Re: Criterion 50% off sale at B&N starting July 12, get out your credit cards

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
August 1
Thanks!
Old 07-23-11, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far so good, just have to order the Pedro Costas set, 3 Eclipses and a few more DVD's and I'll be caught back up with the entire collection. I love these sales!
Old 07-25-11, 07:14 PM

Ordered Forbidden Games online Saturday morning. Since it's currently out of print and said it had a shipping wait of 1-2 weeks, I wasn't expecting to ever receive it. However, I got an e-mail today saying it has already shipped, so there's some good news for anyone else who might be interested in ordering it. Let's hope the same thing happens with the copy of "Grand Illusion" I ordered.
Old 07-26-11, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I may have placed my final order of the sale. Since I have no way to use the 20% off in store on tomorrows new blus, I bit the bullet with an online order. $17.39 each. I MIGHT buy an Eclipse set or two if I can get them to use the $8 coupon, but I haven't decided yet.

My haul to date:

Blus (Completing my blu collection to date)-
By Brakhage: An Anthology V1 & V2
The Complete Monterey Pop Festival
Close-Up
The 400 Blows
The Last Emperor
Howard's End
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button
A Christmas Tale
The Makioka Sisters
Naked
The Music Room
Beauty & The Beast
High & Low
Life During Wartime
Leon Morin, Priest

DVD-
The Orphic Trilogy
Forbidden Games
The Fallen Idol
Variety Lights
Trafic
Grand Illusion
Diary Of A Country Priest
Old 07-26-11, 03:51 AM

I've been on the fence whether to buy the AK100 set despite the fact I had a number of Kurosawa titles. This sale allowed me to pick up the missing titles seperately.

Kagemusha
Red Beard
Drunken Angel
The Hidden Fortress
Dodes'ka-den
The Bad Sleep Well

Also, just for kicks picked up a A Film Trilogy by Ingmar Bergman
Old 07-26-11, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by nw_kiff
I've been on the fence whether to buy the AK100 set despite the fact I had a number of Kurosawa titles. This sale allowed me to pick up the missing titles seperately.

Kagemusha
Red Beard
Drunken Angel
The Hidden Fortress
Dodes'ka-den
The Bad Sleep Well

Also, just for kicks picked up a A Film Trilogy by Ingmar Bergman
picked that AK100 set up the last time they had this 50% sale. I am not a great fan of all those extras and would love to own great restorations that are lean and mean in offerings. Since then, I offloaded the individual sets of AK on Craigslist
Old 07-26-11, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

GROWL This is regarding the Carnival Of Souls set that arrived CRACKED from both discs being floaters:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding order #xxxxx. We understand
that you need the tracking number for your replacement order and thank
you for returning the defective item to us.

Despite our efforts, we are unable to ship your replacement order in the
expected timeframe. Please accept our apology for this delay. We hope
to receive the merchandise shortly, on or around 08/11/2011, and we will
ship it to you immediately thereafter. We will send you an e-mail
notification including the tracking information when the merchandise
actually has been shipped."
Old 07-26-11, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jrsl76
I MIGHT buy an Eclipse set or two if I can get them to use the $8 coupon, but I haven't decided yet.
That's what I said. And when I had no trouble using the $8 coupons and the $5 coupons together in-stores I went a little crazy and ended up buying 11 Eclipse sets.
Old 07-27-11, 01:56 PM

You might get it. I ordered a copy and it shipped.
My copy of Le Trou arrived today...very cool to get something said to be OOP. Hope you got yours LASER. I have been waiting to watch it. As per usual the package came and the case was near bent in half. The cover art looks fine and the booklet is good, the disc shows signs of being uneven but so far no trouble playing it. B&N should really invest in a fragile stamp when putting a small DVD on a UPS truck full of heavy a## crap!
Old 07-27-11, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by stiroe
My copy of Le Trou arrived today...very cool to get something said to be OOP. Hope you got yours LASER. I have been waiting to watch it. As per usual the package came and the case was near bent in half. The cover art looks fine and the booklet is good, the disc shows signs of being uneven but so far no trouble playing it. B&N should really invest in a fragile stamp when putting a small DVD on a UPS truck full of heavy a## crap!
B&N has a number of OOP Criterions in stock besides Le Trou. They have Peeping Tom, Forbidden Games, Grand Illusion, Pierrot le fou....
Old 07-27-11, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stiroe
I got my copy last week. Haven't opened it yet but it looks like it's probably okay since the case was undamaged. At least the disc wasn't loose. I ordered four other oop titles and all of them have shipped. Criterion must have had some old inventory laying around they wanted to unload with this sale.
Old 07-27-11, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone who picked up Le Trou but hadn't seen it: Good move. One of my favorites. It's such a great film.
Old 07-27-11, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jwstl
That's what I said. And when I had no trouble using the $8 coupons and the $5 coupons together in-stores I went a little crazy and ended up buying 11 Eclipse sets.
I currently own 3 (Sam Fuller, Nikkatsu Noir, Basil Dearden) & still am quite interested in another 5 (Louis Malle, Postwar Kurosawa, First Films Kurosawa, Oshima, Mattarazzo).

I'd like to see some others, but those are the ones I want the most.
Old 07-27-11, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jrsl76
I currently own 3 (Sam Fuller, Nikkatsu Noir, Basil Dearden) & still am quite interested in another 5 (Louis Malle, Postwar Kurosawa, First Films Kurosawa, Oshima, Mattarazzo).

I'd like to see some others, but those are the ones I want the most.
If you can find a store that will let you use the $8 coupons I say buy what you can afford. The Eclipse sets are a steal at half off - coupons. I really took advantage of the online and store coupons and the 15% back from Discover and ordered more than I planned. I never assume there will be another sale and, if there is, there's no assurance they will allow coupons online like they did this time. I spent a lot of time on the math so as to figure out which coupons to use to get the best deals. I bought a lot in-store but I placed a lot more orders online than I did last time thanks to the 15% and 20% coupons (and the trick that allowed multiple uses of said coupons) and the cash back from Discover. I'm scared to sit down and figure out how much I spent but I wouldn't be surprised if I hit $1000.
Old 07-27-11, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you can find a store that will let you use the $8 coupons I say buy what you can afford. The Eclipse sets are a steal at half off - coupons. I really took advantage of the online and store coupons and the 15% back from Discover and ordered more than I planned. I never assume there will be another sale and, if there is, there's no assurance they will allow coupons online like they did this time. I spent a lot of time on the math so as to figure out which coupons to use to get the best deals. I bought a lot in-store but I placed a lot more orders online than I did last time thanks to the 15% and 20% coupons (and the trick that allowed multiple uses of said coupons) and the cash back from Discover. I'm scared to sit down and figure out how much I spent but I wouldn't be surprised if I hit $1000.
I had no problem using the $8 coupon on Eclipse titles at two different stores during the current sale. As long as they are over $40 list the stores seem okay with accepting the $8 coupons, even with the 50% sale prices. I managed to get Raffaello Matarazzo's Runway Melodramas today for $19 with the coupon. I wasn't planning on getting it but I had an extra copy of Blow Out I didn't want and swapped it at a local store with the credit. Even had a little extra credit left over to put toward a second title to use it all up.

I had a few more Eclipse titles I was interested in but unfortunately no stores in my area had either Early Bergman and Ray Bernard Eclipse sets in stock, so I had to get those online with the 20% coupon last week.
Old 07-27-11, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

II had a few more Eclipse titles I was interested in but unfortunately no stores in my area had either Early Bergman and Ray Bernard Eclipse sets in stock, so I had to get those online with the 20% coupon last week.
I had the same problem with some of the Eclipse sets. The stores here don't stock many Eclipse titles so I used the 20 and 15 coupons online. I probably wouldn't have if it hadn't been for the 15% back from Discover. I passed on the Bernard set; maybe I should grab that too.

I also need to decide if I want more Blu-rays. I'm considering A Christmas Tale, Senso, House, and Insignificance.
Old 07-29-11, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received my first order of the OOP titles yesterday. A couple more are to be delivered today, but still no ship notice for Trafic. There is plenty of time in their estimate left, but I'll feel better once it actually ships.
Old 07-29-11, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had a few more Eclipse titles I was interested in but unfortunately no stores in my area had either Early Bergman and Ray Bernard Eclipse sets in stock, so I had to get those online with the 20% coupon last week.
I went ahead and ordered the Bernard set after reading your post and checking out a few reviews. Unfortunately, I received a cancellation notice for it today. Odd that they would cancel after 48 hours. Is this OOP?
Old 07-29-11, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I went ahead and ordered the Bernard set after reading your post and checking out a few reviews. Unfortunately, I received a cancellation notice for it today. Odd that they would cancel after 48 hours. Is this OOP?
According to the Criterion web site it doesn't appear to be OOP. I ordered it online and it shipped a couple of days later. I now have it. However not a single store in my area had any copies when I checked to possibly reserve one to pick up at a store last week.

http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/494...aymond-bernard
Old 07-29-11, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

According to the Criterion web site it doesn't appear to be OOP. I ordered it online and it shipped a couple of days later. I now have it. However not a single store in my area had any copies when I checked to possibly reserve one to pick up at a store last week.

http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/494...aymond-bernard
None of the stores here have it either and it's showing 3-5 weeks to be shipped at bn.com. I may just order it again.
Old 07-29-11, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

None of the stores here have it either and it's showing 3-5 weeks to be shipped at bn.com. I may just order it again.
I ran across the same thing with the Early Bergman set at stores. However it's showing available in 24 hours online.
Old 07-29-11, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

B&N stated they shipped my replacement Carnival Of Souls today, 2 weeks early.
Old 07-31-11, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just a reminder the sale is ending Monday. Also the last day for the 15% coupon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.