DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

WB Sale At J&R

Old 02-23-12, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WB Sale At J&R

Some good $4.99 deals here on titles that haven't been seen at Big Lots in a long time, if ever. Sooner or later these will all go OOP and wind up in the Warner Archive as DVD-Rs. Compared prices for some on Amazon and this J&R sale had them beat.

J&R WB SALE
Old 02-23-12, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: WB Sale At J&R

Some decent deals in there. Picked up a few.
Old 02-23-12, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Some decent deals in there. Picked up a few.
Highly recommend The Great Race on that list...awesome film.
Old 02-23-12, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts

Great sale. Nothing I need now, but great stuff.
Old 02-23-12, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's out of stock but Bad Day at Black Rock is good if you like noir. I ended up buying the Controversial Classics Collection to get it.
Old 02-23-12, 06:13 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

You can find an alternative Warner sale at buy.com with some more interesting titles for 7.99.
http://www.buy.com/prod/magnificent-...228352948.html
magnificient ambersons for one.
http://www.buy.com/prod/zabriskie-point/210793735.html

Zabriskie Point

There are quite a few others like Fearless Vampire Killers, operation crossbow. I'd have to look for them.
Old 02-24-12, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by g
You can find an alternative Warner sale at buy.com with some more interesting titles for 7.99.
Is that a grouped "sale" or are there just a few good deals you found? Is there anyway to see the whole list?
Old 02-24-12, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Some good $4.99 deals here on titles that haven't been seen at Big Lots in a long time, if ever. Sooner or later these will all go OOP and wind up in the Warner Archive as DVD-Rs. Compared prices for some on Amazon and this J&R sale had them beat.

J&R WB SALE
Are there any other good J&R deals? Is free shipping available?
Old 02-24-12, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by JoeDoakes
Are there any other good J&R deals? Is free shipping available?
Just placed an order for one DVD, Freaks. Price is $4.99 and it looks like I'm not being charged anything for shipping.
Old 02-24-12, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If there is a shipping charge on your order, just sign up to be a member and receive promotional e mails. That should get you free shipping.

I ordered:

PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY
NINOTCHKA
THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE
THE NIGHT OF THE IGUANA
BLACKBOARD JUNGLE

I may go back for KING SOLOMON'S MINES and THE GREAT RACE.

Note that three of the movies in the first and usually pricey BETTE DAVIS COLLECTION box set are here for good prices. Missing THE STAR and THE LETTER. The latter is only $5.00 at Amazon, but THE STAR is expensive unless bought used in the Marketplace. But for those who picked up THE LETTER at Big Lots, this may be a cheaper alternative to getting the Davis films without buying the box set.
Old 02-24-12, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
Just placed an order for one DVD, Freaks. Price is $4.99 and it looks like I'm not being charged anything for shipping.
For about double the price you can get TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection: Horror (House of Wax 1953 / The Haunting 1963 / Freaks / Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde 1941)

I'm not sure if there's anything extra on the regular release that isn't in that other set, so maybe it's a good deal for the regular one. I don't know.
Old 02-24-12, 01:34 PM
Dar

Some great classics. I wont be buying any though. Most of these are shown on TCM year round uncut. I have fun trying to catch them on.
Old 02-24-12, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Please note that original DVD release reviews for THE GREAT RACE state that there are severe audio problems with the first 20 minutes of the movie. I don't know if WB ever went back and corrected this or not and haven't been able to find out with a cursory search online. Staying away from this title for now. Seeing as how it was a lavish roadshow release in 1965 maybe WB will do a Blu on it.
Old 02-24-12, 02:12 PM
ktg

Glad I waited. They just started a free shipping weekend promo today.
Old 02-24-12, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ktg
Glad I waited. They just started a free shipping weekend promo today.
Shipping is always free if you sign up for their (currently) free Friends with Benefits program.

https://www.jr.com/friends
Old 02-24-12, 03:09 PM

For about double the price you can get TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection: Horror (House of Wax 1953 / The Haunting 1963 / Freaks / Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde 1941)

I'm not sure if there's anything extra on the regular release that isn't in that other set, so maybe it's a good deal for the regular one. I don't know.
Cool, thanks for the heads up. I already have The Haunting though, and I'm not that interested in the other two titles.
Old 02-24-12, 03:35 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeDoakes
Is that a grouped "sale" or are there just a few good deals you found? Is there anyway to see the whole list?
I think they took some away. I'm able to find them on a price search site.
The titles I listed were the best. I also see Up periscope with James Garner and Before Night Falls and Ride the High country at Buy.com for 7.79 along with magnificent ambersons and zabriskie point.
Old 02-24-12, 03:39 PM

I own the standalone Freaks and just compared it to Amazon's description of the TCM collection. The extras appear to be the same: the Special Message prologue, a commentary, an ~8 minute movie featurette, and an ~6 minute alternate endings featurette.

For anyone considering the TCM collection, House of Wax and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde are the tricky ones, as the individual releases contain two features, HOW from 1933/1953 and DJAMH from 1932/1941. The TCM release have just the later films.
Old 02-24-12, 03:49 PM

BTW, kudos to the OP. I just picked up a few titles. Sometimes the price is comparable to those on Amazon Marketplace, but it's the free shipping (i.e. not paying $3/item...though still cheaper than the Amazon price) that makes it sweet!

A question of my own? Does anyone know if the 2010 re-releases of The Time Machine (1960) and The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939) left out any extras? I'm thinking maybe just the text-based extras were dropped, but can't tell for certain.
Old 02-24-12, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by thetao
For anyone considering the TCM collection, House of Wax and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde are the tricky ones, as the individual releases contain two features, HOW from 1933/1953 and DJAMH from 1932/1941. The TCM release have just the later films.
That's a huge loss as I consider the earlier films to be superior to the remakes, though the latter films are still great.
Old 02-24-12, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Please note that original DVD release reviews for THE GREAT RACE state that there are severe audio problems with the first 20 minutes of the movie. I don't know if WB ever went back and corrected this or not and haven't been able to find out with a cursory search online. Staying away from this title for now. Seeing as how it was a lavish roadshow release in 1965 maybe WB will do a Blu on it.
Glenn,

I actually have this DVD and never encountered any audio problems with it but this is the standard DVD of the film I bought a few years ago, but it is a great film, albeit it long but worth a nice night of entertainment.
Old 02-24-12, 07:01 PM

kerrraappp!!!!! I bought Freaks and recently purchased Dr. Jekyll and didn't even know I already owned them!
Old 02-25-12, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rmw650
Glenn,

I actually have this DVD and never encountered any audio problems with it but this is the standard DVD of the film I bought a few years ago, but it is a great film, albeit it long but worth a nice night of entertainment.
Thanks Richard. Apparently the music and sound effects are off synch for the first reel. If you can, check your copy and see if the opening credits have the right mix. When they show Jack Lemmon as Professor Fate there are supposed to be a chorus of BOOS on the soundtrack. When they show Curtis as The Great Leslie there is supposed to be cheers. According to the reviews on Amazon and critics such as DVD Savant, the DVD has them synched wrong so the villain gets the cheers!l Also the rest of the first 20 minutes.
Old 02-25-12, 06:51 PM

I'm not too happy with J&R. I placed 2 orders yesterday, breaking up my orders so that the OOS ones would not slow up my shipping. Now many of the ones in my "in stock" order are OOS as well. They canceled my Amadeus BD Book because they didn't want to BO it. I hope these ship. There are some ones I've been waiting a long time for a good deal. We'll see.
Old 02-26-12, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks Richard. Apparently the music and sound effects are off synch for the first reel. If you can, check your copy and see if the opening credits have the right mix. When they show Jack Lemmon as Professor Fate there are supposed to be a chorus of BOOS on the soundtrack. When they show Curtis as The Great Leslie there is supposed to be cheers. According to the reviews on Amazon and critics such as DVD Savant, the DVD has them synched wrong so the villain gets the cheers!l Also the rest of the first 20 minutes.
I'll check on it Glenn and let you know what I find out.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.