EOLOMEA (East German Sci-FI) $3 At First Run

http://firstrunfeatures.com/eolomeadvd.html

Complete Sale

http://firstrunfeatures.com/fallsale15.html
Old 10-06-15, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 611 Likes on 451 Posts
Re: EOLOMEA (East German Sci-FI) $3 At First Run

That's a good price on that one. Too bad they don't have the rest of the DEFA Collection box set titles available. Just be aware that it's non-anamorphic.
Old 10-06-15, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts

I've got the box. It's going for $400 on Amazon right now (ouch)! I remember really liking 1 or 2, & not liking 1 or 2. I don't remember which I liked, though!
Old 10-07-15, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I, too, have the box - got one (~$20 as I recall) right before the price went through the roof. My favorite is Silent Star which was the one I primarily purchased the set to get unedited (I'd already purchased Image's release First Spaceship On Venus which is the best edited/dubbed U.S. WS version of the film). I'd have to watch the other two again to remember if I liked them or not.
Old 10-08-15, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I, too, have the box - got one (~$20 as I recall) right before the price went through the roof. My favorite is Silent Star which was the one I primarily purchased the set to get unedited (I'd already purchased Image's release First Spaceship On Venus which is the best edited/dubbed U.S. WS version of the film). I'd have to watch the other two again to remember if I liked them or not.
I have a terrible memory, but I suspect your thinking was the same as mine when I bought it. I know there were several East German & Soviet sci-fi films that were butchered for America (Think Roger Corman for one........) & I have tried to collect the superior originals.

I also have the Image "Weird Worlds" box that includes First Spaceship. Wish my memory wasn't so bad.........

I do remember really being happy when I found a somewhat restored Zebo Zovyot (aka Niebo Zowiet) which Corman butchered as "Battle Beyond The Sun" (I actually think he made 2 films out of it, but I can't find the name of the other at the moment.)

There's also "Ikarie XB-1" butchered by AIP & renamed "Voyage to the End of the Universe"

& possibly the best: Planeta Bur butchered & renamed "Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet".
Old 10-08-15, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like really good sci-fi, but there is little of it. I was wondering if this stuff was really good, cheesy or an acquired taste.

My favorite sci-fi are Matrix, Andromeda Strain, Planet of the Apes, and the Star Trek franchises. Just looking for something different and good. Thanks.
Old 10-08-15, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
I have a terrible memory, but I suspect your thinking was the same as mine when I bought it. I know there were several East German & Soviet sci-fi films that were butchered for America (Think Roger Corman for one........) & I have tried to collect the superior originals.

I also have the Image "Weird Worlds" box that includes First Spaceship. Wish my memory wasn't so bad.........
I managed to purchase my copy before that "Weird Worlds" box came out. I'd much rather have waited as I'd have saved a few $$ over purchasing the titles individually as well as saved a bit of shelf space.
I do remember really being happy when I found a somewhat restored Zebo Zovyot (aka Niebo Zowiet) which Corman butchered as "Battle Beyond The Sun" (I actually think he made 2 films out of it, but I can't find the name of the other at the moment.)
Corman actually got parts of *four* films out of the purchase. The other films were Queen of Blood, Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet, and Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women.

Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet had most of its footage taken from Planeta Bur. I've never found a copy of Nebo Zovyot anywhere.
There's also "Ikarie XB-1" butchered by AIP & renamed "Voyage to the End of the Universe"

& possibly the best: Planeta Bur butchered & renamed "Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet".
I *did* purchase the Video Dimensions release of Planeta Bur (aka Planet of Storms) via Amazon. It's a very good copy with my only complaint being that it's a DVD-R.

Ikarie XB-1 sounds interesting but the only copies I've found are PAL/R2. I don't think I ever saw the AIP recut.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 10-08-15 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-08-15, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I like really good sci-fi, but there is little of it. I was wondering if this stuff was really good, cheesy or an acquired taste.

My favorite sci-fi are Matrix, Andromeda Strain, Planet of the Apes, and the Star Trek franchises. Just looking for something different and good. Thanks.
For the current price + shipping (a bit over $6 I believe) I'd say it's worth a blind buy just to test the waters. The DEFA films have a somewhat slower pace than the films you mentioned. To a degree I'd say they are a acquired taste but they lean towards "Hard SF" more than do many US SF films. If you've ever seen Andrei Tarkovsky's Solaris you'll have a fairly good idea of the pacing.
Old 10-08-15, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts

If you've ever seen Andrei Tarkovsky's Solaris you'll have a fairly good idea of the pacing.
That would be glacial, then.
Old 10-08-15, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I LOVE the Tarkovsky Solaris!
Old 10-09-15, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the current price + shipping (a bit over $6 I believe) I'd say it's worth a blind buy just to test the waters. The DEFA films have a somewhat slower pace than the films you mentioned. To a degree I'd say they are a acquired taste but they lean towards "Hard SF" more than do many US SF films. If you've ever seen Andrei Tarkovsky's Solaris you'll have a fairly good idea of the pacing.
Most people think the Andromeda Strain has slow paciing, but I really like it. Is it slower than AS?

What the heck is this site? I was looking around and it seems to have a lot of LGBT stuff. I was hoping to maybe put together a big order for some blind buy sci-fi, but that seems to be the only one available.
Old 10-09-15, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I LOVE the Tarkovsky Solaris!
Me too!
Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Most people think the Andromeda Strain has slow paciing, but I really like it. Is it slower than AS?

What the heck is this site? I was looking around and it seems to have a lot of LGBT stuff. I was hoping to maybe put together a big order for some blind buy sci-fi, but that seems to be the only one available.
I don't think it's slower than AS but I've not seen that one in decades (I saw it during the original release and didn't like it).

First Run has released lots of "niche" and obscure type stuff. They had one of the early releases of A Boy and His Dog, while a good print is also non-anomorphic. That seems to be their mantra (or was on many earlier releases) - release in OAR but non-anamorphic (for who knows what reason).