Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-10, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Really wish F13 season 2 would show up at a local BLs....
Old 11-20-10, 12:30 AM

Looks like in addition to TV sets, there is a new wave of Columbia/Sony and Paramount Movies hitting. The $3 Big Lots prices sticker now has the store logo colored yellow. Guess that will mean something for inventory.

ORCA
Casualties of War (Special Edition)
Look Who's Talking
Foot Fist Way
Nothing In Common
What Planet are you From?
Old 11-20-10, 12:40 AM
Cool New Member

Some of the TV sets made it to the North Hollywood Big Lots on Vineland but it looks like someone must have already bought most of them. I bought Melrose Place Season 3. When I left, there was one copy of Laverne & Shirley Season 2, one copy of Laguna Beach and one copy of 7th Heaven. I found those all mixed in with the rest of the DVDs. I'm not sure what seasons.

Also, at the Van Nuys store on Sepulveda, there were two boxes of TV sets. I bought Mission Impossible and Cheers Season 3. There were more copies of Cheers, MacGyver, Brady Bunch, Star Trek, CSI, Twin Peaks, Sabrina and others.
Old 11-20-10, 11:48 AM
Cool New Member

The store on Vineland had the TV sets in a different section than normal. They were on a display shelf with other holiday gifts, to the left when you enter the store where the discounted books use to be. There were about three boxes with titles mentioned here before: Brotherhood S1, Laverne & Shirely S2, Resurrection Blvd S1, Twin Peaks S2, CSI Miami and more. This was on Wednesday.

Mr. Articulate, what store did you find Orca?
Old 11-20-10, 12:00 PM

Found @ the Vineland store: The Anderson Tapes (Sean Connery heist flick) & She's Having A Baby (John Hughes).

Found @ the Sepulveda store: Twin Peaks S.2, The Filth & The Fury (Sex Pistols Docu), & To Catch A
Thief.

Looking for Police Squad. If anyone has seen it at a SFV store, please let me know. Thanks!
Old 11-20-10, 02:05 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich is Poor
The store on Vineland had the TV sets in a different section than normal. They were on a display shelf with other holiday gifts, to the left when you enter the store where the discounted books use to be. There were about three boxes with titles mentioned here before: Brotherhood S1, Laverne & Shirely S2, Resurrection Blvd S1, Twin Peaks S2, CSI Miami and more. This was on Wednesday.

Mr. Articulate, what store did you find Orca?
Just got back from there, the TV sets are all gone now. They do have 3 or 4 trays of the new $3 Paramount and Sony titles people have mentioned, including Orca. Also:

Black Sunday
The Accused
Shirley Valentine
Old Gringo
Uncommon Valor
Old 11-20-10, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An update from Lancaster, PA: we're not getting the TV boxed sets.

In a way, it makes sense, because the Lancaster and York stores have NEVER received any quantities of TV shows. I've visited the other Central PA stores a few times, too (Hanover, Harrisburg E & W shores, Reading, and Lebanon) and have never seen any quantities of TV shows there either. I've been doing the Big Lots thing for well over a year, and the ONLY TV boxed sets I recall seeing are Coach Season 2, Kate & Allie Season 1, Grosse Point - Complete Series, and maybe something for Spin City. That's it!

I know this because I was in BL today and did something I'd never done before. I asked the manager. He said they did have DVD's in the stock room for BF, but it was all "kid's stuff", which another poster had mentioned. I assumed that because this was a special occasion, all stores would be getting something, but whatever distribution curse affects this region, it seems to be playing out again. Unless they get another shipment very shortly.

To everybody who has found the TV boxed sets at your local stores, are any of you in the mid-Atlantic states? I will be heading over to the Trading thread shortly...
Old 11-20-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What the f? Where were all the L.A. Valley reports yesterday before I went and found NOTHING at the Vineland store or the Sherman Way store? I could have saved gas and time if I had just waited one day later and read the above. Oh well.

Yes, some new Paramount and Columbia titles, which I forgot to report in my post yesterday. I also saw ORCA at the Vineland store, but didn't see the display of TV shows, such as it was. I wonder if they will put anymore out for BF or if, as usual, the L.A. stores have just gotten their usual whole lot of nothin.' I also wonder if the Sherman Way store, which has huge displays of DVDs, all of them months old, had the TV shows section somewhere else and I missed it?
Old 11-20-10, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope I can find Stella.
Old 11-20-10, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
What the f? Where were all the L.A. Valley reports yesterday before I went and found NOTHING at the Vineland store or the Sherman Way store? I could have saved gas and time if I had just waited one day later and read the above. Oh well.
I'm the Lancaster, PA guy and can only speak for my experiences in central PA. If you didn't speak with any employees at the LA stores, what you're looking for could still be in the stock room. The manager at the Lancaster store appeared to take the "hold until BF" status of the merchandise very seriously. If you have a tradition of finding TV shows at your local BL stores, then my hunch is that your probability of finding something is quite a bit better than mine.

I may stake out the York store tonight or tomorrow.
Old 11-20-10, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cubicle Morlock
I picked up Police Squad and Peaks, then after checking around realized that Twin Peaks Season 2 is sort of a dead end - Season 1 (stand alone) is OOP and doesn't include the premiere anyway. The current release of the above items is a full series box set - so basically you end up rebuying season 2. No wonder the season 2 set is being cleared out.

Originally Posted by JohnIan
Depends if you're a completest (like myself); all the commentaries on season one did not carry over to the 'series box', nor did the interviews that are part of season two.
Thanks for the tip! I'd been putting off buying TP on DVD as I have pretty much everything on VHS, either commercial or recorded from Bravo. Just picked up a brand new S1 set from EBay for a song!
Old 11-20-10, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Bridgeport Tacoma, Wa got the $6 children's batch, but a lead clerk whom i trust told me that they were not going to get any of the TV box sets.

I wish BL the best of luck getting $6 for the kid's batch, imo it's a bunch of junk.
Old 11-20-10, 07:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I stopped in my two local NJ Big Lots on Friday 11/20 and asked clerks in both stores if they'd be getting in any of the $6 TV box sets other stores are getting. They were either clueless or deliberately uninformative (take Your pick) and clamied to not know what I was referring to. Welcome to New Jersey...
Old 11-20-10, 07:51 PM
Cool New Member

The Louisville, KY area stores appear to have been picked clean of their TV series. Aside from one spotting of The Love Boat S1V2 and a bunch of The Daily Show DVDs, they all disappeared here, literally overnight. They stayed in stock for over a week and it appears somebody bought all of them...
Old 11-20-10, 07:59 PM

Picked up Twin Peaks S2...

The only box sets they had out were Twin Peaks, Melrose Place and Brotherhood...
Old 11-20-10, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by thetao
I've been doing the Big Lots thing for well over a year, and the ONLY TV boxed sets I recall seeing are Coach Season 2, Kate & Allie Season 1, Grosse Point - Complete Series, and maybe something for Spin City. That's it!
Damn no Joey Season 1, I would have been pissed!
Old 11-20-10, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

I still see LOTS of Joey's in pawn shops!
Old 11-20-10, 08:53 PM

Saw a new display at one store with alot of Nickelodeon pre-school dvds. Also a few new DreamWorks dvds Sinbad, Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-rabbit, The Bee Movie 2-disc. Also saw the 1-disc of Iron Man.

Bought another new dvd:

Father of the Pride Complete Series.

Last edited by darkhawk; 11-21-10 at 06:00 AM.
Old 11-21-10, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
I still see LOTS of Joey's in pawn shops!
Yeah, me too, but I think he meant the TV series that was called JOEY.
Old 11-21-10, 02:47 AM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

My store had a few copies of Twin Peaks, Melrose S1, and Daily Show. I was hoping to find some Gomer Pyle sets for my mom, but no dice. I did manage to locate one copy of Sabrina S3 randomly filed in with the DVD pallets. I nearly missed that one since it's keepcase sized. I wouldn't have given that set a second look if it was over $6, but now I'm on a mission to find the first two.
Old 11-21-10, 05:29 AM

"ONLY TV boxed sets I recall seeing are Coach Season 2, Kate & Allie Season 1, Grosse Point - Complete Series, and maybe something for Spin City. That's it!"

My local BL still has several COACH and KATIE AND ALLIE from past shipments unsold and so many of SPIN CITY they pulled them and marked them down for clearance at $3 and stuck them on the clearance aisle (as are a few other dvds, don't forget to check this aisle folks).
Old 11-21-10, 06:17 AM

If my Big Lots hasn't even heard of these TV sets I am not fighting my way in there on BF for nothing. It's a shame because I want a lot of those. If they get more in December maybe I'll run across some.
Old 11-21-10, 02:28 PM

To save time and fuel, I opted to call several central PA BL stores this afternoon, instead of going for a drive. The result: of the stores that could give me a mostly definite answer, nobody has the TV boxed sets, either on the floor or in the stock room. But at least two stores mentioned getting a truck on Monday, and to check back later. So it's possible the shipment is just late. I don't want to spread disinformation, and so will post my findings later in the week!
Old 11-21-10, 05:09 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

The NoHo store on Vineland has a big display of those $6 kids titles. One I don't remember being mentioned:

Father of the Pride - complete series
Old 11-21-10, 05:35 PM

Cased a couple of stores Clinton Township MI and Roseville MI; neither had the BF TV sets, but both had tons of 6 dollars kids movies/seaons. Picked up Father of the Pride season 1 and Zoey 101 season 1: 6 bucks each. Waiting to see what happens BF.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.