Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Hamilton Books

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-14, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: Hamilton Books

Here's my last order - and some *great* bargains!

Old Mother Riley: British Cinema Collection - *DVD 7.95 (Amazon - $25)
Supersonic Man/The War of the Robots - *DVD 5.95 (Amazon MP vendor - $29.95)
Black Arrow: Complete Series - *DVD 6.95 (Amazon MP vendor - $49.99)
Beast Collection - *DVD 11.95 (Amazon MP vendor - $28.95)
Flesh for Frankenstein - *DVD 5.95 (Amazon - $22)

Supersonic Man, Black Arrow, and Beast Collection are all OOP.

I found more really good deals but just don't have the budget at the moment... with luck some will still be available next month.

Don't look for Black Arrow as it's no longer listed on the site. Fortunately I still had it in my basket and was able to check out with it but a search came up empty. I got my shipping confirmation today and it's on the list! This is the second time I've had this happen but I *really* don't want to make it a habit!
Old 04-07-14, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Received both packages on my birthday.

$5.95 Punishment Park DVD. Listed as OS but good enough to be Current. No bar code slash. Comes w/ 24-page booklet. *Sniff* Ahh, factory sealed physical media from 2005!
Old 04-08-14, 09:31 AM

FWIW there's a region 2 edition of The Black Arrow.
Old 04-08-14, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the orders guys! We have added a new batch of titles, if you go to the power search and use 4/1/2014 as the "added since" date you'll get them.

Nothing too special honestly (and I'm the guy who bought them!) but there's some ok shriek show/media blasters stuff.

I'm (supposed to be) headed off for vacation for a few weeks so will be gone and not able to answer any Qs, but will check in when I get back.
Old 05-21-14, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a pricing question for YOU GUYS this time: What would you consider a fair sell price for the good version of Star Wars: A New Hope?

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Two-...%3A+a+new+hope
Old 05-21-14, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Obviously we don't know what you paid for it, but my initial reaction would be to try it around 50% off the going rate, so $34.99 to $39.99. You can always go lower, but at least at the start you don't want it to be so low that you get, for example, 20,000 orders for a few hundred copies. Sending out all those free shipping offers, and mailing all those checks would have to be a headache. I don't know others' mentality, but starting in that price range would seem to me that you're making an effort, and hopefully it would last long enough to take care of all those who sent initial orders, and then maybe you could incrementally lower it as time goes on, if that seems wise.
Old 05-21-14, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

open an Amazon seller account.
Old 05-21-14, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Haha well you've both kind of hit upon my problem, though in differing ways.

As Strapped says, I do NOT want to oversell it, not only for my own headaches but because I do not like to disappoint the customer.

In an odd way though That'sAllFolks also has hit upon my issue....my customer is largely NOT an Amazon customer, and may be unlikely to order the title at a crazy(to them) price, even if that price is half of Amazons best. Or perhaps even understand why it would cost so much, even if I explain it to them in the copy. Somehow I'm picturing a lot of "Who the hell is Greedo and who said he didn't shoot first?" type reactions if I try to sell it too high.

I have a decent amount so they're going to be cheaper than $34.99 for sure, I appreciate the input guys and anyone else wants to chime in, go ahead.
Old 05-21-14, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm usually a conservative person, when it comes to this sort of a thing at least, so I was thinking that a higher price point would be acceptable for those of your customers who are aware of it, even if that's only in the dozens or low hundreds. It also would be protection in case someone from a more "aware" site linked to you and drove in unexpected customers. If you're going to get a run by a lot of "order just for this" sort of people then you might as well maximize the profits imho.

But perhaps it's harder to subsequently lower the price then seems obvious to me as an outsider, or maybe you're more concerned with how regular customers would react, even if this one would be an outlier. I've seen instances where you're as expensive, or even more expensive, than Amazon, so my initial thought was that being so much lower than them would be enough, even if it's still a higher than usual price for you, but if the majority of your customers aren't in common with them, then I guess that's totally, or mostly, irrelevant.
Old 05-21-14, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
I'm usually a conservative person, when it comes to this sort of a thing at least, so I was thinking that a higher price point would be acceptable for those of your customers who are aware of it, even if that's only in the dozens or low hundreds. It also would be protection in case someone from a more "aware" site linked to you and drove in unexpected customers. If you're going to get a run by a lot of "order just for this" sort of people then you might as well maximize the profits imho.

But perhaps it's harder to subsequently lower the price then seems obvious to me as an outsider, or maybe you're more concerned with how regular customers would react, even if this one would be an outlier. I've seen instances where you're as expensive, or even more expensive, than Amazon, so my initial thought was that being so much lower than them would be enough, even if it's still a higher than usual price for you, but if the majority of your customers aren't in common with them, then I guess that's totally, or mostly, irrelevant.

Strapped, lowering the price after the fact is not hard, though it does cause some issues--it's definitely that I am just more worried about how my normal customer will react to it, and you guys are the most 1 to 1 contact I have in that regard (even though I bet you all are way more web saavy bunch than my regular mail order folks).

I want to sell to my regular customers, not to flippers or re-sellers. At the same time, if I put it at $14.95 (seriously my original target price when I thought it was the redone version) some guy somewhere is gonna buy 200 to flip--which I don't care about honestly but I'd rather serve people who legitimately want the movie!

I guess I am trying to walk the middle line which is always hard--I'm going to have to risk re-sellers cherry picking me in order to serve my regular customer the best, which means a sub 25$ price tops. Appreciate the input man, what I really didn't want to do was go so far over that I look like a gouger to the regular customer....I think (hope) I'm right in the middle for both camps. I can satisfy my regulars and at least limit the re-sellers.

Last edited by GoldenWheels; 05-21-14 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-21-14, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks very much for the in-depth response, I was more musing on my thought process than anything else. I definitely understand that you don't want to offend the regular customers who don't know the value of this, but I can't help but wondering if those customers seeing one unusual price will be that offended? Maybe they will, but I honestly wonder. If I were to see it, unaware of the situation, then I would just categorize it as one amongst the $20+ range, like say the Odyssey 5 tv set, and either shrug it off, or add it to my wish list to check in on again in a few months.

As for resellers, is it possible to make a quantity limit? Online, mail order, or both? Most people just need one, and even if regular customers wanted to order more for friends and family then a limit like 8-10 would seem like it would fit any reasonable need. Perhaps you could make an extended write-up, mentioning the oop, the high after-market price and encouraging people to call/e-mail/write if they needed more than 7, or 12 or whatever. I would guess that the more you explain the situation, then the more understanding the regular customers would be, and might also appreciate the honesty and being clued into the larger situation too. Pulled off well, where the customers feel how you're trying to look out for them, it might be a real win/win for you. That being said, I'm no expert, just one customer, and there could be ramifications from a different approach that aren't immediately obvious. It's easy for me, or any of us, to play arm-chair marketing consultant, but of course you have to live with the consequences.

Best of luck with whatever you ultimately decide.
Old 05-21-14, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmm...I'll admit that thought a limit is somewhat hard to enforce, I do see how it could be seen as looking out for the customer and they might really appreciate it. Good idea, I'm going to think on that!
Old 05-21-14, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You're welcome. I hope it works if you do try it, and even if it is unenforceable, you could put in some language to encourage it. Something like "Due to the expected demand for this item, and our desire that as many people as possible have the opportunity to order it, we would appreciate it if you only place orders for what you think you will need for yourself, friends and family. Thank you for your understanding, our chief goal here is to look out for as many of our customers as possible".
Old 05-21-14, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
...I want to sell to my regular customers, not to flippers or re-sellers. At the same time, if I put it at $14.95 (seriously my original target price when I thought it was the redone version) some guy somewhere is gonna buy 200 to flip--which I don't care about honestly but I'd rather serve people who legitimately want the movie!

I guess I am trying to walk the middle line which is always hard--I'm going to have to risk re-sellers cherry picking me in order to serve my regular customer the best, which means a sub 25$ price tops. Appreciate the input man, what I really didn't want to do was go so far over that I look like a gouger to the regular customer....I think (hope) I'm right in the middle for both camps. I can satisfy my regulars and at least limit the re-sellers.
I was going to post this earlier but held off to see what othesr said and to see if you offered more information. So...

The original MSRP for that title is $19.98 which is a pretty good price (I got mine for less than half that but it was a BF deal shortly after release). Considering it's OOP and going for triple or more that price at Amazon I'd think anyone *really* wanting it would pay ~$30 BUT considering how you normally price things, what you've indicated your regular customer base typically goes for, and your comments above I'd start with $25 ($24.95 for those who mistakenly think of that as $24). Maybe a few $$ more but not much. People who *know* the title *and* do not already own a copy will probably go for it at that price. I think if you went too much more than $25 you'd look like a gouger, which you've indicated you want to avoid. If they don't move at ~$25 then do the normal price drop like you already do for slower moving titles. I think a $25 price would *partially* discourage "flippers" but considering it's going for $80+ on Amazon I'm sure many would take advantage of that price if they could get $50-$60 for it as a MP seller. I'd also suggest a limit per person but that can be very difficult to police and enforce. Just look at all the "slickdealers" who admit to creating multiple accounts at vendors to get around such stipulations. I also like Strapped4Cash's idea of a text disclaimer of some type.
Old 05-21-14, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is going for $40 on Amazon. Anybody that would pay $20 for more than 3 copies to flip is an idiot. Things do not fly off the shelves at Amazon unless they are really cheap. I would expect that anyone that buys 3 copies of this to flip for $40 bucks on Amazon will not sell all 3 copies until around Christmas. The investment simply is not worth the profit, considering the time and actual profit ($14 profit at $20 purchase and $40 sold price). Of course you could sell it for $30 and 3 copies would probably sell in a month or so, but then you only make about $5/copy. Bottom line, it's not worth it for the intelligent investor, unless he has a lot of money to tie up in product.

Even if they stuck them all on as auctions and let them get bid up, their profit after fees, shipping, etc would probably not exceed $5 per unit.

I've seen it though and people are either stuck with a bunch of inventory or just make pennies on the dollar profit. People buying stuff at Big Lots and then selling it for 5 bucks and making about .75 after fees. I used to buy a lot of stuff from a flipper on eBay and get Big Lots DVDs that would have cost me over $3 with tax for between $1-$2 avg. I don't know why the guy kept doing it. He finally cratered.

Bottom line - I think 20-25 will discourage most investors and keep it at a reasonable price for your customers.
Old 05-21-14, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a pricing question for YOU GUYS this time: What would you consider a fair sell price for the good version of Star Wars: A New Hope?

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Two-...%3A+a+new+hope
Here's a list of the copies being sold on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Star-Wars-DV..._all_qqq_85268

Wow. I bought the 2-disc Star Wars DVDs at Target for $10 each. A long long time ago in a chain store not very far away.

I guess it depends how many Star Wars fans still want the 2nd DVD with the letterboxed theatrical version. A lot of SW fans just sighed & accepted the changes to upgrade to Blu-ray. Some would rather download a pirated rip than pay collector's prices for the actual disc.

It really comes down to: how many HB fans are huge Star Wars nerds, and how many of them procrastinate buying things when they're still in print?

Speaking as a HB customer with no deep affinity for SW, I wouldn't pay more than $10 for a new copy of A New Hope! (I'd pay more for a Mondo Macabro DVD )

(I'd be much more interested in a widescreen transfer of the 1971 theatrical cut of THX-1138, but that doesn't exist on DVD or Blu-ray. We're stuck with CGI monkeys replacing subterranean dwarfs.)

Maybe you should sell A New Hope in a 2-pack with one of the Wizard VHS tapes.

All joking aside, I'm happy to find this thread active again! I'll have to peruse HB's recent acquisitions.
Old 05-21-14, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, Golden, now I have a real question.

Do you have a list of the Code Red DVDs stocked? My publisher power search method isn't helping because all the CR DVD's I've found have a different publisher name.

Ex:

Osco (The Being/Copkiller)
Vice (Voodoo Dolls/Madonna)
Saturn (exploitation cinema double features)

Thank you!
Old 05-21-14, 10:52 PM

I see 5 CRs when doing the publisher PS and they say CR as the publisher. I see you keep cutting the price on Virginity. Sucks he gave you the titles that are not selling. He pays storage on 31000 dvds/BDs and wouldn't you think that would kill all the profits? His prices are astronomical. I still can't believe I caved and bought 4. The prints are the worst in my entire dvd collection excluding PD stuff. And the menus are skimped on mightily. At least all were double features.

None of those listed above come up:
Day Beach
Score Girls
Running Hot
Malibu Weekend
Virginity

Also I don't see why Scorpion wouldn't sell you any cause he sells them through ordinary distributor channels anyway.
Old 05-22-14, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by triste realtà
I see 5 CRs when doing the publisher PS and they say CR as the publisher.
I did see those. Forgot to mention them. I suppose they are among CR's less memorable titles.

Bill always complains online how little his DVD's sell. And he'll be bitching and moaning about how his DVDs didn't sell at HB, when he could have easily sent HB ones that would sell. Does he even appreciate how patient & hardworking GoldenWheels' been?

GoldenWheels, I hope he didn't charge you too much because I fear he's sent you the bottom of the barrel.

At least Synapse treats you well.

He pays storage on 31000 dvds/BDs and wouldn't you think that would kill all the profits? His prices are astronomical.
Code Red's trouble seems to be its own self-fulfilling prophecy. I wonder if he deliberately makes such bad decisions because he enjoys bitching about them.

Also I don't see why Scorpion wouldn't sell you any cause he sells them through ordinary distributor channels anyway.
Not only that, but there's been a long-time seller on Amazon who's regularly stocked CR and Scorpion DVDs over the years.
-------------------

On a positive note, I noticed that HB has some great bargains on Cult Epics DVDs. Driller Killer for $2!

Also noticed a few cheap Severin Blu-rays.
Old 05-22-14, 12:53 AM

the_exterminator is Bill.

I think he sees some OOP Code Red selling for big bucks along with what other online dvd label stores sell theirs for and it appears normal but they also have regular distribution where it's cheaper. I guess he's selling enough to stay afloat or committing marketplace suicide.

And also thanks for the heads up on some of these cheapies at HB.
Old 05-22-14, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the_exterminator is Bill.

I think he sees some OOP Code Red selling for big bucks along with what other online dvd label stores sell theirs for and it appears normal but they also have regular distribution where it's cheaper. I guess he's selling enough to stay afloat or committing marketplace suicide.
Apparently he's still over at Latarnia's Nightmare USA forum bitching. And probably still denying that he's the_exterminator.

I followed the Code Red threads a while ago but gave up. Ghostkeeper's the one title I bought directly from CR. I got all the ones I wanted when they were in print. I'm too broke to spend $24 blind buying DVDs w/ poor transfers of films I've never seen before.

And also thanks for the heads up on some of these cheapies at HB.
My pleasure. I hope posting these partially atone for my off-topic tangents!

Some Scream Factory BD's for $13 too.

Mondo Macabro's DON'T OPEN TILL CHRISTMAS DVD is a steal at $8.

And they still have the $1 Synapse DVDs in stock! I ordered all of these some time ago. Even though they're not listed as "Current" none of them had cut-out marks. PATRICK's an excellent film & a steal at $1.
Old 05-22-14, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bob and That'sAll, thanks again!

Living: I have no idea how those CR titles ended up with those publishers in our system except to guess that is what is on the spine for some reason (our copy writers are pretty literal in this regard). What is show invoice wise as being Code Red (which should be everything we have, I think):

Being/Copkillers
Day at the Beach
Unknown Comedy Special/Art of Nude Bowling
Challenge the Dragon/The Needle Avenger
Cheering Section/King Frat
Secrets of Sweet Sixteen/Looking Good
How to Score with Girls/White Rat
Supervan/Jail Bait Babysitter
Velvet Trap/Hot Nights on Campus
Deliver us from Evil/The Fox Affair
Teenage Graffiti/Teenage Mother
Running Hot
Voodoo Dolls/Madonna
Wacky Taxi/Superargo
Wild Malibu Weekend
Virginity

Some are doing well, most just OK. I never know how this kind of stuff will sell. I would like to do biz with Scorpion as well but just have had no time to pursue adding new vendors lately. It's a pain in the butt process even when the vendor is perfect!
Old 05-22-14, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank you, Golden.

I would like to do biz with Scorpion as well but just have had no time to pursue adding new vendors lately. It's a pain in the butt process even when the vendor is perfect!
Btw, if I ever requested you carry Scorpion titles, I formally retract that request. Their product doesn't interest me enough to request you subject yourself to the pain in the ass of dealing with them!
Old 05-23-14, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
Thank you, Golden.

Btw, if I ever requested you carry Scorpion titles, I formally retract that request. Their product doesn't interest me enough to request you subject yourself to the pain in the ass of dealing with them!
Haha well I do it out of a sense of pride too....I want to carry every interesting label I can, period. Especially in regards to weird/cult stuff.

I always have a list of prospects to pursue on slow days....I just don't get as many slow days as I used to. It's not that I think Scorpion would be a particular pain, it's just that new accounts are always some work setting up. Still, gotta keep new stuff coming in!
Old 05-24-14, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

What exactly does it mean if an item in my cart says "This item may not be available for immediate shipment."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.