DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

4.99 Paramount bin at BestBuy with double & triple features

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-11, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 4.99 Paramount bin at BestBuy with double & triple features

Originally Posted by DeepSleep
My guess is that Paramount had a ton of unsold single movie discs and decided to repackage the 3 movie discs that were originally destined to be sold individually into a triple feature rather than send them to the landfill...
...and that's where Envy belongs. Not even Chris Walken makes it momentarily endurable, and his cameo in Gigli was hilarious. That's right, Envy is less funny than Gigli.
Old 08-31-11, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

I have both of those- will have to watch them back-to-back when I'm feeling in a torturous mood.
Old 08-31-11, 06:10 AM

I went to the BB near me last Friday and yes they have the bin. But it's a small little cardboard box that was so crammed full of DVDs that you couldn't even get past the first layer of DVD's without creating a huge mess.
And it's at least 3 deep which makes it impossible to see what's really all in there especially at the bottom.
I just said forget it and moved on.
Old 08-31-11, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

DeepSleep, thanks for the info and pointing out my error. I had misread a previous post saying "single sided" as "single layer"... I don't know how I spaced out. So the Jack Ryan collection sounds like all 3 "Special Collector Edition" DVD-9s with the extras intact (which I paid $7.99 each at BB back in 2004 when I was foolishly paying too much for movies and I still haven't opened any of them). So no repressing was needed, Paramount is getting rid of extra inventory rather than toss them, and it's a pretty good deal. Maybe in 5-7 years I can pick up the BD 3-pack in the $4.99 bin. :-)
Originally Posted by DeepSleep
I took a look at the back cover of the set before he bought it. All three movies are anamorphic widescreen, all three had both DTS surround and Dolby Digital 5.1 sound, behind the scenes interviews with the cast, etc. One movie, don't remember which one, also had a director's commentary track. I think the set of 3 discs are all DVD-9's.

My guess is that Paramount had a ton of unsold single movie discs and decided to repackage the 3 movie discs that were originally destined to be sold individually into a triple feature rather than send them to the landfill...

I think Paramount is just trying to squeeze a few more $$$ out of existing inventory.
Old 08-31-11, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I visited my mom last night to get her a new cell phone, and stopped by Best Buy on the way home and got her the Jack Ryan set and Cast Away. Might pick up the Ryan set for myself, although I already have two of the movies as singles.
Old 08-31-11, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by DouglasRobert
I went to the BB near me last Friday and yes they have the bin. But it's a small little cardboard box that was so crammed full of DVDs that you couldn't even get past the first layer of DVD's without creating a huge mess.
And it's at least 3 deep which makes it impossible to see what's really all in there especially at the bottom.
I just said forget it and moved on.
Agreed. And in the store nearest me, there is so much bare floor space that there would be plenty of room for racks instead of these crummy bins.
Old 09-01-11, 02:05 PM

I got an e-mail yesterday with a 10% off coupon, so I picked up the Jack Ryan collection, the Benjamin Button Criterion and Flags of Our Fathers (Two-Disc Special Edition). I thought about picking up either the Nic Cage or Travolta collections for Face/Off, but I really didn't care about any of the other movies. Plus the coupon was only good on 3 dvds.

The Jack Ryan collection is very odd because it has the newer special edition DVDs for The Hunt for Red October and Clear and Present Danger, but the older movie only DVD for Patriot Games. Granted, you're only missing out on a 25 minute making of documentary, but it would still be nice to have. For $5 though, I suppose I can't complain.
Old 09-01-11, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rexxriot
The Jack Ryan collection is very odd because it has the newer special edition DVDs for The Hunt for Red October and Clear and Present Danger, but the older movie only DVD for Patriot Games. Granted, you're only missing out on a 25 minute making of documentary, but it would still be nice to have. For $5 though, I suppose I can't complain.
Are you sure? After the brief discussion of whether or not these discs are DVD-5's or DVD-9's, I asked my co-worker to bring the set to work so we could figure this out once and for all. Yes, the 3 discs are DVD-9's and each of the 3 movies are Special Editions.

Marked on each disc is "Special Collector's Edition"

At the lower edge of each disc the copyright year is:

1989 & 2006 for "The Hunt for Red October"

1992 & 2007 for "Patriot Games"

1994 & 2006 for "Clear and Present Danger"

The 25 minute making of documentary called "Patriot Games Up Close" is on the Patriot Games disc. (I'm watching it now). It is also listed on the back of the keepcase.

Since these discs are Paramount warehouse leftovers packaged into a triple feature, I'm wondering if some older discs got included into these sets?

Maybe some sets will be all Special Edition discs (like the set my co-worker purchased) or some sets might have a mix of Special Edition and earlier older discs like the one you bought?
Old 09-01-11, 04:14 PM

Yes, I'm sure. Patriot Games is the only disc that's not marked "Special Collector's Edition" and the copyright years are 1992 & 1998. The only extra is the trailer.

Did your co-worker's version have each disc in it's own keepcase, or one keepcase with all three discs? Mine had three discs in one keepcase.

EDIT: This thread also mentions getting the older Patriot Games in the triple feature set.

Last edited by Rexxriot; 09-01-11 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-01-11, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, I saw two different packaging for the Jack Ryan sets. One had the usual movie images, the other was plain gunmetal grey with no images on it. Maybe the differences between sets are more than just cosmetic?
Old 09-01-11, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rexxriot
Yes, I'm sure. Patriot Games is the only disc that's not marked "Special Collector's Edition" and the copyright years are 1992 & 1998. The only extra is the trailer.

Did your co-worker's version have each disc in it's own keepcase, or one keepcase with all three discs? Mine had three discs in one keepcase.
His triple feature has all 3 discs in one regular size keepcase.

There is a new UPC code sticker on top of the clear plastic on the back of the keepcase. It is 0 32429 10263 8.

The SKU on the receipt and price sticker is 3185316.

Wow, sounds like some sets are a mix of old and new discs, while other sets are all the newer Special Edition discs. Guess my co-worker was lucky in getting all the SE discs in his set.

Edit: The cover art on my co-worker's set is plain gunmetal gray with no images on it.

Edit & more: The 25 minute documentary "Patriot Games Up Close" is listed as a feature on the back of the keepcase. Also, in the very lower right hand side of the back of the keepcase it says Copyright 2008 by Paramount Pictures.

Last edited by DeepSleep; 09-01-11 at 04:31 PM. Reason: added info
Old 09-01-11, 04:38 PM

Well, I guess that explains it. I have the one with the usual movie images. Wish I had known that before I bought it, although I think I only saw the one copy.
Old 09-01-11, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Preterite
FWIW, I saw two different packaging for the Jack Ryan sets. One had the usual movie images, the other was plain gunmetal grey with no images on it. Maybe the differences between sets are more than just cosmetic?
At the Best Buy store that my co-worker and I went to, they had 4 copies of the Jack Ryan triple feature and they all were "gunmetal grey with no images on it" art work covers.

Sounds like some stores have only the "gunmetal grey covers", some stores have only the "usual image covers" and other stores like yours has both cover types. It looks like the cover design dictates whether the set has all special edition discs or a mix of old and new discs.
Old 09-01-11, 06:21 PM

The "Jack Ryan" set may have two different art covers (and it is only the new plain gray cover that lists the "special features"), but the UPC bar code number on the upper right back cover and the stock number on the lower spline (side) are the same for both covers. Therefore they are the same, though "goHastings" shows both seperately.