Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Hamilton Books

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-14, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hamilton Books

One surprising item available from Hamilton is the Canadian edition of the second season of the revival of The Outer Limits. Only season 1 has had releases in the rest of the world.

http://www.hamiltonbook.com/the-oute...-second-season
Old 02-19-14, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

WOW! According to my order status email the order I placed on the 18th *shipped* the same day! Fastest service ever!!

Have ya'll changed something Rich? Normally a order takes a couple-three days to go out.
Old 02-21-14, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
WOW! According to my order status email the order I placed on the 18th *shipped* the same day! Fastest service ever!!

Have ya'll changed something Rich? Normally a order takes a couple-three days to go out.
I really wish I could say we have Bob....I think it's maybe just because we are simply more caught up though!

I will say the DVD only customers have an advantage to some degree....we're a still book company at heart and get less orders for DVDs than books. And DVDs are also fulfilled out of a separate warehouse with an independent crew. So the DVD op tends to stay more caught up than the book side.

There has been a TON of product available in the first few months of the year guys, look here for some (in a month or so), I am quite sure your favorite Big Lots is also going to be getting lots, etc. There is lots of good studio product getting released.
Old 02-24-14, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received one of my orders today.

$6 Hatchet For the Honeymoon (Kino)
$13 Clonus (Mondo Macabro)

Clonus (aka "Parts: The Clonus Horror") is a really underrated 70's sci-fi flick. This OOP Mondo Macabro DVD is great and the film is much better seen uncut in anamorphic widescreen than the fuzzy pan-and-scan edit shown on MST3K. It's also the movie Michael Bay's The Island allegedly ripped off. It's worth checking out, IMO. HB's the only place that has it for a decent price right now.
Old 02-24-14, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My DVD order arrived today. Even USPS was faster this time. Total time under a week... I don't know what happened this time but I'm not complaining!
Old 02-28-14, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Got my first ever order from Hamilton Books not too long ago for a bunch of Synapse Films titles.

Very happy and will definitely be ordering from again!
Old 03-04-14, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another 2 DVD shipments arrived.

A GREAT bargain I'm surprised nobody's brought up yet:

The COLUMBIA PICTURES FILM NOIR CLASSICS I box set for only $15! It's not listed as current but there was no slash in the bar code. I didn't order Volume II but they have it at the same price. These Sony sets had high retail prices. I'm glad just to have The Line-Up on DVD with that great James Ellroy commentary.

PATRICK: Special Edition $1.00
FROM A WHISPER TO A SCREAM / THEATRE OF BLOOD* $3.95
1984 / MEGAVILLE $5.95**
"HANDS OF THE RIPPER": The Hammer Horror Collection*** $9.95
SYNGENOR: Special Edition $1.00
STRANGE BEHAVIOR: Special Edition $1.00
ASSAULT! Jack the Ripper $9.95
FILM NOIR CLASSICS I: The Collector's Choice $14.95

*Pleasant surprise. Even though Theater of Blood's listed on the back as 4x3 Letterboxed, it appears to be 16x9 enhanced. At least on my monitor it was.

**Unfortunately this is a DVD-r. Wasn't aware of that. Oh well, I'll settle for 1984, but I'm not going to go on a TGG buying spree. I recently received The Hospital / Bank Shot via DVD swapping and that turned out to be DVD-r too. Fuck TGG.

***Question for GoldenWheels: Do you think you'll be releasing any more Hamilton-Exclusive Synapse DVDs? I know you have Frankenhooker & Twins of Evil on DVD but those are no longer really "exclusive" since Synapse put those single DVDs on the marketplace. But it's great having the option to buy the DVD for half as much as the DVD/BD combo pack.
Old 03-04-14, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
1984 / MEGAVILLE $5.95**

**Unfortunately this is a DVD-r. Wasn't aware of that. Oh well, I'll settle for 1984, but I'm not going to go on a TGG buying spree. I recently received The Hospital / Bank Shot via DVD swapping and that turned out to be DVD-r too.
Thanks for that info! I had that one in my cart but knowing it's a MOD means it's a no-sale for me! It takes a "holy grail" of *very* high order before I'll even consider a MOD much less purchase one.
Old 03-05-14, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another 2 DVD shipments arrived.

The COLUMBIA PICTURES FILM NOIR CLASSICS I box set for only $15! It's not listed as current but there was no slash in the bar code. I didn't order Volume II but they have it at the same price. These Sony sets had high retail prices. I'm glad just to have The Line-Up on DVD with that great James Ellroy commentary.

PATRICK: Special Edition $1.00
FROM A WHISPER TO A SCREAM / THEATRE OF BLOOD* $3.95
1984 / MEGAVILLE $5.95**
"HANDS OF THE RIPPER": The Hammer Horror Collection*** $9.95
SYNGENOR: Special Edition $1.00
STRANGE BEHAVIOR: Special Edition $1.00
ASSAULT! Jack the Ripper $9.95
FILM NOIR CLASSICS I: The Collector's Choice $14.95

*Pleasant surprise. Even though Theater of Blood's listed on the back as 4x3 Letterboxed, it appears to be 16x9 enhanced. At least on my monitor it was.

**Unfortunately this is a DVD-r. Wasn't aware of that. Oh well, I'll settle for 1984, but I'm not going to go on a TGG buying spree. I recently received The Hospital / Bank Shot via DVD swapping and that turned out to be DVD-r too. Fuck TGG.

***Question for GoldenWheels: Do you think you'll be releasing any more Hamilton-Exclusive Synapse DVDs? I know you have Frankenhooker & Twins of Evil on DVD but those are no longer really "exclusive" since Synapse put those single DVDs on the marketplace. But it's great having the option to buy the DVD for half as much as the DVD/BD combo pack.
For whatever reason, even though it should fall RIGHT SMACK DAB in my customer base, we do not sell film noir well. I don't get it.

Sorry about the DVD-Rs! I am sad to see companies go this route frankly.

I will likely do no more exclusive DVDs with Synapse or anyone (don't forget Hands of the Ripper btw!). They are great guys and I like working with them but the bottom line just never added up--frankly I may be still selling Frankenhooker when my kids are in college.

I THINK Synapse is going to take care of you re the next Hammer (Countess Dracula)also having a DVD edition only. Not sure, but I think so.
Old 03-06-14, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
For whatever reason, even though it should fall RIGHT SMACK DAB in my customer base, we do not sell film noir well. I don't get it.
For me it depends on the manufacturer & box set. I'm not interested in those VCI Film Noir double features. But the 5-Disc Sony sets are things of beauty. Great transfers, good bonus features. 1 film per disc.

Want to know what's funny? The 5-DVD set with The Lineup is $14.95. The Lineup is also being sold alone as a Sony MOD DVD for a higher price! That has to be a sure sign Sony is phasing out their genuine DVDs for a future of MOD.

Sorry about the DVD-Rs! I am sad to see companies go this route frankly.
Not your fault. My issue with TGG is they're deceitful about it. I don't want to complain about it here, but I just posted a detailed reply to the TGG thread regarding their microscopic DVD-r logo (and other things).

*sigh* It's too bad the old MGM DVD of 1984 is so long OOP.

(don't forget Hands of the Ripper btw!).
How could I forget it, it arrived on Monday!

They are great guys and I like working with them but the bottom line just never added up--frankly I may be still selling Frankenhooker when my kids are in college.
Give them copies to play for their dorm roommates.

Okay, Golden. Earlier in the thread you offered to check specific DVDs for remainder marks. After receiving and returning a UPC-slashed copy of Left Bank to Amazon, I'm wondering if you could see if there are any slashes on:

LEFT BANK DVD (Item #: 4478940)

I won't make a habit of this. So far all the non-current DVDs I've bought from you have been like new. But I'm wondering if the IFC DVDs in general have the case & bar code slashed. If your copies of LEFT BANK are unmarked I'll definitely buy one. I know you're busy so I'll be patient.

Last edited by Living Deadpan; 03-06-14 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-06-14, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, Golden. Earlier in the thread you offered to check specific DVDs for remainder marks. After receiving and returning a UPC-slashed copy of Left Bank to Amazon, I'm wondering if you could see if there are any slashes on:

LEFT BANK DVD (Item #: 4478940)

I won't make a habit of this. So far all the non-current DVDs I've bought from you have been like new. But I'm wondering if the IFC DVDs in general have the case & bar code slashed. If your copies of LEFT BANK are unmarked I'll definitely buy one. I know you're busy so I'll be patient.
No worries,, I hope to know by end of day!

EDIT: Sorry, they are slashed. I'm guessing most of the IFC stuff will be the same way. Though the big studios tend to care a lot, and then sometimes not care at all, about following through on remainder marks, I find the smaller studios tend to do it one way all the time and stick to it.

Last edited by GoldenWheels; 03-06-14 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-06-14, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No worries,, I hope to know by end of day!

EDIT: Sorry, they are slashed. I'm guessing most of the IFC stuff will be the same way.
Appreciate it! I guess I shouldn't hold it against IFC so much as MPI?

Though the big studios tend to care a lot, and then sometimes not care at all, about following through on remainder marks, I find the smaller studios tend to do it one way all the time and stick to it.
How about a quick small label rundown:

Synapse - I've ordered multiple copies of the non-current $1 DVDs, none have been slashed. Are Synapse consistently non-slash with the other non-current DVDs? Any trends with CAV-distributed labels in general?
Dark Sky - I've thought of getting Jess Franco's Count Dracula. But I think Dark Sky's run by MPI too. Does MPI slash all their distributed label DVDs like they do IFC?

I don't know why I'm asking since I already own the DVD. But as it is OOP and hard to find a brand new unslashed copy, Image's FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN (Item #: 4450396) would be a great purchase.

No hurry at all on this one. I'm sure some others would want this if it was unslashed. And if they don't, I can be greedy and buy it for resale on Ebay.

Looking forward to the studio DVDs you'll be getting!

I appreciate your fast & helpful responses! I hope HB pays you well, your helpful responses have definitely been an incentive for me to keep buying DVDs from HB!
Old 03-06-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Appreciate it! I guess I shouldn't hold it against IFC so much as MPI?

How about a quick small label rundown:

Synapse - I've ordered multiple copies of the non-current $1 DVDs, none have been slashed. Are Synapse consistently non-slash with the other non-current DVDs? Any trends with CAV-distributed labels in general?
Dark Sky - I've thought of getting Jess Franco's Count Dracula. But I think Dark Sky's run by MPI too. Does MPI slash all their distributed label DVDs like they do IFC?

I don't know why I'm asking since I already own the DVD. But as it is OOP and hard to find a brand new unslashed copy, Image's FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN (Item #: 4450396) would be a great purchase.

No hurry at all on this one. I'm sure some others would want this if it was unslashed. And if they don't, I can be greedy and buy it for resale on Ebay.

Looking forward to the studio DVDs you'll be getting!

I appreciate your fast & helpful responses! I hope HB pays you well, your helpful responses have definitely been an incentive for me to keep buying DVDs from HB!
It very likely may be at MPIs direction but that is not to say that slashes aren't something IFC would want anyway. Some companies/distributors really feel the marks are important, other could not even be bothered to mark them and see no point in it. All depends on the guy in charge and what he thinks.

Synapse afaik has always been, and should be, clean. When I get deals from them I am direct with them and they treat me very very well.

I don't get a ton of OS from CAV but at least some of it has been slashed. I got some Fantoma stuff when they moved over, some was, some wasn't, as I recall. I have some Cult Epics OS coming in now, I will take a look at it before it gets in.

Dark Sky is probably all slashed....I know Jess Franco's Count Dracula and a few other key titles always seem to be.

I will check on Flesh for Frankenstein--manager at other warehouse is on lunch right now. (What a great trashy movie btw. I like it much better than Blood for Dracula.)

We don't have a huge BREADTH of great studio stuff coming in but I have a few keys titles I feel sure will appeal to lots of folks even if just from a "damn that's a good deal" perspective (so boy do I hope I am right!). They are here but will not be live until some time around the 19th. I'll list them here when they can be ordered.

And thank YOU for being a customer and giving us a chance! (I am well taken care of here but am also just plain lucky...I love movies, love DVDs, and that's a big part of my job.)
Old 03-08-14, 01:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The COLUMBIA PICTURES FILM NOIR CLASSICS I box set for only $15! It's not listed as current but there was no slash in the bar code.
Thanks for the tip! I ordered a copy, err, several days ago. I also bought the "Roger Corman's Cult Classics" sci-fi collection that includes "Attack of the Crab Monsters" for $9.95, one Fox Noir ("Shock") for $3.95, and a crime blind buy, 1935's "Let 'Em Have It" for $3.95. Good stuff at great prices.

@GoldenWheels: while my noir wants list is shrinking rapidly, if you can acquire more of Fox's 24-volume noir collection and at sub-$5 prices, I will be sure to at least have a look!
Old 03-11-14, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I recommend checking out the recent Price Cuts for DVDs and Blu-rays. I've seen some titles reduced since I checked them out last week. A few I know were lowered

Hatchet For the Honeymoon DVD $3.95 (was $5.95 when I bought it!) [Kino]
Don't Open Till Christmas DVD $7.95 [Mondo Macabro]
The Nest BD/DVD $11.95 [Shout Factory]
Eagles Over London BD $9.95 [Severin]

I observed some other reductions from the boutique labels listed, among others.
-----------------------------------

Re: Hands of the Ripper DVD, which I recently bought:

Aww. I'm slightly disappointed the DVD doesn't contain the isolated music track. It's not a deal breaker, haha. I just dig isolated audio tracks and get annoyed when labels make bonus features Blu-ray exclusive (WB, Fox and Sony seem to do this a lot). At least Synapse ported over all the others. I'm looking at my combo packs for TWINS OF EVIL and VAMPIRE CIRCUS. Only the latter has the isolated music track on the DVD too.
Old 03-11-14, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by thetao
Thanks for the tip! I ordered a copy, err, several days ago. I also bought the "Roger Corman's Cult Classics" sci-fi collection that includes "Attack of the Crab Monsters" for $9.95, one Fox Noir ("Shock") for $3.95, and a crime blind buy, 1935's "Let 'Em Have It" for $3.95. Good stuff at great prices.
I don't suppose you know if any of the Fox Noir DVDs have commentaries w/ James Ellroy, do you?

So far the only movies I know he's been on commentaries for are The Lineup, Crime Wave & Zodiac.
Old 03-11-14, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Living--Flesh is unmarked. BUT, I have to put that out therewith a big BUT: everything we have on the shelf, open (about a case) is unmarked. There is NO reason to assume anything still cased is marked but: It was bought as OS so I do not like to say these things are 100% sure, because I cannot be 100% sure, I can only be like 99.99999% sure. And I just can't open them all to find out.

OTOH, when I see ANY marks on a title, I will say you must assume they all are--but that doesn't mean they actually will be.

I am trying to keep you guys safe in your buying decisions as best I can. So let's call these safe bets at best, not sure things.
Old 03-11-14, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by thetao

@GoldenWheels: while my noir wants list is shrinking rapidly, if you can acquire more of Fox's 24-volume noir collection and at sub-$5 prices, I will be sure to at least have a look!
I can only buy what I get offered but it's now in the mental rolodex for reference!
Old 03-11-14, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Living--Flesh is unmarked. BUT, I have to put that out therewith a big BUT: everything we have on the shelf, open (about a case) is unmarked. There is NO reason to assume anything still cased is marked but: It was bought as OS so I do not like to say these things are 100% sure, because I cannot be 100% sure, I can only be like 99.99999% sure. And I just can't open them all to find out.
Well you definitely deserve recognition for not selling any OS titles as Brand New. This can be a problem with 3rd Party sellers on Amazon & Ebay. Or even Amazon-affiliated surplus vendors like Prime Merchants and Warehouse Deals.
I am trying to keep you guys safe in your buying decisions as best I can. So let's call these safe bets at best, not sure things.
It's an honest and honorable policy. Very much appreciate it!
----------------------

Now back to posting purchases for other readers & bargain hunters. I just ordered 2 brand new price-reduced DVDs:

CLONUS $11.95
THE SADIST WITH RED TEETH / FORBIDDEN PARIS $12.95

I recommend checking out the full list of price-cut DVDs, Blu-rays and VHS: http://www.hamiltonbook.com/closeout...=5&pf%5B6%5D=6
Old 03-12-14, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Living is RIGHT on it, I cut those prices only a few days ago. I only cut DVD once every two months, the frequency of the DVD catalog. I can let you guys know when they are done if you would like.
Old 03-14-14, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Living is RIGHT on it, I cut those prices only a few days ago. I only cut DVD once every two months, the frequency of the DVD catalog. I can let you guys know when they are done if you would like.
Definitely keep the price cut notifications and links for them coming, GW. Thanks.

I'm always looking for smaller label stuff like VCI, Roan, Something Weird, Retromedia old Image releases, etc. if you remember and come across some. I noticed a few in this latest round of cuts. And always Timeless TV, which never seems to be discounted much anywhere.
Old 03-15-14, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Definitely keep the price cut notifications and links for them coming, GW. Thanks.

I'm always looking for smaller label stuff like VCI, Roan, Something Weird, Retromedia old Image releases, etc. if you remember and come across some. I noticed a few in this latest round of cuts. And always Timeless TV, which never seems to be discounted much anywhere.
Will do on the price cuts! I do'em myself so very easy to keep up on keeping you guys notified.

VCI does good OS lists once or twice I year that I see. With them moving to more and more MODs though, I suspect that will dry up. If the OS dries up, that means (IMO anyway) the bargains dry up.

Something Weird is a tough one...I'd like to do a new deal with them as we have exhausted their library at the current pricing (sold it for quite a while now), so it is time for some bargain dealing to reinvigorate it--but with Mike Vraney's passing I have no idea who handles what there now.

I will say we put in a new batch of Timeless OS just now but it is largely not the westerns. What is often OSed is the Red Skeltons, etc. (And I know it may seem odd to some but we sell the HELL out of that stuff so for me that is "the good stuff!")

If you use the power search, use the "added since" date of 3/14/2014 and change the binding to DVD. That will show all the new DVDs. You can also use a publisher to narrow it down more.
Old 03-15-14, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^^I typically do a Power Search and filter by Publisher to find those. It's really handy since the price cut is marked on the titles. That way if I'm not inclined to browse the entire list I can get those from the smaller labels fairly quickly.

*edit*

And I see GW beat me to the punch mentioning that method. I gotta get faster when posting!
Old 03-15-14, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh and while I did get a good studio order recently, as often happens fill was spotty, there's lots of folks competing for this stuff.. Of the five really great titles I wanted, I only got two, but I do feel they are pretty good deals.

Star Trek Enterprise: Season 1 $14.95

http://www.hamiltonbook.com/star-tre...e-first-season

Citizen Kane 70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition $14.95

http://www.hamiltonbook.com/citizen-...ectors-edition

Some neat stuff in general IMO from the new batch:

Fernando Arrabal Collection $11.95

http://www.hamiltonbook.com/the-fern...bal-collection

Polyester/Desperate Living: John Waters Collection $9.95

http://www.hamiltonbook.com/polyeste...ion-volume-two

Spider-Man 3: Venom Gift Set (statue) $19.95

http://www.hamiltonbook.com/spider-m...m-dvd-gift-set

There's a good size load of Kultur product in there at OS pricing as well guys, if you have a fine arts hankering this month. There's also a few more good bargains (as as my measuring stick I am using the almighty Amazon's lowest price) in here I am not gonna draw attention to as my quantity is less than I'd like. So you're on your own to find those!
Old 03-15-14, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
^^I typically do a Power Search and filter by Publisher to find those. It's really handy since the price cut is marked on the titles. That way if I'm not inclined to browse the entire list I can get those from the smaller labels fairly quickly.

*edit*

And I see GW beat me to the punch mentioning that method. I gotta get faster when posting!
Haha we are crossposting back and forth Bob!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.