Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Old 12-02-11, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

I hit up the two Torrance stores on PCH. Not much at the one farther west, both had a couple of TV sets but only a couple like The Cleaner, but the one between Western & Crenshaw had 2 each of,

Battle Of Great Britain (2 Disc Collectors Edition) $5
The Great Escape (2 Disc Collectors Edition) $5

I definitely wanted to grab Great Escape, but all 4 DVDs had the re-shrinkwrapped look rather than the factory sealed look, which I'm not a fan of. I know that sometimes those are new, but I've gotten too many used dvd's being passed off as new to want to buy those unless I have to.
Old 12-02-11, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My most surprising find was Errol Morris' documentary Vernon, Florida for $1.88. I picked up The Great Escape 2 disk edition $5, Pontiac Moon $3 (good 80's cheese), Tropic Thunder 2 disk directors cut for $5 it was one of those white clear cases, Prizzi's Honor $3.
Old 12-02-11, 11:13 PM

Sorry Wrong Number (Burt Lancaster)

Had almost given up hope on ever finding a copy of this at Big Lots
Old 12-03-11, 12:19 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

A small restock of $3 titles at the NoHo store on Vineland Ave. A few I remember:

SNL Eddie Murphy
SNL Tom Hanks
On Golden Pond
King Solomon's Mines (Patrick Swayze)
Old 12-03-11, 12:57 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rexxriot
Yeah, Heroes is regularly $9.99 at Target, so why pay $10 at Big Lots?
For one, Big Lots has a rewards program that many of us use.
If you find it at Big Lots, most likely you won't pass it up on the chance that Target will have it for a PENNY cheaper.
Old 12-03-11, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by supermike07
For one, Big Lots has a rewards program that many of us use.
If you find it at Big Lots, most likely you won't pass it up on the chance that Target will have it for a PENNY cheaper.
That's true about the rewards program. If you're gonna pay the same at either store, might as well buy them at Big Lots for that. However, Target has had the Heroes sets on sale for $8.99, plus you could use the Red Card to take off 5%. Sure, it's only a few dollars difference, but I don't like to pay anymore than I have to.

But perhaps most important of all is that I can check a Target store's inventory before I go. With Big Lots, you never know what you'll find. You could hit several stores before finding one copy of Heroes. At $6 a season, it might be worth it to go hunting. At $10, it's really not worth the effort.

Of course, once I saw that Heroes was regularly $10 at Target, I've been waiting for them to hit $5 before I grab them.
Old 12-03-11, 10:54 AM

Hmmm looks like the Big Lots trade thread should being seeing some action again!
Old 12-03-11, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Coupon question:

on the $10 coupons, does anyone know if several can be used on the same purchase? I have 3 left & only about a week to use them.
Old 12-03-11, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

^No. You must use each separately. But you *can* use them all in a single trip using each on a separate purchase.
Old 12-03-11, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
There is an amazing amount of stuff that doesn't sell as well as studios would want. I don't think BB lost any money (BL has had TV sets for $3), unless they lost it in the shipping.
I've certainly been surprised based on what I've seen in just a few months of regularly visiting this site. When I was wondering about the possibility of BB losing money then I was also taking into account the shipping, handling, warehousing and shelf space devoted to some of these Sets. I have zero idea what the Studios want in compensation, but I would imagine it's more than a few cents [idk maybe half a dollar, maybe one, maybe two?], then taking into account all of the shipping/handling/opportunity costs then at best I wouldn't imagine anyone's getting rich off DVD's so cheap and it seems like the potential is there for them to possibly lose a bit. But again, I admit that I don't ultimately know.
Old 12-03-11, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Upon my trip to the BL at Crenshaw & Rosecrans I did see...

9+ copies of Star Trek Final Frontier & Nemesis 2-Disc Editions
8 (or more) combined copies of Surface and The Cleaner
7th Heaven S9
6 copies of the original Producers
5th Season of Hawaii 5-0
4th and 3rd Seasons of JAG
2nd Season of Hogan's Heroes (and 2 of the Battle of Great Britain 2 Disc Collectors Edition)
And a S1 of Sabrina in the Tower Display by the Front.
Old 12-03-11, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mr Articulate
Hmmm looks like the Big Lots trade thread should being seeing some action again!
Do people really trade that much? I'm genuinely wondering, as it seems like it would add a few bucks to any of these DVDs to mail them and then the deals wouldn't be nearly as good?
Old 12-03-11, 10:08 PM

Went to the Newnan GA big lots for the first time in months(and found out the only Hastings Books and Music store in Ga closed a few months ago ) and while they had a TON of DVDs very few of interest to me. I only saw a few $1.88 DVDs like The Organization(Sidney Poitier) Body & Soul (Leon Issac Kennedy version) Tried to make a dash to the store in Carrollton GA (only store kinda sorta nearby, 25 miles away) but doing this at night, an hour before it closed was a big mistake. Mapquest and missing road signs let me down and never got to it. Double

But, today was another day, and went to the Griffin store I was at for Black Friday. Expected nothing but they had many (150 +?) $1.88 dvds still. Grabbed "A Small Circle of Friends(Brad David, Karen Allen) Grissom Gang (Kim Darby, never even heard of it before) Jeremy (Robby Benson-other never heard of it before film) Mademoiselle (Jeanne Moreau) Producers Deluxe Edition(1968) I Bury the Living (Richard Boone) T3 (never saw it, and like so many films, I saw it at $1.88 and $5) A Fish Called Wanda SE. And of course many more I can't think of that I can't recall. but many I've never seen or heard of. Someone grabbed Roadhouse from me , but considering I had dozens of DVDs in my arms, can't be too greedy about what I missed.
Haven't seen the $10 sets yet, but hey had some $6 Odd Couple S2(as did Griffin store, only tv show I saw there) some Cannon S 1 v2, One season of JAG (s3 which I got) and 3 seasons of 90210 (s1, s2, and s4 , grabbed the last two seasons)
I have to say, at first it looked like it was going to be a pretty dull Christmas season at first has turned pretty interesting, IMO.
Old 12-03-11, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went to Big Lots today and there nice hauls there and include some of DVD for $1.88 title but it only 2 title found and pick up Semi-Tough (1977 with Burt Reynolds) and A Bucket of Blood (1959 with Dick Miller) (studio by MGM DVD)

also got:

Die Another Day (2-disc) (2002)
The Graduate (Special Edition) (1967)
Semi-Tough (1977) - $1.88
A Bucket of Blood (1959) (MGM) - $1.88
Old 12-04-11, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by snydar
I hope that version of Star Trek: First Contact makes it to central Florida. I still need that one as well as Search for Spock (recently spoted at BL) and STTMP.
Saw "Star Trek: First Contact" at the No Ho store. None of those other titles pictured, but several copies of STFC
Old 12-04-11, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
When I was wondering about the possibility of BB losing money then I was also taking into account the shipping, handling, warehousing and shelf space devoted to some of these Sets.
Keep in mind that BB also buys new DVD's in very large quantities (sadly, not as large as they used to...) which I suspect gives them bargaining power with the studios. The conversation might go, "we will buy xxxxx copies of X-Men First Class, the new Glee season, the new House season, etc. in exchange for a really good deal on some older TV sets that we can use for BF promos". BL doesn't have that kind of leverage. But of course, I'm just guessing, too.

In other news, the local BL store is keeping up with everybody else, with most of the same movies and $6/$10 TV sets that others are mentioning. One exception: the holiday DVD's (Elf, It's a Wonderful Life, etc.) have yet to appear. Is anybody else also not seeing them?
Old 12-04-11, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pearl St Tacoma Wa did get the $10 boxes & a small $3 assortment. Nothing that hasn't been reported already.
Old 12-04-11, 04:37 PM

Huge new assortments.. Way too many to mention.

I saw Heroes S1, All My Three Sons S2, House S1, Star Trek (all 3 fan favorites), etc.

I got Sgt Bilko S1 for $10 and That's Entertainment V2 for $3.

The selection was actually decent,- I just have a hard time justifying $10 for anything from BL. But Sgt Bilko was on my 'must have' list and they only had one copy, so I splurged.

The $5 section wasn't bad.. at $3 I probably would have bought some...

I probably won't go back for awhile until the next sale.
Old 12-04-11, 09:50 PM

Couple of new box sets floating around at the Clementon, NJ store:

I Love Lucy S1, S2
Heroes S1
Streets of San Francisco S1V1
Hotel S1
Jericho S2
Star Trek Fan Collective: Time Travel
Reaper S1
Secret Diary of a Call Girl S1

Also, some new Blu-rays--nothing too impressive at $8 each:

District 9 (Blu-ray Essentials slip)
The Patriot (Blu-ray Essentials slip)
The Fifth Element (un-remastered release, I think)
Ghostbusters
Donnie Brasco
Ultraviolet (theatrical release)
Vantage Point

Last edited by deet; 12-04-11 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-05-11, 07:27 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I wish I knew why our BigLots never gets any of the good TV sets I see mentioned in here. I'm still looking for Surface but have yet to find it or any other decent TV sets in NE Ohio or Western PA. What the hell??? -kd5-
Old 12-05-11, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

These days $8 is too much for 2nd tier BR's. The prices have dropped so fast on BR's, that the usual discounters can't keep up. I feel sorry for any retailer with a large BR inventory older than 6 months; they're going to lose a ton of money.
Old 12-05-11, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by deet
Couple of new box sets floating around at the Clementon, NJ store:

I Love Lucy S1, S2
Heroes S1
Streets of San Francisco S1V1
Hotel S1
Jericho S2
Star Trek Fan Collective: Time Travel
Reaper S1
Secret Diary of a Call Girl S1

Also, some new Blu-rays--nothing too impressive at $8 each:

District 9 (Blu-ray Essentials slip)
The Patriot (Blu-ray Essentials slip)
The Fifth Element (un-remastered release, I think)
Ghostbusters
Donnie Brasco
Ultraviolet (theatrical release)
Vantage Point
Can anyone else confirm Jericho season 2 ???
Old 12-05-11, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

^I saw it today along with:

Sgt. Bilko: The Phil Silvers Show - First Season
Dave's World - The First Season
Diagnosis Murder - The Complete 1st Season
Rawhide - The Second Season, Vol. 1
Rawhide - The Second Season, Vol. 2
My Three Sons - Season One, Vol. 1
My Three Sons - Season One, Vol. 2
My Three Sons - Season Two, Vol. 1
The Lucy Show: The Official First Season
The Lucy Show: The Official Second Season
The Lucy Show: The Official Third Season
Star Trek Fan Collective - Time Travel
Star Trek Fan Collective - Captain's Log

The Beverly Hillbillies: The Official Second Season
The Fugitive - Season One, Vol. One
The Fugitive - Season One, Vol. Two
Heroes - Season One
Family Ties - The Complete First Season
House, M.D.: Season One
Numb3rs - The Complete First Season
CSI (regular series - one season but I don't recall which)

There were a few others I don't recall. The store here has a small waterfall (3x4) with about 50 titles total. Most had 2 copies, a few had only 1 and Heroes-S1 had 4.
Old 12-05-11, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by kd5
I'm still looking for Surface but have yet to find it or any other decent TV sets in NE Ohio or Western PA.
FWIW, I saw at least one copy of Surface at the Lancaster, PA BL over the weekend. Your lack of selection seems especially odd given that BL's home office is in Columbus.
Old 12-05-11, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
It does. That is why I rarely trade 1-for-1. I've done 5 or 6 (or more) at a time. for single DVDs will add 30-50 cents / DVD. For sets, it's probably double that. But the gas, time and availability sometimes makes this your best option.
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the tips!

If I can manage to save up a little extra money then trying to sell/trade in that way seems like it would be a good thing, to try to help out a couple of people in the community with fewer stores in their area.

I've listed some stuff in the BL trade thread, but there is so little I really want. I'd like to complete my Charmed and H-5-0 sets, but there was not that much listed as available that I really wanted.
I can relate. It seems like, at least for now, I'm very fortunate in that my area has a lot of stores and there hasn't been anything that I really wanted that I haven't been able to find. The only thing that Southern California missed out on that I'm aware of was Samantha Who? S2, but that wasn't a very big want for me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.