Deep Discount 25% Sale

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Deep Discount 25% Sale

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-11, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Deep Discount 25% Sale

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
I had the exact same experience, except they never canceled the order -- it's still listed as open -- and the books are now out of print and unavailable everywhere except used.
Try using Alibris.com.

I ran into the same problem earlier this year with a book just published and which had quickly gone out of print. I put it in on Alibris book search and 2 months later, they found me a new copy.
Old 10-31-11, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DD's semi-annual 25% sales used to be the best things going--if you were a rabid DVD collector. I'd routinely spend hundreds of dollars on them. Now DD is strictly an also-ran, a shadow of its former self. Occasionally a good deal comes up. But boy, you really have to hunt for them. I've never had a complaint about DD service, but it's mostly just depressing trying to find deals that are worth ordering. I don't expect anything different this time around. In fairness, though, Amazon US has sucked big time this year, as well. IMO, it's been a crappy year for ordering DVDs online.
Old 10-31-11, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Sondheim
Depends on what you're looking at - a lot (probably most) of their discounted prices are going to be equal to, or higher than Amazon, but a few others are going to be significantly lower. Last time I picked up a few sets that were more than $15 cheaper than they were on Amazon or pretty much any other site, along with some individual DVDs that were $5 or $6 lower than Amazon prices. Mind you, the titles I picked up were pretty obscure (though ones that had been on my wishlist for a long time) - DD almost certainly isn't going to be the best place to pick up most mainstream titles from the major studios, and they're not even going to be the best place to pick up a lot of "arthouse" releases. It's not the all-purpose sale that it used to be, but it can still be a good chance to pick up some random wish list titles from labels that rarely ever go on sale.

This time around, assuming they go on sale and don't have a price increase, I'll probably be getting some Olive Films titles (specifically their two Fassbinder releases), some German films from First Run Features (specifically the second volume of "Anti-Nazi Classics"), and some other random titles like the "Chop Shop/Man Push Cart" combo, "12," and "Winter Soldier" - each of which should be several dollars cheaper than any other site.

So there are still good deals to be found, depending on what you're interested in (and I am well aware that most people wouldn't be interested in most of the titles that I listed.)

On the other hand, I'll never defend their customer service, which does suck - the only good thing I can say about it is that their shipping has significantly improved over the last few months. Heaven help anyone who needs to get an order changed or cancelled or who has some sort of problem with their payment.

I'll still order from them on occasion, but it really is sad to see how much DD has deteriorated in the last few years.
Agreed on this. There are still good deals to be found. I hate that this is going to overlap with the Criterion sale, which is in the same month as Black Friday. It's going to take a lot of willpower for me not to spend a lot of money this month.
Old 10-31-11, 04:25 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
They've done 25% off sales before, 25% off Deep Discount's prices isn't that big of a sale, especially when you have to deal with Deep Discount. -kd5-
Originally Posted by Sondheim
Depends on what you're looking at - a lot (probably most) of their discounted prices are going to be equal to, or higher than Amazon, but a few others are going to be significantly lower.

I guess I should've added "...for the DVDs that I'm interested in." at the end of my sentence. For the DVDs that I'm interested in, comparing Deep Discount's prices with others revealed that 25% Off wasn't enough to entice me to spend my money. -kd5-
Old 10-31-11, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kd5
I guess I should've added "...for the DVDs that I'm interested in." at the end of my sentence. For the DVDs that I'm interested in, comparing Deep Discount's prices with others revealed that 25% Off wasn't enough to entice me to spend my money. -kd5-
We won't know that for certain this time as the sale doesn't start until the 3rd and prices could change by then. They would most likely go higher but you never know.
Old 11-02-11, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Well, since they're using a coupon code this time, maybe it'll be a site-wide sale again instead of making us hunt for the five items that are discounted.
Good point. Here's hoping...
Old 11-02-11, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by illennium
You're right - I forgot that the 25% sale is now on selected titles. I haven't really bought anything from these sales since it was on all or nearly all titles years ago.

Last time the 25% off was on most titles. Those that werent' included were mostly sales titles they didn't want to reprice or what I'm guessing were titles that they may have had legal restrictions from reducing the price on.

In the past, their sales weren't on "all" the titles either. Titles they couldn't discount usually wound up being unavailable for one reason or another for the two weeks of the sale.

The sale is pretty much as good as it used to be, especially considering they went up from 20 to 25% off. What's changed is that the competition is more aggressively discounting selected titles than they used to five years ago. As a result, you're far more likely, if you're patient and look widely enough, to find someone else with a price that's below or close to the DD discounted price than you could five years ago on any particular title in which you might be interested.
Old 11-02-11, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by speedy1961
Try using Alibris.com.

I ran into the same problem earlier this year with a book just published and which had quickly gone out of print. I put it in on Alibris book search and 2 months later, they found me a new copy.
Oh, I've checked Alibris and they have the books -- none for less than $30 used for something that had a $10 cover price.
Old 11-02-11, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
Last time the 25% off was on most titles. Those that werent' included were mostly sales titles they didn't want to reprice or what I'm guessing were titles that they may have had legal restrictions from reducing the price on.

In the past, their sales weren't on "all" the titles either. Titles they couldn't discount usually wound up being unavailable for one reason or another for the two weeks of the sale.
Horsehonkey. Last time hardly anything was on sale -- I remember scrolling through their anime section and finding maybe three items with the sales icon in the first ten pages.

And in the olden days, when they were still a DVD-only store, the only things I ever recall being removed from the store were ADV titles.
Old 11-02-11, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I've usually done pretty well ordering Rifftrax discs during these sales. I hope to get the latest batch pretty cheap with this.
Me too. Sad, though, that is what it has come down to. I used to so look forward and plan for this sale. Reading all the lists of what people ordered, etc.

But, yeah, I'll get a few Rifftraxs.
Old 11-02-11, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

The sale is pretty much as good as it used to be, especially considering they went up from 20 to 25% off.
You are wrong...95% of the titles were discounted in the old days. There were just a handful of independent companies that were not included. The last few sales have nowhere near this many titles discounted. Before, almost every title on my wishlist was discounted and available...the last few sales, only a handful.
Old 11-02-11, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Jaymole
You are wrong...95% of the titles were discounted in the old days. There were just a handful of independent companies that were not included. The last few sales have nowhere near this many titles discounted. Before, almost every title on my wishlist was discounted and available...the last few sales, only a handful.
Yup. You used to have to look hard to stumble over something that wasn't on sale. Then the non-discounted items started to creep up. I never knew there was so much politics and legalities in running a sale until the evolution of these Deep Discount sales.
Old 11-02-11, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by JiM T
If this sale is Mothra, then the B&N Criterion sale is Godzilla.
As in Godzilla always initially seems to have the upper hand but eventually always succumbs to Mothra?

I can't tell if you love DD or just don't know your Godzilla.
Old 11-02-11, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

The sale is pretty much as good as it used to be, especially considering they went up from 20 to 25% off. What's changed is that the competition is more aggressively discounting selected titles than they used to five years ago. As a result, you're far more likely, if you're patient and look widely enough, to find someone else with a price that's below or close to the DD discounted price than you could five years ago on any particular title in which you might be interested.
Used to be DDD everyday price, year round, was 30% off MSRP on all DVD titles. During the big 20% off sale it was 45% off across the board except the few niche companies that were excluded from sale.
Old 11-02-11, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sale as it stands now is a faint shadow of what it used to be. I built a lot of my library on that 45% savings. Now with so little upfront discounts, let alone DEEP ones, plus shipping for small orders and for me a newly added tax charge, I'm more than content to skip these alleged sales and instead spend my time bitching about them here.
Old 11-02-11, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is DDDVD still in business? Haven't bought for them in years. Hope they are diversifying into streaming!
Old 11-02-11, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
The sale as it stands now is a faint shadow of what it used to be. I built a lot of my library on that 45% savings. Now with so little upfront discounts, let alone DEEP ones, plus shipping for small orders and for me a newly added tax charge, I'm more than content to skip these alleged sales and instead spend my time bitching about them here.
Glen, that sale is only worth it for a few titles and such as I used to love those sales in the past and going into their B&M store in Naperville to clean up on this sale, but that store has since long closed and hoping they have most titles eligible for this sale as there's one set I definitely want to have and maybe another DVD but that's about it as I want to watch my coins this holiday season. Hoping you're doing well!
Old 11-03-11, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

False alarm??????

No indication of this sale on their site.
Old 11-03-11, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by marty888
False alarm??????

I tried to place an order and got a notice saying the code won't be active until 10:30 a.m. EST. The good news is none of the items in my wishlist have changed price (yet).
Old 11-03-11, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marty888
False alarm??????

According to some posts at blu-ray.com it's supposed to start at 10:30am EDT today.
Old 11-03-11, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most of the items in my cart just increased in price by 20%. Surprise surprise.

The only one that didn't increase was Mardi Gras Massacre, it's at $12.18 before the discount. Worth a blind buy, anyone?

Also, the Dario Argento Box Set's at $27.18. The only films I want are Phenomena & Tenebre, but the individual DVD prices jumped to ~$15 each.
Old 11-03-11, 09:10 AM
Cool New Member

Dude you guys PLEASE stop supporting this site. The DAY before the fake sale they jack up their prices. The two fassbinder titles I was gonna order went from $13 to $16 since yesterday. Deepdiscount used to be awesome, and I'm almost certain they made a ton of money. Sad to see how dumb they are these days, losing valued customers who spent a truckload of money every year. Their loss....
Old 11-03-11, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by 35MM
I tried to place an order and got a notice saying the code won't be active until 10:30 a.m. EST. The good news is none of the items in my wishlist have changed price (yet).
It appears to be active (sort of) now.

The good news is that none of the items in my wishlist have had their prices raised.

The bad news is that only 1 or 2 of them (ones I didn't want that much) are eligible for the sale.
Old 11-03-11, 09:51 AM

Maybe 1 in 10 of their items are on sale. Weak!!!!
Old 11-03-11, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok .... the sale is "on".

Checking the prices, even with the "25% off", virtually eveything ends up being about 35% off the MSRP.

During the "good old days" you ended up getting a 48-50% discount with the coupon codes.

Oh well, instead of spending $400-$600, I'll probably end up spending $40-60.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.