys to save the $17.00, and will pre-order there when up for pre-order anytime soon-