Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazon: MST3K Box Sets Vol 16-20 on sale

Not sure for how long, but was watching for these and saw them reduced today:

MST3 Vol 19 [Limited Edition w/ Gypsy figurine]: $38.49
MST3K Vol 18: $29.99
MST3K Vol 17: $29.99
MST3K Vol 16: $31.49
MST3K Vol 20 [preorder]: $41.99

Vol 20 is also available from Shout! Factory on pre-order for a bit less (plus S&H) but you get a free MST3K stress ball.
Old 01-06-11, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Amazon: MST3K Box Sets Vol 16-20 on sale

Damn, I just got Vol. 18 from them the other day for $39.
Old 01-06-11, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Damn, I just got Vol. 18 from them the other day for $39.
Isn't that how it always works out?
Old 01-12-11, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I should read the forum more often. I've been waiting for Mystery Science Theater 3000, Vol. XVIII to go lower than the normal $41.99 it has been forever and just found they reduced the price to $29.99 only because I checked my wish list and saw it.

I wish I had not paid $48.99 for Vol. 19, but I needed Gypsy to go with Tom and Servo, and I didn't know if the set would sell out fast or not.

By the way, Vol. 20 is now $39.99.

Last edited by Lecithin; 01-12-11 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-13-11, 02:27 AM

FYI, although Amazon no longer gives a price adjustment on its own stuff, since I too had bought Vol 19 about two weeks before they dropped the price I checked into a return and found I could send it back for ~ $3. So I bought another copy at the lower price and sent one back for the refund. Worth it since the price dropped over $10.
Old 01-14-11, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Harold Chasen
FYI, although Amazon no longer gives a price adjustment on its own stuff, since I too had bought Vol 19 about two weeks before they dropped the price I checked into a return and found I could send it back for ~ $3. So I bought another copy at the lower price and sent one back for the refund. Worth it since the price dropped over $10.
If you email them, explaining you know the policy says they don't do adjustments, but ask if they can make a "one time courtesy exception" ... they will normally do it ... just be nice when asking ...

I've only been shot down once ... all others, they do it as a "one time exception" ...

Of course, YMMV.
Old 01-14-11, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They shipped me Volume 19 back on November 6 (I preordered it on September 1), so it's been a couple of months, not exactly right after I bought. Still, it looks like they will let me return it for a refund (with "found better price" as a reason and will only deduct $2.98 for return shipping? That seems cheap for a set this size.

UPS drop-off: Drop off at authorized UPS shipper. Drop Off Locator. Printer required. Because your return is not the result of our error, estimated return shipping costs of up to $2.98 will be deducted from your refund.
I might do it for $7 savings. I've done more for less.
Old 01-17-11, 04:45 PM

I was tempted to order but after reading about all the transfer issues with these recent sets I'll hold off for the possibility of an extreme bargain. Sounds like Shout Factory needs to get their quality control issues sorted out. These sets have always seemed too expensive to me to begin with, and spread out over twice the number of discs that should be needed.
Old 01-19-11, 01:52 PM

What transfer issues?
Old 01-27-11, 11:18 PM

Sorry, just saw the question.
See Amazon reviews for the sets in question. Quite a few people have reported all manner of glitches that appear to be new to these releases, i.e. transfer-related rather than from poor condition of the source elements. I haven't seen any of the last few releases myself, so I can't say one way or another how bad they are.
Old 01-28-11, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ElCambio
See Amazon reviews for the sets in question.
But which sets? All of the ones on sale?
Old 01-28-11, 11:51 AM

Not all the ones on sale, but I read multiple reviews reporting problems with Vols. XVIII and XIX, and this was enough to make me question Shout! Factory's quality control for all the sets they've done so far. Not saying they're likely all bad (I doubt that) but it does seem like something of a risk. In fairness, though, I do plan to see for myself and pick up one or two of these newer sets to complement my collection of the Rhino sets.
Old 01-28-11, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there an option to watch the movies on these sets WITHOUT the running commentary? And are the films themselves in relatively good shape or are they typical public domain quality? Never got one of these and was curious. Thanks.
Old 01-28-11, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Is there an option to watch the movies on these sets WITHOUT the running commentary? And are the films themselves in relatively good shape or are they typical public domain quality? Never got one of these and was curious. Thanks.
Some of the early Rhino single releases were flippers with the original version of the the movie on the other side. I never had any interest in watching them so I can't speak to the quality. MST3K took the syndicated television versions available to them, then made additional cuts for time. The MST3K discs are not the way to go if, for some unfathomable reason, you're looking to catch Hobgoblins in its pure unadulterated glory.
Old 01-29-11, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And wouldn't you know it, HOBGOBLINS was THE title I wanted to see in pure unadulterated glory! LOL. No, but I do write about the lower end of sci-fi and exploitation cinema and thought maybe this was a chance to see some of these titles in quality superior to the p.d. versions I own. I need to see Torgo in Blu Ray, dammit!

Thanks for the information, Preterite.
Old 01-29-11, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Preterite
Some of the early Rhino single releases were flippers with the original version of the the movie on the other side.
Yeah, I have those. It was only a few of the earliest titles that they did this for and the picture quality was poor on the un-MST-ed versions of the movies. Probably better off that they stopped this really given that they didn't do it well and a lot of the movies are available on non-MST DVD releases anyway.