Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-12, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

I've seen the 2-disc of that at some stores.
Old 02-02-12, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Though my Big Lots stores still have plenty of DVDs, I haven't found anything since Black Friday. I went to 2 different stores after Christmas and found nothing, so when they had 20% off everything (last weekend I think) I didn't even bother to go. I let a family member go instead and just buy household supplies at 20% off. I'll wait until I hear some stuff I want show up (which I still often don't find such as Donald in Mathmagicland or Ren & Stimpy Lost Episodes). But on the plus side at least Big Lots is still TRYING to keep up their DVD selection. The last time I walked into 2 Ross stores I just laughed. Instead of a rack with both sides full of 5 or 6 rows each (like in the "good old days") they had less than half of 1 row on 1 side... like maybe 15 or 20 titles. It's pretty obvious Ross has given up on selling DVDs (at least for the time being).
Old 02-02-12, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by oldmovies
I Know That I'm 3 Days Late. I Went On Saturday Used My Membership Card And Got 2 $5 DVDs For $4 Each:
The Breakfast Club (Flashback Edition) - They Also Had "Sixteen Candles" & "Weird Science" Too
& Just For You/Here Comes the Groom (It's A Double Feature Both Starring Bing Crosby And Jane Wyman) Amazon's Price Is 35.95 Plus Shipping, So I Am Really Happy To Find This One For Cheap!
Just For You/Here Comes the Groom is another DVD that was discontinued in Paramount's massive catalog purge in the fall of 2009. For some reason, DVDs from that purge have been slowly coming out over the last several years. John Wayne double features that had been impossible to find new showed up at BL around Christmas last year. Among titles still not seen are:

Anything Goes
When Worlds Collide
War of the Worlds
Three Days of the Condor (DVD and Bluray)
Paramounts John Wayne Centennial Box Sets (Westerns, Adventure, Everything)

Please note if you see any Paramount catalog titles. Its all very strange.
Old 02-02-12, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana
But on the plus side at least Big Lots is still TRYING to keep up their DVD selection. The last time I walked into 2 Ross stores I just laughed. Instead of a rack with both sides full of 5 or 6 rows each (like in the "good old days") they had less than half of 1 row on 1 side... like maybe 15 or 20 titles. It's pretty obvious Ross has given up on selling DVDs (at least for the time being).
I went into several different Marshalls and TJ Maxx stores around the holidays and they had no DVDs either. Maybe they just didn't stock them to make room for seasonal items but even after Christmas when all the spring merchandise was being put out there was still no shelf for DVDs near the front counter. I'm guessing DVDs are out at those chains as well (they're owned by the same company.)

I did find the original "Land of the Lost" complete series box set at a Ross after Christmas but it was $15 so I passed. But yes, their selection was pathetic - maybe 10 total DVDs.
Old 02-03-12, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoeDoakes
Just For You/Here Comes the Groom is another DVD that was discontinued in Paramount's massive catalog purge in the fall of 2009. For some reason, DVDs from that purge have been slowly coming out over the last several years. John Wayne double features that had been impossible to find new showed up at BL around Christmas last year. Among titles still not seen are:

[...]
War of the Worlds
[...]
Assuming you mean the 1953 "Collector's Edition", I recall people mentioning finding it at BL sometime in 2011. I never saw it personally, but got it for $5 at Wal-Mart, probably in 2010.
Old 02-04-12, 12:00 PM

I rediscovered Big Lots a couple of years ago during a sojourn in FL, and found dozens of cool titles. The rest of 2010 wasn't bad, either. But after Black Friday '10, BL has been a waste of time for me. Five or six visits since then, and maybe bought 1 or 2 DVDs. It is peculiar how discount retailers wax and wane like this. My plan is to not go back, unless the buzz is on that some great titles are in the system. It's just not worth the 1-hour round trip.
Old 02-04-12, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another visit to the Niles, IL BL, hoping to snag HELLCATS OF THE NAVY and the Bing Crosby double feature, but nothing. Only new title I saw was a double feature of DIRTY DOZEN Made For TV sequels @ $5.00.
Old 02-04-12, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

I was told to expect at least one more week (next week) of nothing due to the chain's computer system changeover.
Old 02-04-12, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Another visit to the Niles, IL BL, hoping to snag HELLCATS OF THE NAVY and the Bing Crosby double feature, but nothing. Only new title I saw was a double feature of DIRTY DOZEN Made For TV sequels @ $5.00.
Glenn,

No surprise there as that place has absolutely nothing new and went to the Chicago Diversey Avenue store and all they had remaining was My Three Sons S1 V2 and S2 v1, Twin Peaks S2, Lipstick Jungle S1, Nurse Jackie S1, Odd Couple S2, Reaper S2, Hope & Faith S1, Dead Zone S1, Sabrina S3 and a few other ones i can't remember right now. Just pitiful!
Old 02-05-12, 09:53 PM
Cool New Member

Went To My Local Big Lots After Scoring Both Breakfast Club And The Bing Crosby Double Feature And Picked Up:

HELLCATS OF THE NAVY (1957)
& TEXAS CYCLONE (1932) A John Wayne B Western
For $3.00 Each
Old 02-07-12, 08:22 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I found a copy of One Crazy Summer at the Northampton MA store for $3 -- It appears to be OoP.

edit: Now it's in stock. That's odd.

There was an entire shelf of TV shows there as well.

The Pittsfield MA store was also well-stocked. They told me they get new shipments every week -- I've only been in each store once, after seeing the threads on this forum, so I don't know if they just stagnate.

Also $3:
Melinda and Melinda
Punch Drunk Love
Reservation Road
Synecdoche New York
Brotherhood of Blood
The Transporter
Lost Boys: The Tribe
SNL: Best of Tom Hanks
SNL: Best of Dan Aykroyd

Dirty Sanchez was $1. It was pretty vile, but worth it for the barf bag alone!

Last edited by walletboyniac; 02-07-12 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-07-12, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by walletboyniac
I found a copy of One Crazy Summer at the Northampton MA store for $3 -- It appears to be OoP.

edit: Now it's in stock. That's odd.
In stock where? If you mean Amazon, that's not terribly unusual and can depend on just when a title was listed as discontinued. It's currently OOS at Amazon except for MP vendors and even then you'll occasionally see a MP vendor as the "eligible for Prime" source on an OOP title.

One Crazy Summer *is* OOP. See Michael's Movie Mahem - an excellent source for that information.
Old 02-07-12, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rmw650
Glenn,

No surprise there as that place has absolutely nothing new and went to the Chicago Diversey Avenue store and all they had remaining was My Three Sons S1 V2 and S2 v1, Twin Peaks S2, Lipstick Jungle S1, Nurse Jackie S1, Odd Couple S2, Reaper S2, Hope & Faith S1, Dead Zone S1, Sabrina S3 and a few other ones i can't remember right now. Just pitiful!
UPDATE: Went to the Wood Dale, IL locale today and what a dump that place is: only had Hope & Faith S1, Kath & Kim S1, Nurse Jackie S1 and the ever popular Twin Peaks S2 and Drop Dead Zone S1...just awful selections.
Old 02-07-12, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by walletboyniac
Dirty Sanchez was $1. It was pretty vile, but worth it for the barf bag alone!
The funny thing is a while back this waste of plastic, and some other worthless dreck, was bundled with the excellent Hallmark version of Gulliver's Travels. What commonality they had still defies my imagination.

I looked at the bundle as Gulliver's Travels and a pair of DVD cases for $3.
Old 02-08-12, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
In stock where? If you mean Amazon, that's not terribly unusual and can depend on just when a title was listed as discontinued. It's currently OOS at Amazon except for MP vendors and even then you'll occasionally see a MP vendor as the "eligible for Prime" source on an OOP title.

One Crazy Summer *is* OOP. See [...] - an excellent source for that information.
It was on Amazon -- They listed one copy left, "fulfilled by" Amazon. It was $13.99. I had checked Deepdiscount as well, and it's not in their database.

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-13-12, 03:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

2-15-12 ad:

Old 02-13-12, 03:38 PM
Banned

I really hope my store has E.T. next week, I have a 20% off reward to use by the 21st. Nothing else interests me but I'm sure there will be others in-store.

Last edited by mike07; 02-13-12 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-13-12, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

I have heard rumors of a new batch this coming weekend of $3 & $5 (which that add would seem to confirm), followed by some portion of the stores changing their incoming freight days.
Old 02-13-12, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just got back from my local big lots and there was a ton of TV sets I had never seen before at big lots including:

Jersey Shore Seasons 2 and 3
Dynasty Seasons 4 & 5 (Both parts)
Later seasons of Sabrina the Teenage Witch, ER and WEst Wing
Old 02-13-12, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by critterdvd
Just got back from my local big lots and there was a ton of TV sets I had never seen before at big lots including:

Maybe Big Lots will start to finally get some newer sets in as it has been bone dry the last two months time. Hoping this is a good sign.
Old 02-14-12, 01:44 AM
Cool New Member

Went Back To My Local Big Lots, Nothing New But I Did Picked Up:

Weird Science (Flashback Edition) (I Picked Up "The Breakfast Club" Like 2 Weeks Ago, But Not This One) For $5.00
& Private Parts (1972) (Artcover Is Awsome, Plus I Had Already Watched This Movie Awhile Ago) For $3.00

Not A Bad Trip, Planning On Going To A Big Lots Thats 30 Minutes From Where I Live Soon! So Wish Me Luck In Finding Some Rare Gems
Old 02-14-12, 07:02 AM

I went back to 2 stores this past weekend. The Pittsfield MA store was neat and fully stocked. The Northampton MA store was exactly the opposite.

Found these titles that I really enjoyed ($3):

Patton Oswalt-No Reason to Complain
First Snow
The Nines
Old 02-15-12, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by critterdvd

What seasons of ER? Were they priced at $10? -Thanks
Old 02-15-12, 09:26 PM

Is that version of ET the original, enhanced, or both?
Old 02-15-12, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by mitch079
Is that version of ET the original, enhanced, or both?
I'm pretty sure the single disc only has the enhanced version that replaces all the guns with walkie-talkies.

The only way to get the original 1982 version is to buy the OOP 2-disc DVD set right now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.