Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

AMAZON: Official SD Bargains Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-15, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts
Re: AMAZON: Official SD Bargains Thread

A lot of the series simply doesn't hold up that well. It definitely isn't Twilight Zone.
Old 02-05-15, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Just noticed 24: Live Another Day has dropped to $10. I'm not sure if this is simply matching someone else's sale price or not. I'd prefer the BD, but might bite on this.
Old 02-05-15, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Just noticed 24: Live Another Day has dropped to $10. I'm not sure if this is simply matching someone else's sale price or not. I'd prefer the BD, but might bite on this.
They're pm'ing Target. It is a tempting price, but I figure that as a Fox title it'll be at least around as good of a deal in the future. I'm holding out for the BR anyway, due to the additional bonus features.

Amazon does seem to be doing a lot of pm'ing today. A lot of the WB TV titles that are on-sale at WM are being matched, mostly CW shows like SPN, TVD, Arrow, The 100, Reign, etc. as well as a few others like The Following, 2 Broke Girls, Revolution and Mike & Molly.
Old 02-06-15, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
A lot of the series simply doesn't hold up that well. It definitely isn't Twilight Zone.
True, but it's better than anything on TV now. Same with Twilight Zone Version 2 & Outer Limits Version 2.

The ONLY things I watch on TV today are the weekly football game (over till next season) & the occasional news. Maybe it's my age, but my perception is that USA TV has gotten awful.
Old 02-06-15, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
True, but it's better than anything on TV now. Same with Twilight Zone Version 2 & Outer Limits Version 2.

The ONLY things I watch on TV today are the weekly football game (over till next season) & the occasional news. Maybe it's my age, but my perception is that USA TV has gotten awful.
That's crazy talk. You need HBO and Showtime.
Old 02-07-15, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Exactly - with the exception that I don't bother with sports or news. The paper's better for news and I've never liked sports. I'll occasionallly watch Andrew Zimmern's or Anthony Bourdain's shows and the odd program or two on History but little else.
Originally Posted by Spiderbite
That's crazy talk. You need HBO and Showtime.
They're no different. Yeah, each has a farily good series or two but there's not enough worth watching to justify the monthly subscription price. It's a better value to just purchase their good product on disc (or "digital" if you're one of those people).

I was never a big fan of Night Gallery but might get at least one set just because of those very reasons and the low price. I saw so little during first run that it'd be mostly a new viewing.
Old 02-07-15, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Night Gallery is one of those sacred shows of childhood for me. Watched it religiously at age 4 or 5. Great music and Seventies atmosphere. Season 2 is the best one to get.

Both Munsters and NG S2 are DISCS MADE IN MEXICO so expect fingerprints (some that look branded on) and other collateral damage. Munsters had a broken tooth and a small cardboard gouge (managed to smooth the artwork back out) but the floater was the Biography specials disc. Only very minor marks/scritches on a couple discs. Now how to weld the tooth back to the case....
Old 02-07-15, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Exactly - with the exception that I don't bother with sports or news. The paper's better for news and I've never liked sports. I'll occasionallly watch Andrew Zimmern's or Anthony Bourdain's shows and the odd program or two on History but little else.

They're no different. Yeah, each has a farily good series or two but there's not enough worth watching to justify the monthly subscription price. It's a better value to just purchase their good product on disc (or "digital" if you're one of those people).
If the FCC would get rid of bundles, I would get cable for TCM & the local baseball team; but to get those 2 channels I have to pay for another 50+ that I can't afford & would never watch.
Old 02-07-15, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

If the FCC would get rid of bundles, I would get cable for TCM & the local baseball team; but to get those 2 channels I have to pay for another 50+ that I can't afford & would never watch.
Now that TCM (and others) let you log in to their applications using TV information, I'm eagerly anticipating being able to pay then a direct nominal fee JUST for their service. I think several channels are actively pursuing these lines of thought, and they'd be a boon for people who only eant a couple of channels.
Old 02-07-15, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ntnon
Now that TCM (and others) let you log in to their applications using TV information, I'm eagerly anticipating being able to pay then a direct nominal fee JUST for their service. I think several channels are actively pursuing these lines of thought, and they'd be a boon for people who only eant a couple of channels.
I'm not familiar with that concept. Would you mind elaborating (what equipment is required, etc)?
Old 02-07-15, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I used to watch a lot of TCM but Suddenlink "wisely" decided to move it to a extra fee movie tier rather than pass along a rate increase to "everyone" because "not everyone watches the channel and those that want it can just subscribe to the movie tier." They then raise rates by $3/month due to "increases in costs of sports programming." I wrote them a very nasty email calling them out on moving TCM because "not everyone watches and it was done so rates wouldn't rise" and then doing exactly the opposite for sports when "not everyone watches but everyone's rate is going up because of sports" indicating they need to move all sports to pay tiers and the problem is solved.
Old 02-07-15, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

IMO, both cable & digital over the air are a scam. Cable has both the bundling & a crap picture unless you pay extra for HD; & digital over the air can be very problematic unless one is in an urban center.

I was fortunate to find an over the air box called "Iwan" that does a much better than average job; but I am in an urban area & as I am going to have to move, it's quite possible that I'll lose most over the air tv.

At least with analog over the air, you could almost always at least get a cruddy picture no matter where you were, with digital it's all or nothing.
Old 02-11-15, 07:45 AM

Party Down - Season 2 - $5.99.
Old 02-12-15, 12:35 AM

Did a search here for the Boris Karloff Collection...found a review in 2006...so, if this hasn't been here before (the price has been all over the place) It's a pretty good deal to be aware of if you like "young" Karloff
http://www.amazon.com/Karloff-Collec...=night+key+dvd
Camel says the lowest price is $8.71, but here it is at $8.13
Old 02-12-15, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by berigan
Did a search here for the Boris Karloff Collection...found a review in 2006...so, if this hasn't been here before (the price has been all over the place) It's a pretty good deal to be aware of if you like "young" Karloff
http://www.amazon.com/Karloff-Collec...=night+key+dvd
Camel says the lowest price is $8.71, but here it is at $8.13
I likely paid at least $20, great deal!
Old 02-13-15, 01:57 PM

Karloff & Lugosi is around $10, too.
Seasons of Alfred Hitchcock Presents are also around $10 and $11.

Looks like it may be a Universal boxset clearance thing...
Old 02-27-15, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

The Samuel Fuller Film Collection (It Happened in Hollywood / Adventure in Sahara / Power of the Press / The Crimson Kimono / Shockproof / Scandal Sheet / Underworld U.S.A.) - $22.99

http://www.amazon.com/Collection-Hol...ler+Collection
Old 02-27-15, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by inri222
The Samuel Fuller Film Collection ... - $22.99

http://www.amazon.com/Collection-Hol...ler+Collection
A little better price at Hamilton Books:
http://www.hamiltonbook.com/the-samu...lectors-choice
Shipping charges are $3.50 per order plus $0.40 per item.
$17.95 + $3.50 + $ .40 = $21.85.
Old 03-01-15, 07:16 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Amazon lowered the price of Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Epic Series from $30.19 to $22.99, I have no idea for how long.
Old 03-01-15, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 612 Likes on 450 Posts

FILM NOIR 10-FILM SPOTLIGHT COLLECTION - $37.49 (New low)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MUNSV3S/
Old 03-02-15, 07:12 AM

Hercules: The Legendary Journey - Season 2 is $7.99.
Old 03-06-15, 12:23 AM

Ancient Aliens: The Complete Seasons 1-6 - $53.49 at Amazon

I'm a sucker for History Channel stuff. This has finally come down to Earth prices:

http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Aliens.../dp/B00NF6P80I

23 DVDs...Includes 12 bonus episodes!
Old 03-06-15, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brian T
FILM NOIR 10-FILM SPOTLIGHT COLLECTION - $37.49 (New low)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MUNSV3S/
Great price. Question: I already have several of these. Would it be worth paying $37.50 + 10% sales tax for:
The Killers / The Big Clock / Criss Cross / Phantom Lady?

Also, are these the latest remasters?

I could sell the others that I already have on ebay (at least the NTSC ones)
Old 03-06-15, 09:47 PM

Great price. Question: I already have several of these. Would it be worth paying $37.50 + 10% sales tax for:
The Killers / The Big Clock / Criss Cross / Phantom Lady?

Also, are these the latest remasters?

I could sell the others that I already have on ebay (at least the NTSC ones)
2) Not sure, but I assume so.

1) ...they're good films, and if you can recoup your money, on top of that, why not? That said (assuming it's the film I think it is) you're better off with the Criterion Killers for all the bonus films (let alone extras). Even then... c.$12 each for Clock/Cross/Phantom isn't terrible these days. (As an unhelpful aside, I think I have all but one of them in various collections and formats, and may still get the set for convenience's sake..!)
Old 03-07-15, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bit. I hate sales tax, though!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.