DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Monk complete series $66.99

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-14, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Monk complete series $66.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=2921749011

This is not the Limited set, which is $88 more. This is just the discs.

I'm usually a completist but I'm not paying $88 extra for the box, episode guide, and book with pictures, the eps with all the extras will do just fine. I'm in!

The entire 8 season/125 episode series arrives on 32 DVDs. These are exactly the same as the previously released season sets. Each 4 disc season arrives in its own single-width DVD case and the cases are housed in a double slipcase that is hinged in the middle. It's a nice package.

Extras:

Unfortunately there isn't a bonus disc for people who shell out the bucks for this impressive collection. All of the on-disc extras from the earlier releases are included though. You can find a more detailed listing of them in the individual season set reviews. (Season one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, and eight.)

The two things that are exclusive to this set are an 18-page episode guide that lists a synopsis for each episode as well as letting you know which disc it can be found on, and a 32-page book: An Obsessive's Guide to Monk. This is nice, though it's a little light on substance. Mainly filled with pictures, the book lists Monk's pobias (well, the 38 that come out in the series at least), quotes from the detective, and it has some cleaning tips. It was nice, but fans who bought the earlier releases aren't missing much.

http://www.amazon.com/Monk-Complete-...ds=monk+series

Camelcamelcamel does not have data to chart so this seems to be a reissue with just the seasons sets instead of the nice box/picture book/ep guide. This may be an intro price so it's a gamble whether it will go up or down. I don't really see it going lower.

House, M.D., check. Monk, check. CSI: Vegas and E.R. to go

Final Thoughts:

If you have the earlier season sets, there's no real reason to pick this up. The exclusive book is ho-hum at best and the DVDs are exactly the same. If you haven't been following the cases of this master detective though, this is a great way to pick them all up in one easy step. All the episodes in one white, clean box. Just the way Monk himself would like it. Highly Recommended.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 03-30-14 at 02:36 AM.
Old 04-02-14, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Monk complete series $66.99

Haven't these individual seasons been as low as $7.99? I am not sure this wont go lower. I could see this getting to $49.99
Old 04-03-14, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BKenn01
Haven't these individual seasons been as low as $7.99? I am not sure this wont go lower. I could see this getting to $49.99
Many times. I think DD had them all as low as 5-6 bucks at one point, but $8 won't be too hard to get to.
Old 04-03-14, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I picked up seasons 2-7 at Columbia House in late January. They were $11.97 but the site allowed a 50% off code and 15% sale to stack, so they were in the neighborhood of $5-6 each before shipping.
Old 04-04-14, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

I didn't bit. Ended up getting the limited set $78.75 shipped sealed on eBay, got it today. Ends up being $9.84 per season plus the book and nice box. I browsed through the book and found it more awesome than the reviewer here. Really easy to get it at any time on eBay for $100 and now and then for $80-$100.