DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

50% Coupon Code at foxconnect.com

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-13, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: 50% Coupon Code at foxconnect.com

Originally Posted by thetao
Concerning Fox Horror #1...I assume everybody found two art cards packaged with each film? I skimmed the various packaging but didn't find any reference to this. My set #2 (bought a year or two ago) didn't include any cards, but I assume this was by design?
Same here.
Old 11-25-13, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FYI,

" Voyage To The Bottom of The Sea is badly scratched (it came out of the packaging that way; I did NOT damage it) & freezes at aprox 57 minutes. I would appreciate a replacement."

I even tried running it through a scratch repair machine. Apparently they're resealing customer returns. I hope that isn't the case with the rest of the order!
Old 11-25-13, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just opened 2 more. 1 seems fine, but the Rocky Horror Blu-ray has some small gouges in it. Guess I'll be playing it next.

Has anyone else had disc quality issues with this sale?
Old 11-25-13, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I STRONGLY suggest that anyone who partook of this sale open all your discs immediately. On Fox Horror #1, 2 of the 3 discs were scratched. Fox Horror 2, Chandu was scratched. The Vincent Price box appears to be new.

I will almost guarantee that some of these are defective rewrapped customer returns.

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 11-25-13 at 03:53 AM.
Old 11-25-13, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

last Post until Fox responds. I have now opened all discs. The others appear to actually be new. Voyage was the worst (oddly it plays through on my $100 Pioneer, but not on my $1,000 Oppo which has never skipped or frozen on any disc before). Rocky Horror & Tte three scratched discs from the Horror boxes also really concern me; I will be doing a lot of watching soon. I hope Fox is cool about this.

Oh, & none of the bad discs were loose in the case; they are obviously repacked used dvd's.

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 11-25-13 at 03:58 AM.
Old 11-25-13, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far I have only opened the Amityville Box:

-No cellophane on individual cases
-White stickers covering all UPCs and on bottom of box (this one printed #)
-Eco cases for all except the bonus disc (no UPC, no sticker on this one)
-Piece of cellophane stuck to spine of bonus disc denoting previously sealed
-One fingerprint each on flipper side of 2 and 3 (the full screen side)
-One minor scratch at the edge of part 3 WS side
-No fingerprints anywhere else, a couple of indentations on part 3 case

I suspect these fingerprints were from assembly line workers.
Maybe this was some kind of cutout liquidation.

All my Midnite's have security stickers and cellophane. I overstated the scuffing before but the Howling back cover perforations are all too real.

I expect scratches on the severe floater Devils of Darkness/Witchcraft unless it was the holder itself that is loose.

Let us know what they say. I will update if any others are funny looking.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the kicker. Amityville I has the 2005 remake bluray disc art (minus the bluray banner) printed on it but it is the original expected film on the disc! This may indicate misprints, defectives, cutouts were what this big sale was about.

Last edited by triste realtà; 11-25-13 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-25-13, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by triste realtà
So far I have only opened the Amityville Box:

-No cellophane on individual cases
-White stickers covering all UPCs and on bottom of box (this one printed #)
-Eco cases for all except the bonus disc (no UPC, no sticker on this one)
-Piece of cellophane stuck to spine of bonus disc denoting previously sealed
-One fingerprint each on flipper side of 2 and 3 (the full screen side)
-One minor scratch at the edge of part 3 WS side
-No fingerprints anywhere else, a couple of indentations on part 3 case

I suspect these fingerprints were from assembly line workers.
Maybe this was some kind of cutout liquidation.

All my Midnite's have security stickers and cellophane. I overstated the scuffing before but the Howling back cover perforations are all too real.

I expect scratches on the severe floater Devils of Darkness/Witchcraft unless it was the holder itself that is loose.

Let us know what they say. I will update if any others are funny looking.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the kicker. Amityville I has the 2005 bluray disc art (minus the bluray banner) printed on it but it is the original expected film on the disc! This may indicate misprints, defectives, cutouts were what this big sale was about.
So far no reply. I plan to call them in the morning.

NONE of the individual dvd cases in my 3 box sets were shrink wrapped. I didn't know they were supposed to be.............

Now that you mention it, the other thing that was weird: The BADLY damaged Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea had that stupid plastic security strip, but since Fox is the manufacturer, there's nothing stopping them from putting that on a used dvd.

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 11-25-13 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-25-13, 08:15 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I noticed my Newhart set was all beat up when I opened the shipment a couple weeks ago. I just opened the actual dvd today after seeing some of the posts here, and the discs & cases inside were fine. The outer box has a bunch of surface wear and damage, so someone had it. It only cost me $6.49, so I'm not too worried, but I think this is another case of being a used item.
Old 11-25-13, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by walletboyniac
I noticed my Newhart set was all beat up when I opened the shipment a couple weeks ago. I just opened the actual dvd today after seeing some of the posts here, and the discs & cases inside were fine. The outer box has a bunch of surface wear and damage, so someone had it. It only cost me $6.49, so I'm not too worried, but I think this is another case of being a used item.
Even if those Newhart discs look OK be sure to play them. One of the sets I purchased when they were originally released had a disc with a couple of episodes that wouldn't play (skips/hangs) - I believe the discs are DVD-18s.
Old 11-25-13, 09:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Even if those Newhart discs look OK be sure to play them. One of the sets I purchased when they were originally released had a disc with a couple of episodes that wouldn't play (skips/hangs) - I believe the discs are DVD-18s.
Are all DVD-18s double-sided? I have 3 single-sided discs. Still, this is an excuse for me to watch them for the comedy challenge!
Old 11-25-13, 09:47 PM

I'll check my stuff out later, I have them stacked up, not yet put away. They all looked clean and undamaged from the outside though.
Old 11-25-13, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All of mine had very clean packaging. The discs are the problem.
Old 11-25-13, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
NONE of the individual dvd cases in my 3 box sets were shrink wrapped. I didn't know they were supposed to be.............

Now that you mention it, the other thing that was weird: The BADLY damaged Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea had that stupid plastic security strip, but since Fox is the manufacturer, there's nothing stopping them from putting that on a used dvd.
With every set I've seen, the regular black Amarays had cellophane but the thin clear cases (I don't know what they're called) never did. I think you said the Fox Horror Volumes had the thin cases?

I'm thinking it would be too much trouble to have security stickers reprinted for used dvds but am in no way sure or know how easy or not it is to print them and reseal for resale at cutout prices. And that a badly damaged disc/case that is actually used would have fingerprints and smutz all over them? Makes me think the damage happened on the assembly line. Just guessing. I want to see what the canned response is from them.

More info: this Amityville box didn't have the remake voucher or sticker on the front that says that like they used to. Maybe they stopped that since that was for 2005.

Might also want to check google:
foxconnect+scratched

Last edited by triste realtà; 11-25-13 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-25-13, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am currently scanning all the dvd's I got in this sale with Nero dvd quality software (I am unable to scan br's at this time). When I am done I will post the scans. So far, I have done 5, 1 is DREADFUL (the Voyage to the Bottom ... dvd that froze), 3 are very bad & 1 is mediocre. The 3 that are very bad may or may not have playback issues; they are pretty bad also, though Voyage was by far the worst (so far).
Old 11-26-13, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's the first batch of scans from my Fox order. I consider anything below a 95 score, and above 200 PI failures to be unacceptable. These aren't even close. Red means that section is likely to not play at all, yellow is marginal as to whether it will play. Green is a smaller error; all dvd's will have SOME of the green errors. I am pickier than many others. Some folks are content with 90 Score /1000 failures.

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 11-26-13 at 02:30 AM.
Old 11-26-13, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by walletboyniac
Are all DVD-18s double-sided? I have 3 single-sided discs. Still, this is an excuse for me to watch them for the comedy challenge!
Oops! You said Newhart and my mind translated The Bob Newhart Show! Newhart is DL/SS and should be OK in that regard (at least I've not read about any issues with the Newhart discs and mine play OK). Yes, DVD-18s are DL/DS discs which is what was used on The Bob Newhart Show sets. Fox used those on Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (TV show - not movie) as well. I have 3 of those sets that have playback issues.
Old 11-26-13, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I called Fox. The rep was friendly. They've emailed me an RMA with a prepaid return UPS tag & will replace any discs I send back. My only concern is she could only make the RMA for 1 disc due to Fox's software; but she swears they'll replace any I send back. They are requiring return of the entire box on sets, rather than just replacing the 1 or 2 bad discs in the set. They also ask that I write a note explaining the specific issue(s) with any discs I'm returning.
Old 11-28-13, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

For those of you who ordered a lot of items from this sale, how were the DVDs packaged?

My last order of 2 DVDs and 1 Blu-Ray came with 1 of the DVDs crushed. My recent order has 11 items in it, so I'm hoping it will be packed a little better.
Old 11-28-13, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^My order was split with 1 title shipping separately. Both were packaged well. The larger shipment was in a box about the right size with the single title in a cardboard shipper of the exact size needed. Neither arrived damaged.
Old 11-28-13, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
^My order was split with 1 title shipping separately. Both were packaged well. The larger shipment was in a box about the right size with the single title in a cardboard shipper of the exact size needed. Neither arrived damaged.
Thank you!
Old 11-28-13, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ironically, my packaging was 100% perfect: All issues are with the discs. I've decided to send back as few as possible; for all i know the replacements may have the same problems. If it plays, I'm keeping it. I have 3 more I need to play all the way through today that had iffy software scans. So far, the only 2 that are going back for sure are Voyage To The Bottom of The Sea & Rocky Horror.

I was really surprised that Undying Monster played perfectly, it was the second most beat up of the discs. The film itself was also a pleasant surprise; it was quite good.