Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Alfred Hitchcock Premiere Collection - $24.98 shipped

Originally Posted by CalebAndCo
[MockIndignation]Hey![/MockIndignation]
Old 01-14-11, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now in my mind, this deal becomes murkier.
Anyone who treats their customers to cheap packaging while charging roughly $5 to ship, and then refuses to offer exchanges due to damages in transit, is an a**hole and deserves to get screwed in return.
So either insist they accept a return or file a complaint with your credit card. Every time someone files a chargeback complaint, there is a fee applied to that business account of several dollars (I forget the amount...$10-$20)for the administrative costs that the CC company collects from them regardless of final outcome.

Other option I assume works better. When I called the studio to do the exchange, they would only do a complete exchange even though I told them I only needed to replace the Notorious disc. The only question that I recall they asked, other than my mailing/email info, was where I purchased the set - Costco in my instance.

If you're going to have to pay return shipping to the seller (Ugh!!!) then the studio is clearly the better choice.
Old 01-14-11, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This arrived just a few minutes ago. The outer plastic casing was essentially shattered with broken pieces everywhere. However, the actual box itself and discs look just fine. Hopefully each DVD plays properly when I test things out. If not, I will figure out an exchange.

I'm pretty disappointed in the way the seller packaged the item. Like others who ordered the set it came in a plain plastic bag with no padding. There was no way this set was going to survive a delivery completely undamaged.
Old 01-14-11, 08:56 PM

My set arrived a few days ago. So what the plastic case was cracked. So what the packaging sucks. So what they could have done a better job of giving me what I want.
Every disc played fine. Caveat emptor. I am happy.
Old 01-14-11, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

A few of the discs had buzzing during the menu's and load time. Rebecca had LOUD buzzing during the first twenty minutes of the film itself and then it went away. This set is unacceptable. I will be contacting MGM for an exchange tomorrow.
Old 01-14-11, 10:48 PM
Cool New Member

reveived mine today, they left it on my doorstep in the snow for 5 hours and the case was shattered. Also wierd there is an orange sticker on the bottom of the plastic case? like a clearance sticker, anyone else?

Either way they should have let customers know the cases where broken.
Old 01-14-11, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

My set also had an orange sticker on the bottom of the case.
Old 01-14-11, 11:29 PM

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Received mine...cracked case. Going to try some Gorilla glue on mine for the price I paid
Old 01-15-11, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

I havent received mine still. So is this shipping from New York ? I am in California and so with the cheaper shipping, it could take a while to come.
Old 01-15-11, 10:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GenPion
A few of the discs had buzzing during the menu's and load time. Rebecca had LOUD buzzing during the first twenty minutes of the film itself and then it went away. This set is unacceptable. I will be contacting MGM for an exchange tomorrow.
How did you find the errors? I assume you scanned through each disc?
Old 01-15-11, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
I havent received mine still. So is this shipping from New York ? I am in California and so with the cheaper shipping, it could take a while to come.
Still waiting for mine in Texas too... I guess it's still out there getting bashed to pieces by the postal service.
Old 01-15-11, 05:24 PM

I don't understand why everybody was willing to take a chance on this set. It's been plagued with problems with packaging/disc errors since it's release.
Old 01-15-11, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jsz1002
I don't understand why everybody was willing to take a chance on this set. It's been plagued with problems with packaging/disc errors since it's release.
to get 8 Hitchcock movies I didn't have, not much of a bet at $25. I guess I got lucky though because my set wasn't shattered and all the movies work fine.

they're selling them on ebay now for the same price for those who didn't get buy one and want to take a chance btw
Old 01-15-11, 08:41 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I was wondering if Fox assured the quality of the replacements for those who sent in defective sets. It would suck if they ended up sending out random copies that might have the same issues.
Old 01-15-11, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Got mine today, even though I never got a shipping notice and the website still says in process. It came in pretty much mint condition, no damage to the packaging. Haven't opened it yet to see how the discs are.
Old 01-16-11, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Got mine today, even though I never got a shipping notice and the website still says in process. It came in pretty much mint condition, no damage to the packaging. Haven't opened it yet to see how the discs are.
Can you please tell me where the package shipped from ? I am awaiting the shipment here in CA and am not sure where its coming from. TIA
Old 01-17-11, 06:19 AM

I threw in "Notorious," kept hitting the chapters and it briefly froze at the 1 hr 5 minute point...otherwise looks fine.

Other than a hairline crack on the bottom of the plastic, the packaging's OK.
Old 01-17-11, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jsz1002
Because Fox is sending out replacement sets for defective ones?
Old 01-17-11, 06:12 PM

I received my copy today. small cracks along the top and bottom. I can live with it. I just put in notorious and went chapter to chapter.. no freezing at all. The disc was cloudy a bit and my package did have the orange dot next to the upc.
Old 01-17-11, 06:21 PM

woah! I think the Orange Dot ones must be a previous return. I was looking at all the discs and the last disc "The Paradine Case" was covered in finger prints.
Old 01-17-11, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Got mine today, cracked plastic on the front bottom... but still a good deal.

Edit: I am wondering how underhanded it is to purchase a pristine new one at B&N then return the cracked on to their store.
Old 01-17-11, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Got mine today, cracked plastic on the front bottom... but still a good deal.

Edit: I am wondering how underhanded it is to purchase a pristine new one at B&N then return the cracked on to their store.
The fact that you are thinking out loud on it and announcing it to the world means you know on some count, you are wrong in doing it. Please don't. You'll be proud of yourself a few weeks later. The discs on this set work just fine. I purchased a previous set from Costco and while some run noisily, the playback is just fine.
Old 01-17-11, 09:13 PM

received mine today by UPS. Just a plastic wrap that's all. Thankfully, the case is intact with no shattering or chipping. Set has Orange sticker on bottom but discs look just like the ones in the set purchased from Costco a few months before. Not bad for this price at all. Will make a perfect gift
Old 01-18-11, 11:14 AM

Notorious, The Lodger and Sabotage play just fine for me. (No orange dot on my set, but it did have a white UPC sticker on the sleeve inside the cellophane; different from inside UPC.) A little Duco cement fixed the box. Unless one of the other discs craps out, I've gotten well more than my money's worth.
Old 01-18-11, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by CalebAndCo
Notorious, The Lodger and Sabotage play just fine for me. (No orange dot on my set, but it did have a white UPC sticker on the sleeve inside the cellophane; different from inside UPC.) A little Duco cement fixed the box. Unless one of the other discs craps out, I've gotten well more than my money's worth.
Despite being such an old movie, I was very impressed with 'The Lodger'...there are some frame compositions in that movie that's so well done for its time...AH was clearly talented. And the fact that its a silent movie that does not strip it off its merit any which way. Just IMHO. Notorious is another great classic...Ingrid Bergman !!! what a beautiful woman

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.