Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Is Veronica Mars always on sale at Amazon??

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Is Veronica Mars always on sale at Amazon??

Old 08-14-11, 09:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Is Veronica Mars always on sale at Amazon??

BTW, Deepdiscount sells the whole set of three seasons for $40: http://www.deepdiscount.com/dvd/vero...t-3rd-seasons/
Old 08-14-11, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Last year or so I got S1 for $8 at Kroger. It was a blind buy and I just started watching the DVDs this summer (been following along with the AV Club's recaps). I'm really enjoying it. Thanks for letting me know the rest of the series is so cheap at Amazon!
Old 08-14-11, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mosskeeto
Amazon buys from whoever can provide the title they want at the lowest price point and then they mark it up to the price they're selling them. In other words they sometimes get them from the real studios and other times they buy them from dubious sources.
Do you remember the Have Gun Will Travel season set that was priced ridiculously low at Amazon? It had a defective disc. I pursued the issue up to the studio and they swore that Amazon had bought sets that were proven to be counterfeit from an overseas source. At least that's what I was told by a CSR from the studio.It's rare, but happens when you seek out the lowest wholesale price. I find it hard to believe those sets are priced below their cost if the price has been there for so long.
I am not doubting that you found an idiot CSR that would make a statement like this but I seriously doubt that it was true. I say idiot as well because Amazon has enough power to seriously hurt even a major studio if they knowingly had a CSR telling someone that. I just dont believe Amazon itself would knowingly sell counterfiet product.

Originally Posted by Texan26
One of the problems is the OP is looking at the MSRP. The MSRP does not reflect what the retailer pays for the product. Amazon and every retailer probably only pays about $13 for each set. Warner Brothers has a $59.98 MSRP on most of their one hour show TV season sets. Just look at the MSRPs of Lois and Clark, Smallville, Supernatural, and The Flash. All of these can be found very cheap.

I just did a search on this forum and found a few Veronica Mars sales threads. In this thread from less than eight months ago : Veronica Mars- Seasons 1-3 $19.99 each @ Amazon, the OP decides to buy them. So the OP buys them for about $60 for all three and now eight months later would be happy with a $45 to $50 profit. It's not going to happen with TV seasons by a major distributor like WB unless it suddenly goes out out of print.
Amazon may be paying $13 for it now but it was not that cheap to them when it was released. The best I can figure Amazon gets product at about 50% or so of retail after some marketing funds from the studios. If your a good negotiator you can get it from a distributor for around 35 to 40% off list but you wont get the marketing funds typically only the big fish like Amazon BB, Wal-Mart, etc get these. It is more likely that the cost has dropped and Warner hasnt dropped the MSRP. From what I see that is typical of Warner.

I have been selling on ebay for several years now, I dont sell that much now since ebay basically gave its media business to the large sellers but I got to know quite a bit about how dvd works from the wholesale end. I also am a buyer for a C-store chain and have talked to several movie distributors and I pretty much get the same story.

Most of the stuff that stays cheap is just surplus. Its how Wal-Mart sells $5 dvd's and its why Veronica Mars stays so cheap.
Old 08-14-11, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW, Deepdiscount sells the whole set of three seasons for $40: http://www.deepdiscount.com/dvd/vero...t-3rd-seasons/
I hope someone will see this post and find some worth in this sorry thread, which has been just ridiculous. A re-seller whining about not being able to make a profit in a forum called DVD BARGAINS. Unbelievable.
Old 08-14-11, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

One of the problems is the OP is looking at the MSRP. The MSRP does not reflect what the retailer pays for the product. Amazon and every retailer probably only pays about $13 for each set. Warner Brothers has a $59.98 MSRP on most of their one hour show TV season sets. Just look at the MSRPs of Lois and Clark, Smallville, Supernatural, and The Flash. All of these can be found very cheap.

I just did a search on this forum and found a few Veronica Mars sales threads. In this thread from less than eight months ago : Veronica Mars- Seasons 1-3 $19.99 each @ Amazon, the OP decides to buy them. So the OP buys them for about $60 for all three and now eight months later would be happy with a $45 to $50 profit. It's not going to happen with TV seasons by a major distributor like WB unless it suddenly goes out out of print.
It's hard to believe that the OP is serious, given he's been on this forum for 10 years with almost 7000 posts.

What's not to get? It was mass produced by Warner Brothers. It was found in Big Lots and grocery stores for $6..
I think we both know that that was a mistake in that the sets that were supposed to be destroyed somehow found their way to the market. I wish the other 60% of those 2 millions sets (??) made their way to BL. I never got that Looney Tunes 5 box set for 10 bucks.

Sports Night can be found cheap though.
I'm on this forum almost every day and I've never seen this cheap (for $15 or $20).
Old 08-14-11, 04:59 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks

I'm on this forum almost every day and I've never seen this cheap (for $15 or $20).
You can buy the whole Sports Night series on Amazon Marketplace for $33 shipped. Amazon had the whole series on sale for $33.49 about three months ago.That's about $16 per season which is what Veronica Mars season sets sell for. I wouldn't expect the whole series to sell in the $15-20 range.

Last edited by Texan26; 08-14-11 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-14-11, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Everywhere but Amazon.
And Big Lots.

And good luck even finding a store that stocks this title anymore. I just checked BB and it's not available for in-store pick up. Strictly internet.
So, if the OP holds out a little longer, this title may dry up and he can sell his for more cash.
Old 08-14-11, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You can buy the whole Sports Night series on Amazon Marketplace for $33 shipped. Amazon had the whole series on sale for $33.49 about three months ago.That's about $16 per season which is what Veronica Mars season sets sell for. I wouldn't expect the whole series to sell in the $15-20 range.
That's true, but I've always looked at it as one unit because the seasons were never sold separately and because it only has 8 discs. I guess 20 bucks to me would be considered a bargain. $33 is a bit too high IMO.