DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official VCI/ROAN/ALPHA Bargain Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-16, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Re: Official VCI/ROAN/ALPHA Bargain Thread

Originally Posted by Brian T
VCI launched a 'Tax Refund Sale' today, with 50% off site wide (excluding the VCI Exclusives, of course ). Not as good as their Black Friday 60%, but perhaps 50% is the new norm? Code is REFUND16.
I just realized this place is a few miles away from me, I wonder if they would give me an additional discount if I picked up in store?...
Old 04-19-16, 10:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

..I picked up the bluray of "the city of the dead"...a great deal
Old 06-17-16, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 615 Likes on 453 Posts

Another "Flash Sale" from VCI started just now. Mixed bag on the prices. Some of this stuff was $3.99 in the big clearout late last year but there are some others worth noting, and shipping is now free over $25.

https://www.vcientertainment.com/ind...h=82&limit=100

Becoming Charley Chase (4 discs) - $9.00
British War Collection Vol. 2 (2 discs, 4 films) $8.00
Forgotten Noir Vol. 1 (3 discs) - $9.00
Forgotten Noir Vol. 4 (3 discs) - $9.00
Kenneth More Collection (4 discs) - $12.00
Zorro's Cliffhanger Collection (3 discs, pressed) - $9.00

Also noticed a few serials on pressed DVDs for $5.99 - $7.50 (Holt of the Secret Service, Jack Armstrong etc.). Those may end up going MOD eventually.
Old 06-18-16, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the 411 Brian T! I grabbed a lot of stuff the last time(which lasted awhile) hard to find a rhyme or reason to some titles on it, and not on it...some Jessie Matthews films are, some aren't
I wanted to mention last time perhaps her most interesting film, Friday the Thirteenth....
(It's not on sale this time, but if it is, or if this blurb intrigues you, get it, very different film from 1933, that really makes you wonder who will, and who won't survive!)

Lightning strikes a crane on Friday the thirteenth. Swerving to avoid it, a bus crashes into a shop killing two passengers. The film flashes back twenty-four hours earlier and tells the stories of each a passenger on the bus.

Sonnie Hale, Jessie Matthews
Old 06-29-16, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Thanks Brian T! I picked up a few titles I've had my eye on which haven't been this low before. Mainly the I Married Joan titles, but I also snagged Jr. G-Men of the Air, Tailspin Tommy, and You Know What Sailors Are (mainly for Donald Sinden). They came in a couple of days ago.

THEN - I checked the site to find they've removed some and added some. I'd wanted Volume 3 of My Little Margie which wasn't included before. It now is along with a few others so I picked up:

My Little Margie V3 - $7.50
PSYCHOTRONICA COLLECTION 1 - $9.00 - a *great* bargain! This has the first 3 volumes of the Psychotronica Collection films for *less* than any single volume. I only wanted The Mermaids of Tiburon volume but this was less than that one title.
BETTY HUTTON Double Feature - $3.99 - A pair of her films: The Perils of Pauline and The Stork Club.
MANDRAKE, THE MAGICIAN - $7.00 - The Serial (pressed).
Old 06-29-16, 11:02 PM

A pair of her films: The Perils of Pauline and The Stork Club.

Bob, when you check those out, can you say what the quality of these P.D. titles is like?
Thanks!
Old 06-30-16, 08:11 AM

I'm unable to link to the actual page but VCI is having one of their 60 percent off MSRP price sales now through 7/5.

It includes all titles except Coming Soon, VCI Exclusives and Flash Sale items.

Code is JULY60.
Old 07-03-16, 07:37 AM
Defunct Account

Beware the current VCI sale, they seem to be having problems with the coupon. Yesterday I had a title that was not on the excluded list, but the discount was not being applied to it. I shot VCI a quick note and this morning it was fixed, but now the code is only taking 30% off of the SRP. (I was sure to calculate the discount on the higher, SRP rather than their 'web price' too.) I've pinged them again, but it's a bit disconcerting that they can't apply a coupon properly. (And I wonder how many people aren't doing the math in their heads and just assuming it's correct.)
Old 07-08-16, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by berigan
A pair of her films: The Perils of Pauline and The Stork Club.

Bob, when you check those out, can you say what the quality of these P.D. titles is like?
Thanks!
I did some quick spot checks (it's SF/Fantasy Challenge month after all...). Both films are on a single disc. Extras include the trailer for The Stork Club and a Herman the Mouse cartoon, "Naughty But Mice" in a fairly good color print. It has a bit of "drift" due to sprocket hole damage (which is hardly noticeable) and a few scratches and dirt specks but overall is good with very good color. I've not seen one of these in decades so I watched it in its entirety.

The Stork Club is a fairly good BW print, although a bit soft. It exhibits some sprocket hole damage (floating image) but it's not too distracting. Contrast is mostly good and there are the typical small scratches and bits of dirt you would expect on a older non-restored print. Again, it's not bad and the print is more than watchable. Audio is good with no obvious issues other than a occasional "pop" and occasional low level noise. Like the video it's more than acceptable.

The Perils of Pauine fares a bit better. The color is good, but not great with a bit too much red at times and occasionally looking slightly washed out (but not too badly). Basically the color "breaths" but slowly enough that it's not noticable. Black levels are just a bit crushed at times but overall not that bad. Otherwise contrast is fairly good. Considering this was filmed in Technicolor the print is actually lacking colorwise, but it's also fairly typical for non-restored product from this era and looks better than most PD titles. It's better than anything you'd see on a Mill Creek PD compilation. The image is steady and has few dirt/specks/scratches. Audio is good with little noise. I didn't hear any "pops" on the sections I sampled. Considering the status and price it, too, is more than acceptable.

After the quick spot checks I'm more than pleased with the quality, especially at the $3.99 sale price.

That Psychotronica collection is the 3 discs in a standard size amaray keep case. I was expecting 3 cases in a box/slip case but this is much better as it'll take up far less room on the shelf!

Last edited by BobO'Link; 07-08-16 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-09-16, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

I have the Roan version of Pauline. Don't think I've ever watched it.
Old 07-11-16, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I did some quick spot checks (it's SF/Fantasy Challenge month after all...). Both films are on a single disc. Extras include the trailer for The Stork Club and a Herman the Mouse cartoon, "Naughty But Mice" in a fairly good color print. It has a bit of "drift" due to sprocket hole damage (which is hardly noticeable) and a few scratches and dirt specks but overall is good with very good color. I've not seen one of these in decades so I watched it in its entirety.

The Stork Club is a fairly good BW print, although a bit soft. It exhibits some sprocket hole damage (floating image) but it's not too distracting. Contrast is mostly good and there are the typical small scratches and bits of dirt you would expect on a older non-restored print. Again, it's not bad and the print is more than watchable. Audio is good with no obvious issues other than a occasional "pop" and occasional low level noise. Like the video it's more than acceptable.

The Perils of Pauine fares a bit better. The color is good, but not great with a bit too much red at times and occasionally looking slightly washed out (but not too badly). Basically the color "breaths" but slowly enough that it's not noticable. Black levels are just a bit crushed at times but overall not that bad. Otherwise contrast is fairly good. Considering this was filmed in Technicolor the print is actually lacking colorwise, but it's also fairly typical for non-restored product from this era and looks better than most PD titles. It's better than anything you'd see on a Mill Creek PD compilation. The image is steady and has few dirt/specks/scratches. Audio is good with little noise. I didn't hear any "pops" on the sections I sampled. Considering the status and price it, too, is more than acceptable.

After the quick spot checks I'm more than pleased with the quality, especially at the $3.99 sale price.

That Psychotronica collection is the 3 discs in a standard size amaray keep case. I was expecting 3 cases in a box/slip case but this is much better as it'll take up far less room on the shelf!
Thanks for the in-depth info on both films! It can be frustrating judging a film that has fallen into PD hell if the quality is so sub-par , you can't tell if it's good or bad...
Old 11-22-16, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 615 Likes on 453 Posts

VCI's 'Thanksgiving Sale' is now on. Everything except Exclusives (as usual) and 'Lost and Found.'

TURKEY60 at checkout. Free shipping over $25.

Most of their Blu-Rays appear to be included, all in the $8 - $12 range.
Old 11-25-16, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have no idea how the quality compares to the oop superb Roan, but VCI has a similar Karloff Mr Wong box for $5.00 today!

https://www.vcientertainment.com/Bla...ete-Collection
Old 03-17-18, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does anyone know if the newer VCI/Sprocket releases are pressed or burned?
Old 03-17-18, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the "new" Topper 3 film DVD release. It's pressed.
Old 03-18-18, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I emailed them. Kit Parker wrote back within 12 hours & basically said that some older titles were burned & I was welcome to write him before any purchase. I responded that it would helpful if their "Sprocket" website would state that info for each disc.
Old 03-19-18, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the "new" Topper 3 film DVD release. It's pressed.
Same here.
Old 04-28-18, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are more dvd's than blu, but there are some blu's. I don't know which are burned & which are pressed. the 50% off is off the already discounted price. Only valid on "fulfilled by Amazon" titles. They apply the free ship on $25 BEFORE the 50%.

It appears they are terminating their relationship with Amazon, as titles are very low quantity.

The discount shows up in the FINAL page of your shopping cart, just before you select finalize order.

http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001x74Hw...X31eTVT0_nmw==

I bought:

DVD
Chu Chin Chow (this APPEARS to be a 3 dvd or dvd-r set)

Blu
The Prowler [Blu-ray] (there was a note that "this has a 29% lower return rate than similar items" so it may be burned)
Night Visitor, the (blu-Ray)

Total with tax & free ship:
$22.49

Quantities are so low that I really hope Amazon's database is 100% accurate re: quantities

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 04-28-18 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-29-18, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can check whether or not a title is DVD-R by going to their site:

https://www.vcientertainment.com

I picked up a couple that are - but I placed the orders before I checked. Now I have to decide if the prices on those two are low enough to keep them...
Old 04-29-18, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WARNING: Amazon charged me for all 3 items, & only shipped 1. All 3 pages have been completely removed from Amazon. When I ordered, the amount of remaining stock was posted on all 3. I would think Amazon would have an accurate database of current stock numbers; they must have super expensive real time inventory tracking, right...? This sort of thing seems to happen a lot for me with Amazon. I'm wondering if Prime members get pushed agead of folks ike me even if the ordered after I did?

I contacted Amazon & they said they will get more; & ship a couple weeks late; but I am concerned based on the original email that stated this was a final clearance sale & hinted that VCI/Sprocket was no longer going to use "Fulfilled by Amazon". That appeared to be the entire purpose of the sale.

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 04-29-18 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-01-18, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The above was resolved; the issue was mostly a poorly trained Amazon cs rep in India..........

The sale is over. And the Amazon VCI store is empty. My original guess that VCI was severing relations with Amazon appears to have been correct. I also suspect they'll go back to selling on their own website. Hope they're not shutting down; they are showing new releases, so it's unlikely.

So far their website hasn't been updated (it still directs buyers to Amazon).