Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-11, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Waited too late to go to our local Big Lots yesterday. Wanted a lot of the TV titles mentioned earlier, but only came out with the Perry Mason 50th Anniversary set, Bosom Buddies season 1, and Hawaii Five-0 season 4, last copy of each they had. The section had pretty well been picked clean.

DID however find the 2-Disc "The Great Escape" and "National Lampoon's Class Reunion" for $1.88/each.
Old 11-26-11, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by berigan
dvdsearch4me and Slinkster65, thanks for the info! Still can't figure out why stores wouldn't get them unless they did indeed go on sale a week early as I saw in Union City.
I worked at Waldenbooks and Borders, and there would have been hell to pay putting something on sale early. We carefully checked street dates of books, cds, DVDs...Of course, they are both gone now and Big Lots is thriving!
I also hear there is a guy that hit the Fayetteville store yesterday that will literally fill up a shopping cart with DVDs. He also goes to other stores...which might explain why some stores look like they have returned half their inventory!

There weren't many $1.88's left, but found the 2 dvd Fish Called Wanda, a double feature with Return to Me and At First Sight, and Love at Large with Tom Berenger and Elizabeth Perkins.
Wow, a shopping cart full? There was a lot of "old stock" at the one I went to (High school musical stuff, etc). There weren't a ton of $1.88 left that were very intriguing. I have never seen that store put stuff out early (or at least no more than a day early), but there were basically no TV shows left. So I guess they just didn't have much of those come in.
Old 11-26-11, 10:45 AM

I got the new Start Trek movie (widescreen!) for $1.88, and a midnight movie (I bury the Living) for $1.88, for me. For my daughter I got Green Acres "best of" for $1.88.

For the TV seasons, they had Charmed S1-8, and 1 hawaii-50. That was pretty much it.

Then again, I went Friday at 11 am.
Old 11-26-11, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by berigan
I worked at Waldenbooks and Borders, and there would have been hell to pay putting something on sale early. We carefully checked street dates of books, cds, DVDs...Of course, they are both gone now and Big Lots is thriving!
I made the rounds of Fairless Hills, Bustleton, Franklin Mills, Bristol (PA) and Beverly NJ starting at 7 Thursday morning. Everyone had just put out the special display of box sets that morning, essentially all the same assortment. Got 7th Heaven S3 that I've been looking for for a year, Odd Couple, and Hawaii Five-O S2,S4,S6.
My mom talked me in to going to Cherry Hill. When I didn't see the display, I started asking for it and saying how the other 5 stores had their displays. Three clerks were searching, fruitlessly. (It didn't occur to me until long afterwards that someone here had mentioned seeing the box sets days earlier in Cherry Hill.) Then one clerk came chasing after me to give me a 20% off coupon because they did not have the advertised item on the first day of the advertised sale. I know that's a store policy, but I never had anyone offer it before. Very nice of them.
Old 11-26-11, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by barbybrant
Then one clerk came chasing after me to give me a 20% off coupon because they did not have the advertised item on the first day of the advertised sale. I know that's a store policy, but I never had anyone offer it before. Very nice of them.
I was in 2 stores that didn't get any TV sets at all for TG (or at least they believed they didn't. Nobody offered me a 20% off coupon!! Grr!
Old 11-26-11, 01:51 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
I was in 2 stores that didn't get any TV sets at all for TG (or at least they believed they didn't. Nobody offered me a 20% off coupon!! Grr!
Call the corporate office and they will personally mail you out one. At least that's what happened when I called last year. I went to a nearby store and they didn't have any TV dvd box sets. The corporate store said that they didn't send any to that particular store!!! Wow! (Thanks for having me wake up early on Black Friday for nothing! . Also another store put them out early on Thanksgiving last year so when I got there there weren't too many.) No but just call them and be nice and I'm sure they will send you one!
Old 11-26-11, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I went to my nearby BL store in the late morning on BF, and there were just a couple $6 TV seasons mixed in the normal DVD tower. I asked an employee (one who is typically not helpful) where the $6 DVD sets were and she said she had never heard of or seen any. I checked all over without finding a hidden display, so I just picked up some $1.88 DVDs. While I was checking out, I asked a more knowledgeable employee if she knew about the $6 DVD sets and she said that their store received NONE for BF, so she said it was good I didn't wait in line at opening because a lot of people were disappointed. I didn't have the time or energy to drive to other more distant BL stores.

How long is the $6 sale going on for? If it lasts a couple more days I might make it to another store though I doubt anything good would be left by now. Of the stuff people posted, filling in missing Hawaii Five-O seasons would be cool for me.

It would be nice to get a 20% off coupon for going to a store that was deprived of $6 DVD sets. Are they seriously giving those out to people if you call the corporate number (I assume it's somewhere on their web site) who missed these sets or are people just joking?
Old 11-26-11, 04:23 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Manzana
I went to my nearby BL store in the late morning on BF, and there were just a couple $6 TV seasons mixed in the normal DVD tower. I asked an employee (one who is typically not helpful) where the $6 DVD sets were and she said she had never heard of or seen any. I checked all over without finding a hidden display, so I just picked up some $1.88 DVDs. While I was checking out, I asked a more knowledgeable employee if she knew about the $6 DVD sets and she said that their store received NONE for BF, so she said it was good I didn't wait in line at opening because a lot of people were disappointed. I didn't have the time or energy to drive to other more distant BL stores.

How long is the $6 sale going on for? If it lasts a couple more days I might make it to another store though I doubt anything good would be left by now. Of the stuff people posted, filling in missing Hawaii Five-O seasons would be cool for me.

It would be nice to get a 20% off coupon for going to a store that was deprived of $6 DVD sets. Are they seriously giving those out to people if you call the corporate number (I assume it's somewhere on their web site) who missed these sets or are people just joking?

Yes! At least that's what happened last year when I said told them. The closest BL to my house didn't have ANY copies and the sales associates had no idea what I was talking about. The next closest store put the box sets out a day or so too early! I went to maybe a dozen plus stores last year. It's just the luck of the draw really. Last year there was a wider selection.

As far as how long it will last, I asked the same thing. The thing is if it has a $6 sticker on it they won't change it. It will be $6. The only thing is last year when they sent out a new batch they changed the price to $10. That was around Christmas time and later. If you want the $6 deal shop around and check the trade forum thread. Last year many of us bought items in our areas and traded them by mail because it really was a YMMV sort of deal. Hope that helps!

Here ya go:

Big Lots Corporate Offices:
300 Phillipi Road
Columbus, Ohio 43228-5311
Phone: (614) 278-6800

Last edited by dvdsearch4me; 11-26-11 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-26-11, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add the Sherman Way, North Hollywood, CA store to those who apparently did not get any of the $6.00 sets in. I was there this morning and didn't see a single one, not even TWIN PEAKS S2, and when I asked about them the clerk said he didn't know, but that maybe they had sold out on them. Highly doubtful that at least one or two stragglers wouldn't be hanging around. Their stock of $1.88 titles was also very paltry.

Ironically, the much smaller BL on Vineland in NoHo had plenty of the TV sets when I went there on Thanksgiving, mostly gone by today, but still a nice, though dwindling selection of $1.88 titles.

With the help of a friend and the potential help of another friend I may have gotten the first six seasons of HAWAII 5-0 and then found some of my beloved Midnite Movies this morning. Still need S2 of 5-0 and the original PHIBES since I did find the sequel.
Old 11-26-11, 05:39 PM

Most of my BL is the same 'ol same 'ol but today I found the following for $1.88 each and quite happy about it.

Breakfast at Tiffany's Anniversary Edition
Vernon, Florida
Old 11-26-11, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andy Griffith Show Season Two $6
Beverly Hills 90210 Season Two $6
Old 11-26-11, 11:24 PM

Very, very few of the new box sets at Clementon, NJ, just Charmed S1 and Walker S5 and S6. It's just as well, since the $1.88 DVDs were the best (or at least, the most varied) set in a while:

A Tale of Springtime
Prisoner of the Mountains
Mademoiselle
The Great Escape
Hidden Agenda
24 Hour Party People
Dr. Phibes Rises Again
A Fish Called Wanda
Count Yorga, Vampire
The Wedding Banquet
There Will Be Blood (paper sleeve)
National Lampoon's Movie Madness
Swimming Upstream
My Summer Story aka It Runs in the Family
The Grissom Gang
Lonely Hearts
Green Acres: Farm Favorites
Choose Me
CQ
Class
Everybody Wins
The Indian Runner
Jeremy
The Playboys
The Aviator (Christopher Reeve)
The Extreme Adventures of Super Dave
Return of the Magnificent Seven
Milk
Hey Babu Riba
Love at Large
Perfect Strangers (1984 noir)
The Emperor's New Clothes
Pop & Me

Also, the Net10 phones in a bin next to one of the cashiers were 75% off ($6.25).

The Deptford store had some of the above, as well as:

Heavy Traffic
The Organization
Hi, Mom!
Mad Dog Time
JD's Revenge
Rocky Marciano
Species III
The Adventures of the American Rabbit
Thunderbirds are Go
Thunderbird 6
Out Cold
Attack of the Puppet People/Village of the Giants
Caprica (pilot)
Stargate Atlantis (pilot)

Deptford also had a new set of $3 DVDs (yellow labels):

Hamburger Hill
Planet of the Apes 35th Anniversary set (FULL SCREEN? Come on, son.)
Marley & Me (two disc)
Night at the Museum (two disc)
Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian
Cheaper by the Dozen 2
Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fever Pitch (Curse Reversed edition)
Juno
Jacknife (full screen, but it's the only US release)
The Women
Saturday Night Live: The Best of Adam Sandler
On Golden Pond
Saw IV (theatrical edition)
Crash (not the Cronenberg one, the other one)
What Happens in Vegas
Max Payne (theatrical & unrated cuts)
The X-Files: I Want to Believe (three disc)

Ended up with: The Producers, Strange Invaders/Invaders From Mars, Everybody Wins, Semi-Tough, Theater of Blood, The Indian Runner, Tough Guys Don't Dance (yes, the OH MAN OH GOD OH MAN OH GOD OH MAN film), The Thing With Two Heads, Heavy Traffic, King (miniseries), Fires Within, No Such Thing, Melinda and Melinda ($3), and The Wild Party.
Old 11-27-11, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I went over to the San Bernardino, CA store today about 12:30pm. I was amazed, the cardboard shelves were still full; as if they were put up earlier today. I didn't go on Friday at 6am, I needed my sleep. And I forgot to go later after coming from Best Buy.

Picked up...

No Such Thing (had the insert)
Count Yorga Vampire
I Bury The Living
Theater Of Blood
Attack Of The Puppet People/Village Of The Giants

I must have spent an hour looking at the inventory. When I first got there there were a few people in the store. When I was done, it was a like a flood of folks who came in. Weird.

Man, I remember watching "Village Of The Giants" on Elvira's Movie Macabre back in the day.

Last edited by JohnIan; 11-27-11 at 01:46 AM.
Old 11-27-11, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Someone asked earlier (and I don't recall seeing the answer) if, for instance, you bought $75 worth of stuff, got the $10 coupon, use the $10 coupon, and then later return $20 worth of stuff (still staying over $50)... will you get full value of your $20 worth of returns or are they now pro-rating the $10 coupon somehow? In the past you got full value even if you returned stuff and went under $50. This would helpful to know as I decide which blind buys I want to return.

dvdsearch4me, thanks for the info. I saved it for future use. I'll call them if I get time next week. I suppose if I saw a few other people calling and having success getting the coupon I'd be more inclined, but I guess a 20% off coupon isn't worth a huge amount of work since they have them at least twice a year and I just realized I'm near my 10th purchase anyway.
Old 11-27-11, 03:38 PM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

picked the following $1.88 MGM's in Kingman, AZ - had never seen these titles before - all are recommended B movies:
Attack on the Iron Coast (Lloyd Bridges)
The Grissom Gang
Miracle Mile
The Moderns
The Don is Dead

And 2 World Films series from MGM for $1.88:
A Tale of Springtime
Mademoiselle
Old 11-27-11, 04:25 PM

A few $3 titles at the Cherry Hill, NJ store that I haven't seen before:

That's Entertainment Part II
An Officer and a Gentleman
The Cotton Club
King of New York
Old 11-27-11, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many thanks to Deet for the comprehensive list and all the additions from others who have posted.

So has only the PHIBES sequel been reported or is the original out there? Would have liked to have found that, THEATER OF BLOOD and MIRACLE MILE, but no luck.

Not so long ago DOLLAR TREE got a mess of MGM closeout titles for a buck each. I wonder if that's the next stop for all this MGM clearance?
Old 11-27-11, 04:54 PM
Cool New Member

A few Best of Saturday Night Live $3 titles seem to have snuck onto the shelves, camouflaged by the BF titles. JohnIan above mentioned Best of Adam Sandler. I haven't seen that one, but at the Sepulveda and Vermont store, I saw Best of Tom Hanks, Dan Akroyd and Dana Carvey. Multiples of each, plus some Best of Season, the years of which I do not recall.
Old 11-27-11, 08:21 PM

That $1.88 was a treasure trove of surprises...there was a lot of stuff in there released in the late 80's by Vestron Video and then released on DVD by MGM sometime after the turn of the century.

Between three stores, here are my spoils:

The Great Escape (2-disc)
Stay Hungry (1976--Jeff Bridges/Sally Field)
The Knack..and How to Get It (1965 British cult comedy)
Lovers and Other Strangers (1970)
Smooth Talk (1986--Laura Dern, Treat Williams)
Wish You Were Here (1987-Emily Lloyd--where has she gone after this amazing debut)
Jeremy (1973--Robby Benson)
The Wedding Banquet (1993--Ang Lee directed)
The Producers (2-disc special edition--love this one, hate the Broadway musical)
A Fish Called Wanda (two-disc special edition)

Thought about "Heavy Traffic," should have grabbed "Breakfast at Tiffany's" even if it is an older edition.
Old 11-27-11, 09:12 PM

I'm such an addict.

Gotta get another hit...

Fascination
The Sure Thing (I only saw one copy yesterday. I was lucky to find it again - scratched)
The Thing With Two Heads (another one I first saw on Movie Macabre)
The Graduate: Special Edition (I know I should've, but I've never seen this movie)

I tired looking for "National Lampoon's Class Reunion" I even went to another store, nope.

And YEAH, I second that - "Miracle Mile".
Old 11-27-11, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Had a frustrating experience today.

Went to exchange 3 unopened floaters I bought on BF ($1.88's). Had the receipt.

I went to the store closest to my home, where I've been a customer for years. Had a serious reminder of their employee turnover; there's only 3 people left in that store that I know well, & the cashier gave me major grief about an under $6 exchange on a $100 receipt. The manager on duty was actually from another store but he at least knew me & took care of it.

The cashier's attitude was beyond uncalled for. I also miss knowing most of the people there as I used to & being treated almost like a friend as I used to be by the majority of the employees there.
Old 11-28-11, 09:32 PM

Got It!

The Rialto, CA store had one copy... "Miracle Mile", $1.88

Still no "National Lampoon's Class Reunion".

The store didn't get much $1.88 titles, there were mixed in with the other DVDs.

The disc is mint, no insert.

I was just at IMDb, a poster name Bluesguy (from March 22nd, 2010) replied to the the full screen question...

It is both on the two sides of the DVD that I bought from Wal-Mart.
I know that several titles were re-released with the same bar code numbers as full screen only. These were flipper titles (WS/FS). Off the top of my head, "Idle Hands", "The Forsaken", "Whatever It Takes", "Jawbreakers", "The Thirteenth Floor", "Cruel Intentions 2" and "The Deep" to name a few.

Was "Miracle Mile" originally released as a screen format flipper?
Old 11-28-11, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I went to the store closest to my home, where I've been a customer for years. Had a serious reminder of their employee turnover; there's only 3 people left in that store that I know well, & the cashier gave me major grief about an under $6 exchange on a $100 receipt. The manager on duty was actually from another store but he at least knew me & took care of it.

The cashier's attitude was beyond uncalled for. I also miss knowing most of the people there as I used to & being treated almost like a friend as I used to be by the majority of the employees there.
That blows. What difference does it make *how much* the receipt is for? Plus it's an *exchange* for crying out loud - they shouldn't even need to do any paperwork as long as it's for the same amount in the same department. I hope that manager took care of it *beyond* your exchange and took the cashier to task as well as notifying the regular manager of this breach of store etiquette.
Old 11-29-11, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
That blows. What difference does it make *how much* the receipt is for? Plus it's an *exchange* for crying out loud - they shouldn't even need to do any paperwork as long as it's for the same amount in the same department. I hope that manager took care of it *beyond* your exchange and took the cashier to task as well as notifying the regular manager of this breach of store etiquette.
Nope, the assistant was for some reason scared if he didn't do it 100% by the book he'd get in trouble with the store manager which I found odd as i know the manager quite well.

It was pretty irritating, that's why I posted.
Old 11-29-11, 11:29 AM

I guess the cashier would rather you return more stuff then, say perhaps $100??? Weird. Most of the time I get pretty good customer service, but I have returned a tv show set like Sabrina or Friday the 13th because of rattling (Not floaters but the hinge pins or whatever you call them, breaking off which happened a fair bit last year on the multi disc sets in "regular" sized DVD cases) and first thing a few cashiers want to do in open it, while the seal is still on the top of the case...I sure no one would want it after they distort the case to have a piece fall out showing it's broken inside anyway. But, with all the non legit returns that show up, why bother with someone doing an exchange???

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.