Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Old 11-23-11, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Once again I was TOLD that the $6 tv sets are not supposed to go out until opening tomorrow.
I just wonder if I go at say 7:30 AM, will they remember at most stores to put them out?? You would think there would be a daily memo saying that, and the stores that paid attention to not putting them out before the ad would put them out early...just would hate to make long treks to stores only to find out what TV series?? In the ad?? Gosh, we didn't get them then...
Old 11-23-11, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
The ones at Big Lots are these:

Awesome! Thank you. I need that Search For Spock as well as STTMP and First Contact.

I was going to ask if these were $3 or $5 but at this point if I can find them price is irrelevant.

Saw lots of the titles mentioned here at the Sanford FL store on 17/92 and Lake Mary Blvd. Last year they put out the TV sets early. No such luck this year. Hopefully I can get a Wild Wild West season 4 as I missed that last year, Also looking for some Hawaii Five-O and Mission Impossible if that series shows up again.

In the $5 assortment that had Bee Movie,Twister and others I saw Ivanhoe with Robert Taylor. I will probably hate myself for passing it up but I have a feeling that at $5 it will be around when I go back.

Last edited by snydar; 11-23-11 at 10:27 PM. Reason: added something
Old 11-23-11, 10:45 PM

I finally found the Ren and Stimpy today so don't give up on it surfacing in your area because I thought that ship had long sailed and was shocked to find it amongst a bunch of the same old same old titles this morning.

Originally Posted by Manzana
Finally made it to a more distant BL yesterday where they had a lot of DVDs. Sadly the elusive Donald in Mathmagic Land and Ren & Stimpy the Lost Episodes are never around. I'd probably faint if I saw them. I did see Samantha Who S1 which I think people recommended. I forgot if other BLs had more than just S1?

I also saw several other titles people had talked about, but in the end I just got Samantha Who S1 October Road S1, Kidnapped Complete Series, and a Flash of Genius at $3 each. Now time to read reviews (when I get time between now and the return deadline in January) to see if the reviews sound like they're worth keeping.

Also, I haven't compared the list of $6 box sets posted above for BF, but on the surface it sounds almost identical to last year's, so if I don't make it to BL until very late on BF and nothing is left, I won't be too saddened because it was probably the same old same old sets I got last time.
Old 11-24-11, 07:11 AM

The $6 TV sets here in Ohio contained mostly "Charmed", 'Walker, Texas Ranger" and yes...more "Twin Peaks" Season 2 sets.
I did buy "JAG" Seasons 2, 3 and 4 as well as the 2nd season of "Hawaii 5-0".
Old 11-24-11, 09:30 AM

I went to the Bolingbrook, IL. store 4 minutes after they opened up. Not a single advertised TV on DVD title in stock.
I wasn't the only one looking for them either, at least 2 other people asked about them and all the cashier said was, "They're over in those bins".
Sorry, but they aren't.
Needless to say I walked out empty handed.
Old 11-24-11, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by DouglasRobert
I went to the Bolingbrook, IL. store 4 minutes after they opened up. Not a single advertised TV on DVD title in stock.
I wasn't the only one looking for them either, at least 2 other people asked about them and all the cashier said was, "They're over in those bins".
Sorry, but they aren't.
Needless to say I walked out empty handed.

The same thing happened locally at one of our stores. No $6 TV sets! The manager gave me a rain check and took my phone number. She said she may get more on Tuesday and will call me and give me first crack on the shipment.
Old 11-24-11, 09:48 AM

Didn't see most of the t.v. sets mentioned when I went last night but I did find Friday the 13th the series season 2 which I missed last time and got the only one this time. Also picked up a complete series called Surface, just for the heck of it.
Old 11-24-11, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Pretty lame BF at BL this year, although those $189.99 recliners were very comfy, I just don't have the room right now.
Old 11-24-11, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Very slim here too. Only a pair of *small* waterfall displays (2 levels each) with:

Charmed - S3, S4, S5, S6, Final Season (1 copy of all seasons except S1 & S3 - there were *2* copies of each of those)
The Odd Couple - S2 (1 copy)
Bosom Buddies - S1 (1 copy)
MacGyver - S1 (2 copies)
Jag - S2, S3, S4 (1 each - a lady picked these up as soon as I left the display)
Walker, Texas Ranger - S4, S5, S6, Final (1 of each except Final which had 2 - Either someone purchased S1 & S2 or I misread later seasons as these 2)
The Cleaner - S1 (2 copies)
The Andy Griffith Show - S2 (1 copy)
Twin Peaks - S2 (6 copies - in addition to the 3-4 left over from last year)
Hawaii 5-0 - S2 (1 copy)
Beverly Hills 90210 - S1 (1 copy)
Sabrina the Teenage Witch - S1 (2 copies)
Perry Mason - 50th Anniversary Edition (1 copy)
7th Heaven - S1 (2 copies)

I got there about 7:15 and got Charmed (S3, S4, S5, S6, Final), The Odd Couple - S2, and Bosom Buddies - S1. These were *not* with the other DVDs but in the center of one of the larger isles. I was apparently the first person to find them and a woman came up while I was looking.
Old 11-24-11, 11:21 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Here's a complete list of all the different titles I saw:

Odd Couple S2
CSI NY S2
Bosom Buddies S1
MacGyver S1, S5, S6, S7
Walker Texas Ranger S4, S5, S6, The Final Season
Jag S2, S3, S4
Beverly Hills 90210 S1, S2, S4
Charmed S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6, S8
The Cleaner S1
Petticoat Junction S1
7th Heaven S1, S3
CSI S1, S3
CSI Miami S1, S3, S4, S5
Friday the 13th: The Series S2
Hawaii Five-0 S1 thru S6
Perry Mason 50th Anniversary Collection
Hogan's Heroes S2
Sabrina the Teenage Witch S1

Last edited by Surfinhank; 11-24-11 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-24-11, 11:30 AM
Cool New Member

Operation Petticoat S1? - This has never been released on DVD. Typo perhaps?

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
Here's a cmoplete list of all the different titles I saw:

Odd Couple S2
CSI NY S2
Bosom Buddies S1
MacGyver S1, S5, S6, S7
Walker Texas Ranger S4, S5, S6, The Final Season
Jag S2, S3, S4
Beverly Hills 90210 S1, S2, S4
Charmed S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6, S8
The Cleaner S1
Operation Petticoat S1
7th Heaven S1, S3
CSI S1, S3
CSI Miami S1, S3, S4, S5
Friday the 13th: The Series S2
Hawaii Five-0 S1 thru S6
Perry Mason 50th Anniversary Collection
Hogan's Heroes S2
Sabrina the Teenage Witch S1
Old 11-24-11, 11:37 AM

Unfortunately I can't get out to my Big Lots until after 2. Had too much other stuf going on this morning to go.

Hopefully they will still have JAG if I can go by, but I am doubting it. If they would drop the price on the whole series or at least each individual season...
Old 11-24-11, 01:21 PM

Brooklyn Center (MN) a big zilch at 10:30 this morning. Three Charmed boxes left. This is why my BL visits are now semi-annual. What a waste of time...
Old 11-24-11, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by thetoonguy
Operation Petticoat S1? - This has never been released on DVD. Typo perhaps?
He probably meant Petticoat Junction. I don't even know what Operation Petticoat is... well, there may have been a movie by that name (with Rock Hudson or Frank Sinatra) but I don't know about a series. Not enough time to look it up the details who was in it now.
Old 11-24-11, 03:26 PM

Hit the Sanford FL (17/92 and Lake Mary Blvd.) store. Pretty much the same TV sets as listed here. Picked up Hawaii Five-O Season 4. Will be loking for season 1 at other locations. This store also put out the $1.88 movies today. It was a waterfall display just like the recent $3 and $5 displays. I almost walked right past it because it has a LOT of the same movies as the $3 and $5 only repriced at $1.88. I did find a few things I hadn't seen. Picked up the Midnight Movie release of Theatre of Blood with Vincent Price and Ralph Baski's Heavy Traffic.
Old 11-24-11, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Seeing the lists, I'm no longer feeling nearly as guilty for sleeping in! In the alarm went off at 6:30 am, & I said i don't think so............. I HAVE to get up tomorrow at 5:30 for the same reason (BL).
Old 11-24-11, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a mini BL run this morning, and hit stores in Lancaster, York, and Hanover. York and Hanover had their TV sets out, but it was the miniature display with the previously mentioned titles, so I passed.

Two disks at Lancaster possibly not mentioned before are The Women (1939) and The Fog SE (1980), in the original green package. But many of these still carry a 2005 release date instead of 2002, and likely have the same contents as the 2005 blue version. I found a 2002 copy in York (double-sided with 4-page booklet and lacking the remake trailer) and also A Fish Called Wanda 2xDVD.

Hanover (being a less-traveled area?) had the best selection of the three, and I bought The Sci-Fi Boys and a belated copy of Dark City: The Director's Cut. I was surprised they had a near-full mini display of Avatar: The Last Airbender, the animated series. This was probably part of the new Nickelodeon shipment mentioned earlier. I recall them selling Book 1, Vols. 1 and 4, Book 2, Vols. 1 and 4, and Book 3, Vols. 1-4. I am a long time anime fan, but not familiar with this show beyond the title.

My only disappointment was not finding It's a Wonderful Life, but maybe that shipment hasn't made it this far east yet? Will likely sleep in on BF.
Old 11-24-11, 07:08 PM
Cool New Member

I went to three Atlanta area stores today and pretty much the same thing. There weren't that many copies left by the time I got there. I saw

Walker, TX Ranger (S 5 6 and Final season),
Beverly Hill 90210 1 and 2
Odd Couple s2,
Bosom Buddies s1
Twin Peaks s 2
The Cleaner s1
Jon Stewart Daily Show???
7th heaven s3
CSI Miami s4
JAG 2,3,4

Last edited by dvdsearch4me; 11-25-11 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-24-11, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I went to Pearl St tonight & saw the same junk TV boxes others have mentioned in a very small 1/2 picked through display. I bought a few so i would have a 20% discount tomorrow (i was at 9 on buzz club).

it's been 2 1/2 hours & so far the web site is NOT acknowledging the purchase. This worries me, as i have had lots of problems with there system & discounts I was SUPPOSED to get the last year.

On the recent Saturday sale, i didn't realize until I'd gotten home that I had got the $2.50 on dvd's rather than the slightly higher 20% off, & I did not get ANY discount on the non dvd parts of my purchase. The total I was ripped off was under $15, so i decided it wasn't worth arguing with store managers about, but it still pisses me off.

Last time I "earned" a 20% discount, it took 2 days to show up on my account after making the 10th purchase.
Old 11-24-11, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The 20% has now showed up. Due to past experiences, I'm printing it out for tomorrow.
Old 11-24-11, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by dvdsearch4me
I went to three Atlanta area stores today and pretty much the same thing. There weren't that many copies left by the time I got there. I saw

Walker, TX Ranger (S 5 6 and Final season),
Beverly Hill 90210 1 and 2,
Odd Couple s2,
Bosom Buddies s1
Twin Peaks s 2
The Cleaner s1
Jon Stewart Daily Show???
7th heaven s3
CSI Miami s4
Which Atlanta area ones? I was maybe going to stop by one in the morning on my way to the gym so just curious.
Old 11-24-11, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found every HAWAII 5-0 Season from 1-6 except for Season 2. Hope I can find it somewhere. Picked up an extra ODD COUPLE S2 if anyone needs it and has HAWAII S2. I know, I know, NO TRADES in this thread!!!! I don't know nothin' bout birthin no babies!
Old 11-25-11, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
The 20% has now showed up. Due to past experiences, I'm printing it out for tomorrow.
M4, I hit 4 stores today, and believe it or not, my 20% off disc. was showing up when I went to store #3!!! Never have they added the discount the same day! Plus I got the $10 off coupons at 3 stores, but they forgot to give me one at the 1st store, the one I spent the most at!

Now, for the ATL store folks....I hit the Fayetteville store at 10 AM, and the small cardboard dump of $6 was already half gone. Still found some charmed, 5-0, etc...there were some Odd Couple S2, but as busy as that new store is, I can't imagine much being left unless they have more in back.

Then Hit the Riverdale store which had a few more in stock, but just ok..in fact, I can't remember what I got there. and the receipt doesn't help.

Went to Stockbridge GA store. Don't know if they have been sitting on some stuff waiting for BF, or what, but they had MANY copies of The Stanley Kramer and Ray Harryhausen sets (pershaps 10 of each) when most other stores have long since sold out of them. Had quite a few of the $5.00 WB sets(I think WB?) with the blue outer cover with 3-4 films. Didn't take pictures. Anyway, while they had some $6 sets, it was the Regular selection that was the best of the 4 stores I saw.

Was dead tired (and I have a cold) but thought I might as well try to hit one more store. Went to Griffin store, they had the most $6 sets still around(perhaps they put it out later, or had 2?) Again, no idea what will be left tomorrow, but they still had CSI NY S2, Walker S5 and S6, shoot, 5-0 S2, etc...also 3 copies of Surface: The Complete Series, and show created by an Law and Order guy that was also $5. Finally saw the Claudette Colbert 75 Ann of Cleopatra , had 3 copies of it, but I was tapped out sadly, and was already putting stuff back even with the 20% off coupon.
Old 11-25-11, 12:29 AM
Cool New Member

Saw mostly the same stuff at the two BL locations in Columbus that I hit up today. Lots of copies of JAG, Walker Texas Ranger, Perry Mason, Twin Peaks and one lone copy of CSI S4. I did pick up Sabrina the Teenage Witch S1 (the only one that I didn't find last year) and seasons 3-6 of Charmed. May have to go back out and see if I can't find S2 tomorrow.
Old 11-25-11, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I went to three BL yesterday. Only one had the TV season sets. The other two said that didn't receive the merchandise. Ran into a guy who drove from Moreno Valley. Same there too, he said.

The San Bernardino (CA) store had a minor selection. I did pick up...

The Odd Couple: S2
Bussom Buddies: S1
A Bridge Too Far: Collector's Edition
Cleopatra: 75th Anniversary Edition
The Great Escape: Special Edition

and

Battle Of Briton which I had to exchange. The replacement was just as bad, disc two instead of one was damaged. Oh well.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.