DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Borders Liquidation

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-11, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Borders Liquidation

Originally Posted by kd5
It's no wonder Borders is going out of business. I just got another email proclaiming 25% off DVDs (amongst other things), placed 2 - TV seasons in my cart and the total cost (at 25% off) was still $10 higher than Barnes & Noble's regular price. That's nuts... -kd5-
"Discounts apply to in-store purchases only".
Old 08-04-11, 11:03 AM

Yeah the banner saying Borders.com is open is kinda funny like if the discounts don't apply online why would anyone bother the prices are crazy.
Old 08-04-11, 03:14 PM

I found Kino's DVD of the 2010 restoration of Metropolis at the Ward Centre Borders for $14.99, so I got it.

I feel like a vulture.
Old 08-04-11, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

I got the Metropolis Blu-ray for $9.99 at the Best Buy in Iwilei on Sunday (with the $5 coupon, now expired), so I'm a super-vulture!
Old 08-05-11, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Todd B.
I got the Metropolis Blu-ray for $9.99 at the Best Buy in Iwilei on Sunday (with the $5 coupon, now expired), so I'm a super-vulture!
Yeah, but Best Buy isn't going out of business and your purchase isn't the retail equivalent of feasting on the dessicated corpse of a once-living entity.

But hey, awesome deal anyway!
Old 08-05-11, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Calamari
I found Kino's DVD of the 2010 restoration of Metropolis at the Ward Centre Borders for $14.99, so I got it.

I feel like a vulture.
Were there a lot of Blurays left there? I'm thinking about going over there but don't want to waste the time if it's been worked over the people who bought on the first days of the liquidation sale.

Originally Posted by Todd B.
Congrats on that one. I had to go to the Aiea BB to pick up Metropolis.
Old 08-05-11, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
Were there a lot of Blurays left there? I'm thinking about going over there but don't want to waste the time if it's been worked over the people who bought on the first days of the liquidation sale.
Based on what I saw on Saturday, it's probably not worth it to check it out. The selection was never very deep. Even at 50% off, the prices are only barely meeting normal Amazon prices on most things. There are a few deals to be found (digibooks maybe), but it depends on your tastes. I didn't see any box sets there. I think they were cleaned out.

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
Congrats on that one. I had to go to the Aiea BB to pick up Metropolis.
I actually had to go twice to get it. Online said both locations were out. When I went to Iwilei on Saturday, their in-store inventory said each location had 1 copy, but neither one could find it. When I went back to Iwilei on Sunday (for something else), that one copy was magically on the shelf now, just in time to use the $5 coupon before it expired.
Old 08-06-11, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Hit Puyallup, Wa today (closest one to me left).

Blu 50% off (however the original prices are so high that most are still higher than Amazon, BB, etc)
DVD "Clearance" titles (random choices by store employees 50%
DVD 25%
CD "Clearance" titles (random choices by store employees 50%
CD 30%

Selection was ok, not great. I bought 1 cd from "clearance".
Old 08-06-11, 04:38 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by jwstl
"Discounts apply to in-store purchases only"
I'm sorry but that's just fucking stupid (not you jwstl, but Borders). Borders, as an entity, is going out of business fer' crissakes! If they're going to have sales, they should be store-wide, whether it's in-store or online. I'll be damned if I'm going to fight crowds at a Borders store only to find there's shit for selection left.

Fuck Borders. -kd5-
Old 08-06-11, 06:36 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by kd5
I'm sorry but that's just fucking stupid (not you jwstl, but Borders). Borders, as an entity, is going out of business fer' crissakes! If they're going to have sales, they should be store-wide, whether it's in-store or online. I'll be damned if I'm going to fight crowds at a Borders store only to find there's shit for selection left.

Fuck Borders. -kd5-
the online store might not be going oob. I know that Circuit City still has an online store.
Old 08-07-11, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My understanding is that Borders no longer even owns the stock in there physical stores; it's owned by the liquidators.
Old 08-07-11, 10:22 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Liquidators will frequently bring in non-store stock to sell as well.
Old 08-08-11, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by MrE
Liquidators will frequently bring in non-store stock to sell as well.
They sure are......big straw purses, stuffed animals holding plush blankets, bargain DVDs of the same titles you see at BigLots. Shopping on Saturday, we kept asking each other where this stuff was coming from because it definitely was not Borders merchandise.

The only bright spot was that some stores are getting in the 2012 calendars. Wilmington, DE, had a particularly large selection....got the Big Bang Theory and Modern Family calendars for 40% off.

Just got an e-mail that says if you shop Monday through Wednesday they are giving an additional 10% off.
http://www.borders.com/online/store/...d=SA_20110808#
Old 08-08-11, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FiendCameron
the online store might not be going oob. I know that Circuit City still has an online store.
I've had a backorder on the online store that was supposed to be coming out this week, but when I last checked the order, the remaining product to be sent's SKU had changed to another product that I'd already received in the order and the product wanted was no longer listed on the site. So I sent an email indicating that I definitely didn't want another copy of the same thing I already had.

Here's an excerpt of their response:

We regret to inform you that Borders have decided to cancel all back orders since we believe that we will no longer be able to fulfill your order because of the current situation of the Company. We apologize for the inconvenience this might have caused you.

Also, please be informed that if you used a Gift Card on this order, a Return Gift Card will be shipped to your address in normal time frame of 7-14 business days. If you use a Credit Card, the authorization charges that were posted on your account will drop off with 3-5 business days after we have canceled the order successfully. If you use a Borders, we are sorry to inform you that we can no longer reinstate it on your Borders Rewards Account since all borders bucks expired last July 31, 2011.
So, that seems like the online store won't be around much longer either to me.
Old 08-08-11, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Can't imagine why anyone would risk ordering from the web site now considering what is going on. Dumb.
Old 08-08-11, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Santa Rosa, CA is still at 25% DVD's and 50% on Blu-Rays/Red Label DVD's + Blu-Rays
Old 08-08-11, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by FiendCameron
Yeah but it's owned by the same company that runs Tiger Direct. Sure borders.com may still exist years down the line with a different company just using the borders name.
Old 08-08-11, 08:55 PM

Visited NYC location today (Madison Square Garden) - books, DVDs are 25% off (PLENTY of both), CDs 30%, magazines 50%. No idea about BluRay.
Old 08-09-11, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NYCMan
Visited NYC location today (Madison Square Garden) - books, DVDs are 25% off (PLENTY of both), CDs 30%, magazines 50%. No idea about BluRay.
Will give it two more weeks before venturing into Borders and hoping supplies are still there with better discounts.
Old 08-09-11, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by rmw650
Will give it two more weeks before venturing into Borders and hoping supplies are still there with better discounts.
Yes. A few $10 titles, but most are $30. No deal at all, even at 60%, which may be awhile.
Old 08-09-11, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Some of the books and all CDs are an additional 10% off through Wednesday. I was hoping it applied to BDs but it wasn't to be. Still, at 50% plus my Rewards Plus discount, there are a couple of things worth getting.
There were some decent music deals at 30 plus 10 plus the Rewards Plus 10.
Old 08-16-11, 10:29 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Borders used to have an amazing inventory of classical CD's. Any idea where they all went? Granted, I've only been to one Borders during this liquidation sale, but there was nary a classical CD or box set to be seen...(apologies for not being directly DVD/blu-ray related). --Peter
Old 08-16-11, 10:58 PM

Anyone been to the Waldenbooks in Rye. Wondering if there are any good deals yet?
Old 08-17-11, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Proglodite
Borders used to have an amazing inventory of classical CD's. Any idea where they all went? Granted, I've only been to one Borders during this liquidation sale, but there was nary a classical CD or box set to be seen...(apologies for not being directly DVD/blu-ray related). --Peter
They gutted their CD selection a couple years ago. That's when I stopped shopping there.
Old 08-17-11, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Proglodite
In Tacoma Wa, during the last wave, Classical was just about all that was left at 90%, & there was some decent stuff.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.